Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

As a fanboy myself, the most amusing thing about all this is how Star Wars fandom is going to deal with not having Lucas as a whipping boy any more.  Oh this is going to make those debates about his 'disregard for canon' seem as utterly trivial as they always were.

If anyone involved has any sense they'll chuck those legendary 'treatments' in the bin, hire Hamill for a force-ghost appearance only, skip ahead 200 years and tell a whole new story in the old setting.  Sadly the laws of the business mean that the next film will be wall-to-wall with reprises and heavy-handed knowing homages to the previous 6, with some Johnny Depp thrown in for luck. 

Given that everything we've seen over 6 films and 45 hours of cartoons has been recycled and stretched ever thinner from Lucas' original notepads and McQuarrie's concept drawings, along with a strong dose of making-it-up-as-he-goes-along, the idea that there's anything left in those 30-year old 'treatments' that would sustain even one new movie is very hard to believe. 

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2012, 12:10:00 AM...the idea that there's anything left in those 30-year old 'treatments' that would sustain even one new movie is very hard to believe. 

It's as if a thousand ideas all called out in pain and suddenly were silenced.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

So, does Lucasfilm include Lucasarts? Either way, can somebody just get the fuck around to putting X-Wing and Tie Fighter on Steam?
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 October, 2012, 12:17:10 AM
So, does Lucasfilm include Lucasarts? Either way, can somebody just get the fuck around to putting X-Wing and Tie Fighter on Steam?

It's the whole shebang.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 October, 2012, 12:09:28 AM
These aren't the sequels you're looking for. It's just about business.

Move along.

Move along.

The thing is, I'm not looking for any sequels. The horrible thing is, I will go and see it anyway, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. I didn't bother going to see Episode III at the cinema, I only saw it for the first time a few years ago. It was a hungover Sunday afternoon and it came on ITV. I was glad I didn't waste me money at the Odeon. It's far too early to judge this though, but the idea of a post-Lucas Star Wars is intriguing. It was bound to happen eventually, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 October, 2012, 12:17:10 AM

Yes. That needs to happen. Also X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

The first move by Waltenstein will be the Christmas theatre release of The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Rejoice!

DrRocka

2000ad, prog 661, 13th Jan 1990, page 20, panel 2.
Judge Dredd mops up after the Mr Shelley incident, in the background is a poster advertising the latest Star Wars film: Jedi Ewoks Eaten Alive!

Oh, how I scoffed at the time.

Oh how I know now that John Wagner can see the future.

And, my children, it is fucking grim.
Never ever bloody anything ever

DrRocka

*or Will Simpson. One of those two buggers is a Time Lord, I tell you.
Never ever bloody anything ever

shaolin_monkey

The chances of successfully creating another good trilogy is approximately 3,720 to 1 !!

Banners

Does this enhance or ruin the chances of properly restored hi-res releases of the original untouched trilogy?

Richmond Clements

shaolin_monkey

Good against Lucasfilm is one thing. Good against Disney? That's something else.

Steve Green

Quite surprised that it was LFL, ILM, Lucasarts etc. seemed like a good price for what they got.

As for the films - they'd have to be pretty spectacular to reignite any interest I have in Star Wars.

I wonder if he's signed away his veto on releasing the originals?

JOE SOAP

Don't expect 'untouched' OT Blu-Rays too soon:

Disney's $4 billion deal for Lucasfilm does not include the right to release the original 'Star Wars' -- unless a new deal can be forged with Fox.

Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/30/fox-retain-rights-to-all-existing-star-wars-films/

Rog69

I wonder if I can finally get my 6 year old daughter interested in Star Wars now that Leia is officially a Disney Princess?

It's disappointing that the deal wont allow Disney to release the OT, the only Star Wars thing that I would be interested in parting with cash for right now is a remastered and cleaned up HD release of the unmolested OT.

Still, my inner nerd can't help but be a little excited at the prospect of a new trilogy, especially one without George Lucas involved.