Main Menu

Elite could be returning to a PC near you.

Started by Albion, 06 November, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

I think the lack of missions on some formats was down to memory limitations, If I remember correctly the BBCB version didn't have missions either and you only got military lasers if you had the floppy version of the game rather than it being on tape.

The two missions I remember was the one with the sun going supernova in a particular system and you had to take a hold full of refugees to safety and were rewarded with a load of gems. There was another mission where you had to destroy another ship that had a cloaking device, which you then got to equip afterwards.

Colin YNWA

Well this has been funded - impressive given the amount they were after. So it looks like this old classic will be returning to people who can dock their ships soon!

Kanoobi

ThryllSeekyr

I just remembered this! So I decided to google Elite - Dangerous and found this site here.

The Elite: Dangerous Project!

It looks like they are still accepting backers and I might contribute. Though I wanted to find out if they take your money straight away. As I don't have all the money in my account that I want to contribute yet.

So I checked if this was on Kick-Starter as well.

Elite: Dangerous  -  Kick-Starter!

I was disappointed that it was fully funded on Kick-Starter and I missed out!

So I checked the information back at the original website and sent them a E-mail asking them what is going on and I'm still waiting on their reply.

While I'm waiting, I found this on one of official pages

QuoteWith the support of our fantastic community we have achieved the funds necessary to enter full development on Elite: Dangerous. Thank you to everyone that has helped us reach this stage!

Although the Kickstarter has ended we are still giving all of our fans the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of Elite: Dangerous, and get yourself a variety of rewards in the mean time. This includes copies of the game, access to the alpha and beta tests, and even the opportunity to get your name into the game as an NPC.

So, it looks as though it's still available for funding, even though the Kick-Starter closed.

I may still have a chance and you have a chance as well. I just want to know if they'll take my money now or later. I would prefer later!

I need to know.

Beadle68

I remember some cheat i used to do regarding docking and trading goods without having to fly to other systems which was set which other system/station you want to go to line up for docking and press warp just as you dock and hey presto you ended up docking in the next station. Correct me if im wrong its been 30years since i played it .

ThryllSeekyr

This is the answer I got, when I asked them what was going on with the funding for Elite - Dangerous!

QuoteHi Michael, Thanks for your enquiry. You're indeed right that the Kickstarter has ended and development was funded, we're already well under way with development in fact! We are still accepting pledges through our website, however these will take the money from your account straight away so you may want to wait until you have the money available. You can still register and check out the available pledge tiers thoug, without backing just yet, at http://elite.frontier.co.uk/register Kind regards, Ashley

So, they would be taking my money right away. Pity :(

I sent them a reply asking them how many more weeks will the funding be open, as I told them I would be able to finance them with the amount I'm willing to part with in 4-6 weeks and they replied with......

QuoteHi again Michael,

It shouldn't do, no. The only thing that may not be available around then might be some of the physical reward extras, such as T Shirts and art prints, as we want to lock those off after we send out the next round of deliverables. Copies of the game and other in-game rewards should still be available though.

Kind regards, Ashley

So, the next few weeks I'm going to be real frugal with my spending.

I really want this  :D

Rog69

Have you checked out Star citizen ThryllSeekyr?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12762-Star-Citizen-Enlist-Your-Friends

It looks a little more ambitious than Elite and has Chris Roberts behind it and has been very well supported so far. I think they are still taking pledges too.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Rog69Have you checked out Star citizen ThryllSeekyr?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12762-Star-Citizen-Enlist-Your-Friends

It looks a little more ambitious than Elite and has Chris Roberts behind it and has been very well supported so far. I think they are still taking pledges too.

:o Looking at that right now. It does look impressive as well. Sorry, I haven't heard of this Chris Roberts  :-\ I may or may not back it as well as Elite - Dangerous. Though I remember saving my pocket up and looking through various computer game stores looking for Elite back 1986. A year after it's release. One store had the game in stock. After finally getting myself a copy of the game. I took it home and the rest has been several years of enjoyment for me  :cool:

I grew up with this game  :cool:

I may still prefer a Cobra Mk 3 or even a Cobra MK 4 :D

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Rog69 on 02 August, 2013, 06:00:54 PM
Have you checked out Star citizen ThryllSeekyr?

I'm not sure if they even give you a physical copy of the game until your pledging from roughly $500-$1000, but I think I found the for me.......

QuoteFreelancer
available

The stars, my destination. The Freelancer package puts you in the front seat of a MISC Freelancer, the ideal craft for long-range exploration. Discover distant jump points and derelict starships and help stamp your name on the expanding galaxy.

$140.00 USD

It even says the same thing in my signature.....

The stars, my destination.

Rog69

Chris Roberts is the guy behind the Wing Commander series so he has a pretty good pedigree when it comes to space games.

