Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 December, 2017, 11:18:46 AM
guess loads of fans (including me and my son) will automatically go and see it regardless of any trailers or advertising.

I pre-booked seats for an afternoon showing on the 16th — the tickets had been on sale for a day and that showing was at least 75% booked already. I think it'll do just fine.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I think there's an air of cautious optimism that possibly means there's less to say?
When people don't know whether to expect terrible or amazing there's lots to debate. I think most people expect this one to range somewhere between 'quite good' and 'absolutely brilliant'. There are fewer nay-sayers to shoot down and the more-optimistic seem slightly less delusional.

radiator

QuoteI guess there was a big hoo-ha about The Force Awakens as it was the first film in the franchise since the underwhelming second (first) trilogy, and the trailer had the Millennium Falcon, Stormtroopers etc., reminding so many of us of our youth.

Yeah totally, the response was bound to be a bit muted compared to the build up to TFA, and maybe that's all this is.

Should say again, I don't think there's any chance this movie will flop, I've just noticed that the rabid fanboy hype machine hasn't really kicked into high gear yet - and if it hasn't by now, it probably isn't going to. From a few of the responses here, it seems that I'm not alone in that thought.

Quoteall looks pretty samey, dunnit? Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon, lightsaber battles, etc etc, same old same old - even more so than previous films. I don't see much to get excited about. It looks the absolute definition of 'generic Star Wars movie'.

It's weird - I have very mixed feelings about The Force Awakens, but there are still moments in that first full trailer that still give me goosebumps. The Last Jedi trailer, by contrast, just kind of washes over me. There isn't a single shot in it that really moves the needle in terms of making me excited to see the movie. As you say, it just looks like more of the same. What's worse is that form the look of the trailer, it looks like this film will pay homage to/rip off Empire Strikes Back every bit as much as TFA does the original movie, which seems a bit disappointing...

matty_ae

According to Forbes the 'I'm not as excited to see The Last Jedi' feeling is intentional

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/22/star-wars-the-last-jedi-aims-for-near-record-200m-debut/#680f77911190

Makes sense trying to keep expectations lower and then over-deliver. I think there's going to be some story twists that we haven't seen in any of the comms so far.

Professor Bear

Things can always go sideways - there's a reason so many critics keep gambling that this Marvel movie will be the one that breaks the streak.  Even with a sure-fire hit on your hands, a fresh coat of paint on overly-familiar tropes will only get you so far: just ask the blokes putting the fourth Star Trek reboot movie together, or that third Amazing Spider-Man movie, or whatever that billion-dollar YA franchise was that utterly tanked on its third installment.

radiator

QuoteI think there's going to be some story twists that we haven't seen in any of the comms so far.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier. I think there's a fair chance that Disney are feeling so confident about what they have up their sleeve, they are deliberately holding a lot of stuff back until the film is out. IIRC we've barely seen anything about the new cast members in any of the promotional stuff so far, which is a good sign I'd say.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I fully go along with the notion that because Rian Johnson is directing, this will be a slam dunk. Of his films I've only seen Looper, which was decent, nothing more nothing less.

Without wanting to be unduly negative, I think that if TLJ is anything less than outstanding, and if it doesn't deliver some genuinely surprising plot developments and fresh ideas, I think it's probably time for me to admit to myself that my Star Wars fandom really only extends to the original trilogy, and bow out for all future entries.

radiator

Another example of the lack of hype - I remember that when the trailer for TFA hit, it felt like an event. At my work the whole office came to a halt and everyone gathered round to watch it. By comparison, when the trailer for TLJ was released, literally no one in the office aside from me cared, and the only response when I posted a link on our internal messaging system was a solitary 'meh'.

Pete Wells

Rian Johnson said that there's certain things they've chosen to share and things that they have categorically kept out of the trailer - which is obvious I suppose. Mark Hamill has also asked people not to spoil the film.

I have a really good feeling about it and can't bloody wait! 8 days and counting!!!

TordelBack

Yep, I am unusually optimistic too. I was very pessimistic about TFA, and a bit tepid about it coming out of a first viewing, but I've really warmed to more each time I've watched it. I like Johnson's attitude, and I'm looking forward to this new broken Luke. I'm mainly hoping they have done more with the 'homage' setpieces than ESB-with-jump-cuts. Ready to be entertained!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 December, 2017, 07:57:32 PM
. I'm mainly hoping they have done more with the 'homage' setpieces than ESB-with-jump-cuts.

The trailer does make it look like the Hoth battle may be spliced with the asteroid chase. Except with red dust!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ABCwarBOT

Whilst I'm glad to see more Star Wars with the original cast the last film though ok was pretty much a remake of A New Hope so let's hope this one's familiar but has something at least a bit new to offer.  The problem with Disney though is they'll probably end up flogging Star Wars to death and it'll go on and on for the rest of time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 06 December, 2017, 01:57:28 AM
The problem with Disney though is they'll probably end up flogging Star Wars to death and it'll go on and on for the rest of time.

Lucasfilm were all ready busy doing just that before Disney bought them: Lucas had plans to produce the sequels and a TV series himself but certain developments collapsed (plans for a bigger studio building got scuppered) so he threw his cards in and sold it all off.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 December, 2017, 02:45:29 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 06 December, 2017, 01:57:28 AM
The problem with Disney though is they'll probably end up flogging Star Wars to death and it'll go on and on for the rest of time.

Lucasfilm were all ready busy doing just that before Disney bought them: Lucas had plans to produce the sequels and a TV series himself but certain developments collapsed (plans for a bigger studio building got scuppered) so he threw his cards in and sold it all off.

There's no doubt that's true and Lucas didn't exactly give us good prequels (except for ROTS which wasn't too bad) but these big corporations don't know when to stop.   I suppose it could go either way though.

DrRocka

For me, Star Wars films are divided by Those With Han Solo In (fab), and Those Without Han Solo In (much less fab). Looks like they're all gonna be Those Without Han Solo In from now on, so I struggle to muster up enthusiasm. Hopefully this'll be the film that breaks the Han Solo rule....
Never ever bloody anything ever

Professor Bear

Am I the only person who didn't actually like Han Solo?  Don't get me wrong, I totally get that he went out like a punk, but I just never cared much for the character.