Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 22 April, 2017, 05:02:31 PMI'm not sure that is fair, there is a wealth of development in the prequel trilogy from the operation of the Republic, the form of the jedi order, the development of the sith, the rise of Palpatine and even the nature of the force itself. There was more than enough material in the prequel films to fire up another 18 years of expanded universe.

Apart from seeing the Senate, the Republic and Palpatine's pantomime chicanery – rather than it being talked about it in the OT – did the Sith 'develop' in the Prequels? The Master/Apprentice situation was there in the OT.

There seemed little new about the Force in the Prequels – it was still just Jedi v Dark Side, circular Yoda musings and Ghost Jedi. Palpatine's 'use the Force to conquer death' was only a ruse and Midichlorians/spontaneous pregnancies are the things everyone wants to forget. The nature of the Force is explained by Obi-Wan in one paragraph in A New Hope and it still says more about the Force than all the Prequels did.

Quote from: SIP on 22 April, 2017, 05:02:31 PMOther than that we got yet more new trooper designs and a couple of mostly forgettable environments, along with far too many distracting fan-pleasing cameos...

The Prequels did a lot of that too, for 3 films.

SIP

I'm bowing out of the Rogue One debate at this point as I'm destined to go forever around in circles with my arguments. I'm genuinely surprised by the Rogue One love, of all Star Wars films I'm stunned it's not getting the hardest ride, and yet it seems popular. Fair enough, I'm only pleased for star wars to be a continuing success so I'm happy that it has an audience.

Star Wars is a huge part of my life, has been for 40 years, so these films have always meant a lot to me. With Rogue One I have had my first real damp squib Star wars experience. I just find it incredibly generic, predictable and,  for at least the first hour, a complete mess. I just can't take much from the experience.  I think the prequels have lots of ideas in them, and though they aren't great, I find them all completely superior in imagination and vision to Rogue One.

I really can't understand anyone comparing Rogue One to the original trilogy......just can't. Not even close.

Saw this review today, and I can find a lot of common ground with this reviewer:

https://youtu.be/WODXBROSh8c

Anyway, can't wait for episode 8. Love Rey and Kylo and just thrilled to have a new film of Luke Skywalker.

I'll reserve judgement on the han solo movie as I can't picture han solo without Harrison (my all time favourite actor), the new Indiana Jones movie is my number one anticipated film......love Indy.

Cheers!

SIP

Oh, and for the Force Awakens....I can't hate on anything that gave me such a cool Han Solo figure! 😊

TordelBack

New jacket.

Those are amazing figures.

SIP

Thanks Tordel.....hot toys are my current ruin.

Sold all of my modern 3.75" (never sell the vintage) to fund them. Damn they are an expensive hobby! Still, Chewie is on the way to keep Han company 😊 (can't have Han without Chewie.....though Chewie is proving to be less faithful post Han's death) .  Then I think I need to have a break so that I can still afford to feed the kids.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 22 April, 2017, 08:21:16 PMI really can't understand anyone comparing Rogue One to the original trilogy......just can't. Not even close.

I think one of the good things about Rogue One is that it doesn't need to be compared to the OT – it's an addendum to them. Star Wars with a different tone and texture rather than the next episode cycle.

Goaty

Beautiful photographs by Annie Leibovitz

DrRocka

That Luke and Leia one is breathtaking.
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Quote from: DrRocka on 24 May, 2017, 09:28:05 PM
That Luke and Leia one is breathtaking.

It is. And I like the Billie Lord one too, although doubt it has much to do with the film. Laura Dern looks great.

Looks like they really going with Planet of The Opera  look for the Dubrovnik location - I like it no more than I did when I thought it was a mistaken rumour. Hopefully it pulls together into something different.

SIP

I'm very excited for this one. I'm hoping this is the film that tries something new and takes a few more risks. And the proper return of luke skywalker is what I have been excited about since it was revealed that they were making episode vii.

And, it'll help me forget about Rogue One 😊

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2017, 09:58:07 PMLooks like they really going with Planet of The Opera  look for the Dubrovnik location - I like it no more than I did when I thought it was a mistaken rumour. Hopefully it pulls together into something different.

It might show us the rich gangster/elite of SW in the way the Prequels didn't. Not seeing Luke & Leia bow-out together in 9 will be a regret.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 May, 2017, 10:16:28 PM
Not seeing Luke & Leia bow-out together in 9 will be a regret.

A total pisser in so many ways.

JamesC

Nice pics. I kind of wish Luke was sporting the dark cloak. The black suit and green saber look in ROTJ is far preferable to the brown bath-robe look in my opinion.

CalHab

Quote from: JamesC on 25 May, 2017, 09:02:57 AM
Nice pics. I kind of wish Luke was sporting the dark cloak. The black suit and green saber look in ROTJ is far preferable to the brown bath-robe look in my opinion.

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

JamesC