Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Referencing the article "One man who made history" by another who seems just to make it up: Boris on Churchill.

The author is at pains to point out how clumsy Boris is (which was never in doubt, shurely?), only to be very clumsy themselves with this comment: "Hitler did not plan to kill the disabled, as he claims: most of the disabled in Germany in the 1930s were war veterans."

I begs to differs (as the Gronk might say).  I don't know if Adolf had a soft spot for war vets, but his gang certainly didn't like hereditary disabilities (or diseases), and had a program of sterilization and euthanasia in place in a (mass murderous) attempt to homogenize the gene pool.

There really is nothing cuddly about Adolf, including the presented notion that it might be amusing to watch him put the finishing touches to his swastika and thus present him as a sort of bumbling Mr Bean like character.  Threadjacking, not bootjacking.  Please.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

Ever wonder what Alan Sugar did to end up in the House of Lords?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 November, 2018, 11:27:40 PM
I begs to differs (as the Gronk might say).  I don't know if Adolf had a soft spot for war vets, but his gang certainly didn't like hereditary disabilities (or diseases), and had a program of sterilization and euthanasia in place in a (mass murderous) attempt to homogenize the gene pool.

That does seem the most contentious part of his review. Evans is very much an expert on the subject, though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_J._Evans

Frank

Evans is making a spoddy distinction between different kinds of disability, isn't he? The Nazis didn't want to murder all people with disabilities.

Nazi Germany was pursuing an insane idea of genetic purity*. According to their genocidal misconstruction of Darwin, WWI veterans who lost a leg weren't contaminating the gene pool, but Down Syndrome kids who reached maturity might**

So Evans is taking issue with the imprecise, careless nature of Johnson's phrasing, which is his problem with Johnson's book in general. Not sure this necessarily reveals a lack of knowledge*** -  Evans just finds Johnson's carelessness professionally contemptible and revealing of character.

* See previous discussion concerning Heinrich Himmler's career as a rival to Colonel Sanders and how the crude, metaphorical understanding of heredity afforded by battery farming influenced Nazi ideology on racial purity and eugenics.

** Deeply offensive, unscientific horse shit, obviously.

*** I'm fairly sure Johnson knows why German institutions orchestrated the mass murder of vulnerable people, he just treats it with the same vague generalities as the biographical details of the life he's recording and the future of the country

Frank

Frank

This is a very old piece, but it's the finest bit of writing I've read all year.  Jon Ronson goes inside the tawdry world of the odd goblin currently taking up residence on ITV and the Australian jungle.

The Noel sections are pure Partridge, the timing a work of finely honed genius, but the stuff about the contestants is warm and sympathetic. I was crying with laughter by the time I finished:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/oct/21/broadcasting.arts

CalHab

It's certainly the best piece of writing by a former member of Frank Sidebottom's band that I've read this year.

JayzusB.Christ

Great little read all the same.  Though I'm surprised Edmonds still has a job after murdering Clive Anderson in 1997.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

It's hard to say no to someone holding a rocket launcher.

Trout

I miss Frank Sidebottom. He was the greatest comedian in history. One joke: Frank isn't funny. Audience of one: Frank.

Just fucking genius.

JayzusB.Christ

On a trawl through research on the Docs Duvalier (for no real purpose) I find this unfortunately named programme.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPPADEP
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 November, 2018, 07:01:39 PM
On a trawl through research on the Docs Duvalier (for no real purpose) I find this unfortunately named programme.

Aaaah - PEPPADEPig! 

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Frank on 23 November, 2018, 07:19:33 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 November, 2018, 07:01:39 PM

Aaaah - PEPPADEPig! 

Yup. 

Also, someone really should invent a character called Peppa Doc Duvalier.

Hawkmumbler