Main Menu

Marvel Superheroes hit Netflix

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 May, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Yahtzee

Couldn't be looking forward to season 2 of Daredevil more. I'd go as far to say that it's the best onscreen Marvel property to date.

Satanist

I'm still hopeful of seeing a good version of Punisher so please, please don't fuck this up.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

COMMANDO FORCES

COMMANDO FORCES

The trailer for Season 2 of Daredevil is online and it's a visual re-cap for most of it but they do show new stuff at the end, including a certain vigilante who doesn't mind killing people!

DAREDEVIL SEASON 2

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

I, Cosh

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 23 October, 2015, 02:50:13 PM
Jessica Jones full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NMA6lC-Ag
Watched the first episode of this and, well, it's a bit shit really. Irritating voiceover, cutesy cinematic alcohol abuse and annoying, squelchy "is it real" flashback effects.

Don't know anything about the comics other than it turned out not to be the Jennifer Garner tie in I always assumed when I saw it in FP.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 November, 2015, 04:18:23 AMWatched the first episode of this and, well, it's a bit shit really. Irritating voiceover, cutesy cinematic alcohol abuse and annoying, squelchy "is it real" flashback effects.

I thought the same after the first episode or two and I started to think they really dropped the ball. I don't know why they bothered with the v.o. as they drop it soon enough, never to come back.

Then it surprised me - the series got better after the second episode, a lot better, to the point where the show ends up being far superior to Daredevil. It never forgets its themes and manages to play with and invert them continually thoughout the run; and all the characters, even the secondary players, have decent storylines that all pay-off. As with Daredevil, Jessica Jones can also boast having the most interesting and compelling villain to come out of any Marvel/DC comic adaptation. They manage to make his seemingly all too powerful superpower work by limiting it through his stunted personality - it only fumbles a bit when they try to give some 'science' as to how his power of persuasion works.

amines2058

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 November, 2015, 05:58:59 AM

I thought the same after the first episode or two and I started to think they really dropped the ball. I don't know why they bothered with the v.o. as they drop it soon enough, never to come back.

Then it surprised me - the series got better after the second episode, a lot better, to the point where the show ends up being far superior to Daredevil. It never forgets its themes and manages to play with and invert them continually thoughout the run; and all the characters, even the secondary players, have decent storylines that all pay-off. As with Daredevil, Jessica Jones can also boast having the most interesting and compelling villain to come out of any Marvel/DC comic adaptation. They manage to make his seemingly all too powerful superpower work by limiting it through his stunted personality - it only fumbles a bit when they try to give some 'science' as to how his power of persuasion works.

Hmm I may need to stick with it then as I watched the 1st two episodes over the weekend, and was slightly underwhelmed, and not bothered watching any more yet.

Professor Bear

For the most part it just seems to be a lot of leftovers from dusty old teen show Veronica Mars, right down to the "she was raped so she's tough now" origin - the comics didn't go this route, but the tv version seems to rub it in from around the eighth episode or so.
The voice-over comes and goes throughout the series, sometimes absent for episodes at a time, a pretty inconsistent device that seems to be used to fill stretches of an episode that would otherwise be wordless, or to reiterate plot details from previous episodes that will shortly come up again, but it pretty much never relates to the themes of the episode, making me think the VO is a post-production addition.  I hate the cheap-sounding soundtrack - I know they're going for a noir detective vibe but sometimes the background music reaches Dr Who-levels of intrusive.
The pacing is good, though, as it gets where it's going a lot quicker than you might expect, and there's at least a passing commitment to the MCU setting.  Ritter doesn't display a lot of range, there not being a great deal of difference between Before and After Jessica Jones, but she's at least consistent, while the guy who plays Luke Cage is more of a presence than he is a personality.  Some board members may also enjoy the sight of a noble junkie being saved from an evil cyclist - no, really.

Overall, pretty patchy, but likely there's more good than bad.

Mardroid

I watched a few episodes Sunday and on my day off yesterday.

I'm largely enjoying it. Ridiculously raunchy at times [spoiler](comics have grown up! Let's show some explicit rumpy pumpy. Saucepot  in cow girl mode just broke bed with her super-strength Humpty tumpy. Wahaaay! Etc.)[/spoiler] but the characters and story are pretty good.

I wasn't too sure of that Cops acting.

I saw some criticism concerning Tenant's portrayal of Kilgrave as being 'over the top' (not on this forum, to be fair) but I think he makes a terrific villain.

Theblazeuk

I am in the 2-episode party at the mo. I think it's a bit weak so far but I'm confident Killgrave will make a good villain once it kicks in. Jessica's personal life and her building are a bit terrible and the acting is a bit ropey. Again though, Tennant does what he does pretty well. I'm looking forward to a bit of villainous over-the-top.

Playing the what-if game, I think Killgrave and the backstory would have been better brought in later rather than sooner. A couple of unrelated (or ultimately related) cases that took up an episode or two could have let us know Jessica so we cared about the mysterious flashes and so on. As it was it was a bit strained.

Tiplodocus

I know nothing about JJ at all (though she was in a Mighty Avengers I read recently) so have nothing to compare this to.

Only seen first episode. Enjoyable enough so far. Bit slow. Didn't like voice over. Not sure I've found anyone to empathise with yet.
Will watch a bit more

D'Onforio was cool as Kingpin but as someone, possibly Cosh, pointed out, it was hard to figure out if he loved or hated the city and whether he wanted to save it or destroy it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 November, 2015, 05:58:59 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 November, 2015, 04:18:23 AMWatched the first episode of this and, well, it's a bit shit really. Irritating voiceover, cutesy cinematic alcohol abuse and annoying, squelchy "is it real" flashback effects.

Then it surprised me - the series got better after the second episode, a lot better, to the point where the show ends up being far superior to Daredevil.
Well, I stuck it out to the third episode but I thought that was abysmal. It's a bold choice to have such a completely unlikable protagonist but it needs a much better actor to carry it off. Ah'm oot.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

After sticking JJ through, I'm glad I did. David Tennant was great.

Jessica Jones herself never really became likable and her choices... well. The writing on this show is ridiculously bad at points, contrasting starkly with almost every scene Killgrave is actually in.

If you gave us a reason to care about Jessica before dropping the plot, if you removed the cutesy cinematic alcohol abuse (good turn of phrase) and kept the flashbacks out until the plot reared it's head - then it would probably have been pretty damn good. The voiceover could have gone completely or at least learned how to do it better. I swear Daredevil has a voiceover at points but never makes you think "Oh god that voiceover again how long since they remembered that".

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 November, 2015, 11:30:38 PM
Well, I stuck it out to the third episode but I thought that was abysmal. It's a bold choice to have such a completely unlikable protagonist but it needs a much better actor to carry it off. Ah'm oot.

Same here, hated the first episode. Halfway through the second we just thought "why are we wasting our time on this". It's a grey flat hateful world and if you compare it Daredevil which was almost instantly likeable JJ is basically early 00s cheesy sass mixed with ooh-isn't-this-dark cobblers. Didn't care about anyone in it. Didn't want to watch any more of it.

I think it represents a bit of a problem with the miniseries format as a whole actually - it's obvious from the other comments that it's obviously setting itself up for a big pay off. But this is like... what 12 hours of episodic television. If it doesn't grab me in the first few parts why the balls would I watch the whole thing through to that 'well-set-up' finale?

Nonsense.