Main Menu

Advice please...

Started by Rex Banner, 03 July, 2008, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Banner

I'm currently getting rid of a wasps nest that has set up home on our balcony.

Thought it would be appropriate to ask the hive mind for advice...

Wake

Spray them at night when they are all in the nest.
Be careful.

Bolt-01

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back, never return to a hive once lit...

Hold on, that's fireworks...

Get a gang of local kids you don't like together and tell them it is a death Pinata...

Richmond Clements

Just this morning I've had to contact the Council pest control dept about a wasp nest in one of my recycling centres.

You're council fellas will probably do it for you- but chances are they'll charge you.

Wait until it's cooler and they're alseep then attack!

Rex Banner

Council wanted £47 to get rid of it so as it was quite small I thought I would be brave/stupid and attempt to do it myself. They set up nest in a middle drawer of a unit we hadn't got round to taking to recycling yet. It was right underneath our front room window so I wanted to move it away. It doing so the drawer slid open and split the nest. I've moved it a bit further away now and left it exposed in the hope they'll bugger off. Going to see what pest control I can get hold and treat it later today.

How come these things only happen on your day off?

Richmond Clements

QuoteHow come these things only happen on your day off?

You're just lucky like that.

WoD

I know you don't really want one around...but they are cool to look at.  The inlaws had a MASSIVE one in their attic...council had to deal with it, and it was amazing to see the size and detail of the thing.

Peter Wolf

Wasps are a pain.

In Hastings we had wasps in the roof that had to be got rid of but worse than that twice they had built nests underground by the side of the driveway which meant going past the nest all the time .These 2 were quite large and pest control had to evict them.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

IndigoPrime

We thought we had a wasp problem this summer. Turned out a load of masonry bees were using part of our gardens to 'nest'. Poor buggers all got flooded during the heavy rains, though, and so we've not seen them since.

Rex Banner

All dealt with and done now. Fascinating to watch though. Moved the nest about 1.30 and it broke apart into two main sections and a few other bits. By 5.30 the other bits had been taken apart and used to join the two main bits together and begin rebuilding the nest. Found a piece of the outer section of the nest and although it looked very solid was incredibly light and delicate.

This was taken just before I had to spray it.