Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heath C Ackley

What terrible news RIP Ron
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

von Boom

Such sad news about Ron Smith. RIP.

JayzusB.Christ

Aw, man.  First Carlos and now Ron.  Glad I managed to tell him (via Sharky's tribute book) that he made my childhood special.  I was going to call him at the time but sadly I bottled it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

McGurk76

RIP Ron Smith.
Has anyone drawn more Dredds than him? Am literally asking. Who has drawn the most?
A major talent.

Tiplodocus

As more than a few people have said, I didn't appreciate him enough on initial reading but my, when revisiting DREDD a decade or more later, did I come to appreciate how much he brought to the party!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: McGurk76 on 10 January, 2019, 03:46:01 PM
RIP Ron Smith.
Has anyone drawn more Dredds than him? Am literally asking. Who has drawn the most?
A major talent.

This doesn't quite cover your question, but worth a read anyway: Heroes of 2000AD.

My money would be on King Carlos for most Dredds (if I gambled).

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 11 January, 2019, 05:45:48 PM
RIP Ron Smith.
A major talent.

This doesn't quite cover your question, but worth a read anyway: Heroes of 2000AD.

My money would be on King Carlos for most Dredds (if I gambled).

I'll leave it to better nerds than me to tot up the page count, but the 2000d website describes him as "The most prolific Dredd artist in the character's history " and I'm not going to argue with Tharg.

Influence is so much more than page count however - If Wagner & Ezquerra were the parents of Dredd, Ron Smith was the architect of Mega City One

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 January, 2019, 11:20:20 PM
RIP Ron Smith.
A major talent.

I'll leave it to better nerds than me to tot up the page count, but the 2000d website describes him as "The most prolific Dredd artist in the character's history " and I'm not going to argue with Tharg.

Influence is so much more than page count however - If Wagner & Ezquerra were the parents of Dredd, Ron Smith was the architect of Mega City One

Carlos has drawn the most single episodes of Dredd, but Ron (by virtue of the Daily Star) has drawn most Dredd stories.
@jamesfeistdraws

Spikes

Such sad news, if not wholly unexpected. A good age, in his early 90s wasn't he, but still...

I absolutely loved his work on Dredd. So many of the stories he illustrated are forever first in my mind when I think of Dredd. And nobody captured the bizarre and eccentric nature of MC1, and it's denizens like Ron.

I never got to meet him, alas. I missed his last signing appearance at FP back in 2013? I kicked myself not long after that, for not going. To have met him, and to have said thank you, would have been a memory to cherish.

A quiet and a unassuming chap - in regards to his talent, it would seem.

And for a period, not a Dredd artist that had gotten much in the way of the applause he so rightly deserved. Pleased in later years that many folks, on here and elsewhere, shared the love they felt for Ron and his work.

And very pleased, that via Facebook, his daughter and grand-daughter, came to learn of the very high regard we fans held him in.

So, to Ron Smith. The quiet genius, who's work remains a fundamental part of the bedrock of Dredd.

Thank you, and may you rest in piece, sir.

Richard

A great shame. I loved his work, especially the way he drew the city. I hope Tharg puts together a collection of his work soon.

sheridan

Lorna Doom, bassist with early LA punk band Germs.

sheridan

Professor Bear

"YOU ORRIBLE LITTLE SHITE AWK!" was a regular insult where I grew up, a testiment to how dated and terrible Northern Irish television was Davies made an impact on young brains.  Still amazing to think that distinctive voice never got to occupy a Disney villain at some point.

The Legendary Shark

He was always one of my favourite actors growing up. I loved his "double act" with Donald Sinden in Never the Twain and, of course, his turn in It Ain't Half Hot, Mum as the frustrated warrior attached to a concert party was sublime.

"Oh dear. How sad. Never mind."

:(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I actually thought he'd died years ago, but in a way I'm happy to hear he reached a nice age.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"