Main Menu

Got Wii?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 09 December, 2006, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I noticed today it says DVD playback (optional) on the specs

So what do you have to do to get DVDs to play? Wondering because it means one less bit of kit in the games room if it does DVDs as well.

(still waiting for my Wii - I think I'll start hunting the shops again next week and cancel my order).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Oh and, I know this is cheeky, but if none of you are bothered about being memebers on NINTENDOVIP, would you be so kind as to send me the PIN numbers from the cards in your game/console boxes. I can build a fine collection of screensavers and wallpapers for Tiny Tips to print off and decorate his room.

I was sorting out the various games boxes this afternoon and came across about 2000 points worth - enough to keep me in PIKMIN mobile phone ring tones until I retire...

Dan Kelly

At the moment the Wii doesn't do DVD playback - although the discs themselves are DVDs...

There's some debate as to whether the Wii has the hardware to be able to support DVD playback - in which case there would be room for Nintendo to perhaps add DVD playback as a software update in the future.

Dan

The Amstor Computer

As I understand it, the major obstacle to enabling DVD playback with a software update (a hypothetical DVD Channel) is that the audio out isn't up to standard for a DVD player.

There will be a version released later in 2007 with DVD playback out of the box, but it may well be limited to Japan-only, just like the DVD-enabled Panasonic Q version of the GameCube.

Banners

You may want to keep hold of those Vip points as you'll be able to swap them for Wii points soon and put them towards VC downloads...

m@

Tiplodocus

Swap them for Nintendo points? In which case, I take back my cheeky request - I thought they were only good for getting printouts of Mario origami and such.

The Amstor Computer

Nah - mbanners is bang on the money. When you set up your Wii you'll be asked to link it to your Nintendo online account. Each Virtual Console game you download will be logged in the same way that any games you buy and register are, and once the system is up & running you will be credited with Stars for each Virtual Console game you buy. Nintendo will also be adding Wii Points to the catalogue that you can buy with your accumulated Star Points, but it's not clear what each Wii Point will cost. As I've got several thousand Star Points, I'm hoping it will be a 1:1 ratio - that would be a good £40-50 worth of VC downloads :-)

BrianO

I've added everyone.

My Wii is numbered :-)

7509 6147 7078 2099.

And there's a little hitler for anyone who wants it.

SamuelAWilkinson

Now I've gone and Wii'd meself and sworn at me router till it behaved, here's my number:

4762 6675 0488 5736.

You'll all be added forthwith.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Tiplodocus

It must be said I do love my Wii when I get a chance to sit down and play it.

Zelda: OK, so it's the same game - again - but when it's such a good game, you can't really complain.  The boss battles are fabulous.

Call of Duty 3: Jolly good fun if slightly on rails and repetitive.  I like the short fifteen minute chunks you can break it down into. Using the sniper rifle was great fun and having to" "hand crank" mortars and field guns seemed so right.

Wii Sports - Easter Sunday. My two brothers. Boxing. With a Mii Jesus. And a lot of beer. Hilarious like nothing else I've ever played on a console.

Wii Play - Tanks is brilliant. So is Shooting game. And how restful is the billiards?
Wii Vote - strangely addictive.

Wii Opera Browser - When we banned Teenage Tips from the PC for downloading too mucch pr0n, this meant he could still stay in touch with his mates on myspace etc.  Also Wiicade has loads of browser friendly games.

Super Monkey Ball - gaming crack.

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Tiny Tips quite liked this but I couldn't do with it myself.  Possibly the worst example of controls I've seen so far.

I've had no problem playing Gamecube games at all (though it doesn't like cheat discs) and it even takes the Bongos and the Dance Mat.

Other Stuff
I've used an SD card to display some photos so far but haven't managed to get it to play any MP3 stuff ('cos I don't have any on an SD card).

Not tried any of the mailing stuff too and from people yet.

Oh and I vaguely recall getting a mail saying taht they were going to start charging for the browser. Any idea when and how much?

I think my next purchase will be Resident Evil 4 Wii.  Any other recommendations?

Everyone should have a Wii.  And I'm saying that before they've even released SUPER MARIO GALAXY.

The Amstor Computer

Any other recommendations?

Kororinpa -- Marble-rolling madness

Mercury Meltdown Revolution -- More rolling madness

Excite Truck -- A crazy-fast arcade racer with BIG TRUCKS

Eledees -- A fun, quirky little first-person puzzle/action game

Mario Strikers Charged Football -- The first proper online title and an utter blast in multiplayer

Warioware Smooth Moves -- Another hilarious multiplayer title, with dozens of utterly bizarre microgames

SSX Blur -- A solid snowboarding game, though with a bit of a steepish learning curve

BTW - try sticking with Sonic. It forces you to level up his skills and there are some frustratingly bad levels, but when you get him charged up (making the controls faster and more responsive) it will click.

The Amstor Computer

Forgot to add:

Games due out in the next few months that will be worth a look --

Trauma Centre: Second Opinion -- a "Wiimake" of the great DS title, complete with extra content and Wii controls

Pangya Golf with Style -- A fully-fledged arcade golf game

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree -- A home console version of the fun DS puzzler

Super Paper Mario -- The latest in the sublime Paper Mario series, this time with a more action-y style

Scarface -- A late-ish port of the GTA-alike featuring everyone's favourite foul-mouthed druglord. It was good fun on the PS2/Xbox, and while there doesn't seem to be any new content, Wii owners out for a dose of sandbox gameplay should take a peek

Manhunt 2 -- Ultraviolence, Rockstar style. Very gory, morally dubious stuff, but the first was a reasonably good stealth/action title & this is shaping up to be at least as good. Oh, and you can use the Wiimote to stab computer characters in the nuts, or garotte them with the Wiimote and nunchuk!

Roger Godpleton

I've played the GC version of Twilight Princess all the way through (underrated, in spite of all the praise). Is it worth getting the Wii version when I eventually shell out for my white slab?

Also my DS broke. Again.:(
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Amstor Computer

I've played the GC version of Twilight Princess all the way through (underrated, in spite of all the praise). Is it worth getting the Wii version when I eventually shell out for my white slab?

Nope. The Wii version has a smoother framerate and better aiming controls, but there's no substantial difference between the two titles. I love the Wii version and can't imagine going back to the GC setup, but I couldn't recommend it to someone who had already bought, played and completed the GC version - unless, of course, you can find it dirt-cheap and want to replay the game anyway.

Roger Godpleton

I see...

On a similar note, does the Virtual Console take anything away from the original experience of the games on offer? I've been stuck on Ocarina for months now due to a series of dodgy N64 controllers, but I keep having a nagging feeling that the VC will be somehow inferior. (Obviously I'm a complete loon).
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!