Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

One big thing about Snokes being basically the emperor is that we *already had the emperor*. In the first trilogy the Empire and its ruler had been the status quo for the characters entire lives (not obi wan). In the new movies, Snoke 'turned Ben' - when? How? He's also a big cgi person which is never compelling.

TordelBack

Absolutely, Luke should have only been a force ghost in the Sequel Trilogy (Like he was in the Legacy comics)  and Han and Leia happy and dead of old age. I wish it were so.

But no one pays a squintillion bucks for IP and then makes a movie series about brand new characters. 

For these films to exist the old gang had to be in them, and for my money they've been handled as well as they possibly could have been, while maintaining the agency of their successors.

I thought every scene with Luke in this one was pure gold. Hamill was great, Luke's storyline and interactions were all terrific.

Apestrife

Saw it today. Quite entertaining. Some really cool visuals when [spoiler]Diane ripped through Snoke's B52[/spoiler] or [spoiler]Leia eying the salty upcoming battlefield[/spoiler], but also a couple of things I wouldn't have put in a Star Wars movie (a yo mamma joke among other things). Interested in seeing how they'll finish the trilogy.

radiator

Quote from: Apestrife on 16 December, 2017, 10:48:53 PM
Interested in seeing how they'll finish the trilogy.

I'm not. For me, this was The Last One I'll Be Bothering With.

Rusty

Quote from: JLC on 16 December, 2017, 11:40:18 AM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 December, 2017, 10:51:19 AM
Can't argue with any of the above.

[spoiler]The Leia in space using the force was where the film jumped the shark for me. Not only was it ridiculous, even for a sci fi fantasy movie, but they fact they opened the doors to open space and everything was fine was even worse.
In regards to Yoda...I just assumed he was pissed. The books were saved anyway as they appeared on the Falcon at the end.[/spoiler]

It's a mess and gets worse the more I ponder it. Still, seeing it again tomorrow, with my Wife and Son, in 3-D.
We don't say "jumped the shark" anymore. We say [spoiler]"floated the princess"[/spoiler]
Is this an actual quip in the film? I mean, did someone actually use that as a line?

I think I'll give this one a swerve. For some (like Radiator) this was the one that snuffed their interest in Star Wars, from what I've been reading.  Critics gushed over TFA when it came out, so I watched that and found it to be a tepid, lazy effort that I was glad I never paid to go see. Rogue One was the same, and I went to see that because it looked like it was trying something different, at least tonally, and found it to be much the same in that it was basically a fan wank that bored the balls off me for 2 hours, but at least I got a laugh at Tarkin's CGI cartoon effort. I'm not falling for Disney's gravy train again after that. Besides, Blade Runner 2049 is still stuck in my head. It wouldn't be fair.

radiator

QuoteAbsolutely, Luke should have only been a force ghost in the Sequel Trilogy

Imagine how much more rich Kylo Ren's story in these last two films would have been if in his quiet reflective moments he was literally being haunted by the spirit of Luke. It would put a really different spin on the Ben/Luke dynamic from the OT.

radiator

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2017, 10:25:50 PM
One big thing about Snokes being basically the emperor is that we *already had the emperor*. In the first trilogy the Empire and its ruler had been the status quo for the characters entire lives (not obi wan). In the new movies, Snoke 'turned Ben' - when? How? He's also a big cgi person which is never compelling.

But that's exactly my point - We know next to nothing about the Emperor in Jedi, IIRC we don't even know his name ('Palpatine' coming from the old EU material if memory serves) - but no one asked 'How did he take over the galaxy?' 'How did he turn Vader?'.

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 16 December, 2017, 10:51:30 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 16 December, 2017, 10:48:53 PM
Interested in seeing how they'll finish the trilogy.

I'm not. For me, this was The Last One I'll Be Bothering With.

Perfectly understandable.

For me The Last Jedi felt a bit like BOND: SPECTRE did. A movie which tried something different, but had some very odd moments [spoiler]for example the building with a bunch of posters of people Bond encountered [/spoiler] lacking momentum.

SIP

Quote from: radiator on 17 December, 2017, 01:56:26 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2017, 10:25:50 PM

But that's exactly my point - We know next to nothing about the Emperor in Jedi, IIRC we don't even know his name ('Palpatine' coming from the old EU material if memory serves) - but no one asked 'How did he take over the galaxy?' 'How did he turn Vader?'.

The name "palpatine" actually came from the Kenner action figure I think.

auxlen

The trick with these new filsm is to treat it like the Star Trek Movies and NEW who. realise it is not made for you anymore and accept it. It doesnt make the films any better but it lessens the sting.

that being said

I liked:
[spoiler]That Rey's parent where nobodys. I personally hate that everybody is related to somebody in Star Wars[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I even enjoyed the porgs and laughed when one was squished on the falcon's window[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I originally disliked that the rebellion had so few men, then i realised,. they were on their arse and over the course of time all the men would have died as traditionally they would have been first on all the missions etc. made sense[/spoiler]

disliked:
[spoiler]Jumping the princess[/spoiler]
[spoiler]offscreen death of ackbar but the new audiences probably dont even know who he was[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Yoda[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP link=topic=44087.msg975432#msg975432 date=1513497150?
The name "palpatine" actually came from the Kenner action figure I think.

Goes right back to rhe (superb) prologue to the ADF Star Wars novelisation, source given as 'The Journal of the Whills'. But it appeared on the 1998 Hasbro 'Flasback' Emperor figure in the lead-in to TPM, just in case anyone had escaped having the identity of the eponymous baddie spoiled.

The big difference between wondering about the Emperor and about Snoke is that we didn't know anything about the back story of ANH - the Emperor dissolved the Imperial Senate, in TESB he turns out to be ugly and sense stuff, and that was that. With Snoke we know Luke and Vader destroyed the Sith, Han and Lando destroyed the Empire, and we worder where the heck he came from. It's different.

Much as I enjoyed the [spoiler]twist of his rapid demise, I hope we do get some closure. Ryan Johnson's free hand paid dividends in terms of unpredictability, but I hope it didn't come at the cost of never getting answers about Ben and Snoke. I don't for one second believe that JJ had thought about any of it either, but it'd be nice if someone had.[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Double post: was that really [spoiler]Adrian Edmonson talking about the Resistance's (ooo-err) evacuation?[/spoiler]

Pete Wells

Yeah, at this point I feel that [spoiler]Snoke is another Darth Maul, taken too soon. Still, I'm really quite looking forward to seeing how much Kylo fucks up the First Order. He's hardly leadership material, as we saw on Crate. [/spoiler]

While I found 8 to be patchy, I enjoyed it overall (I loved the ending) and am genuinely looking forward to seeing what the do with Episode 9.

Steve Green

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2017, 08:53:35 AM
Double post: was that really [spoiler]Adrian Edmonson talking about the Resistance's (ooo-err) evacuation?[/spoiler]

Yes.

Pete Wells

Just to add, the power Star Wars is amazing at bringing the absolute cock out in people. Obviously, most of my friends have the same or similar interests, so my social media is absolutely dominated by the last Jedi and I'm seeing all kinds of wierd behaviour!

This includes one guy who absolutely hates the film, but has been to see it four times in four days (cue loooong rants every single time.) There's the usual gang of trollish idiots who, as usual, haven't seen the film but feel the need to snidely comment on every single thread. It's odd. We'll add to that the Disney bashers, the people who simply have to tell us at every opportunity that they've never seen a Star Wars Film in their life (Hey, thanks for sharing that!)

I love Star Wars season, but it drives me potty too!