I'll probably end up getting both myself anyway, the space combat genre has been much neglected of late when it comes to AAA titles.

I quite like the look of the Mercenary or Bounty Hunter packages for Star Citizen, they are still available and sound like a pretty good deal for £25-£30, I might even add on the $5 basic pledge to get the hull skin switch.

ThryllSeekyr

The Return of the Cobra

I just found out there were seven different Kick-Starters about Elite the famous award winning space trader/combat sim by David Braben and Ian Bell. Including it's fourth official sequel the upcoming and still in development Elite - Dangerous itself.

Quote"Elite: Dangerous" is the latest installment of a long series of epic space games, starting with "Elite" - one of the most successful games of the 1980s.

QuoteOur galaxy.  Its an awe inspiring, beautiful, vast place; with billions of star systems, planets, moons and asteroid fields just waiting to be explored, and exploited. The triumverate superpowers of the Empire, Federation and Independents dominate their core system volumes and constantly skirmish to outmaneouver one another on their frontiers. Outside their influence, in the vast majority of the galaxy, anarchy reigns supreme and spectacular discoveries await the bold.

Its dog-eat-dog out there – you need to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Whether you want to trade for profit between systems, take part in multiplayer co-op mission alliances, free-for-all group battles and team raids to bring down planetary economies, even tip the balance of power in the galaxy (for your own advantage, of course..), or simply explore the wonders of the galaxy (and who knows what you'll find out there..) is up to you.

Your second-to-second actions could have you taking the roles of trader, pirate, bounty hunter, leader, team player, opportunistic assassin, grand schemer, and more. You are at the centre of the action any time, any place and any way you choose – each action has a consequence, and influences the galaxy around you.

Starting with a few credits and a basic starship, carve your own path through the richest, largest gaming sandbox ever created, set against a backdrop of raw anarchy, galactic powerplays and intrigue.  Do whatever it takes to upgrade your ship's hull, engines, weapons, defences, cargo hold; constantly improve your capabilities and influence on your journey towards the most coveted rank in the history of gaming - 'Elite'.

Elite - Dangerous on Kickstarter

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project, but you can still fund it until April next year on it's own official site. Elite - Dangerous - Official Site

I'm still saving my money for one of the more limited reward tiers on this one.

Survivor -An Elite Dangerous - Gamebook

Armed with nothing more than a pencil, two dice and an eraser, do you have the skill and wits to thrive in an hostile galaxy?

ABOUT SURVIVOR

Survivor is a book with a difference... you are the protagonist. Whether the book has a successful- or premature- end will depend on the decisions that you take. Only you can decide which career to follow, which risks to take, and which enemies to fight.

Set in the 33rd century, in the Elite: Dangerous universe, Survivor immerses you in a galaxy where man has already gained a strong foothold. Hundreds of star systems have been colonised, interplanetary trade is flourishing, and space travel is common enough for spaceships to be affordable to the masses.

To people such as you.

Thrust into this universe, do you have what it takes to make a name for yourself?

Survivor - An Elite Dangerous - Gamebook

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project. I have contacted the founder of this Kick-Starter for more information. To see wether this still being be funded on another website and wether the Survivor - An Elite Dangerous - Gamebook will ever be available to general public outside the Kick-starter.

Elite  - Chronicles

QuoteRead, Write and Direct your own story in the Elite Dangerous Universe....

Elite Chronicles on Kick-Starter

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project, and I'm still unsure about funding on it's own official site. I have contacted it's founder as well about wether the Elite Chronicles will become available to the general public outside of the Kick-Starter.

You can find out more on Elite - Chronicles

Elite Encounters - An Elite Dangerous - Role Playing Game

Originally, I wasn't sure about the feasibility of a Elite Role Playing Game at first, but I guess if it's been done for Star Wars and then there the Travellar game. I guess it may work for Elite despite it being primarily a spaceflight, trading, combat sim.

Elite - Encounters - Role Playing Game on Kick-Starter

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project, but you can still fund it until some unspecified time either later this year or early next year on it's own official site.

Elite - Encounters - Role Playing Game - Official Site

The Cost of Exploration - An Elite Dangerous - World Book
QuoteAfter chancing across a missing persons notice for his former lover, playboy Chad Baxter sells up all he owns to head off in search.
Moving through life, we all take decisions that lead us along paths that take us to new opportunities, new people. But the other side to this is that we move away from others. In hindsight, we sometimes wonder if we did the right thing, and how things may have worked out if we had made a different choice to the one we did. This story follows an individual who chooses to go back, to search out someone missing.
The story is set in the future, some time after 3200 CE, in the world of the computer game Elite. However, it won't require an understanding of that game in order to be enjoyed. I have put up this project in order now to take advantage of an offer made by the game developers on their own Kickstarter project, but I intend to meet a proportion of the cost myself.

QuoteThe Plot...
Commander Chad Baxter is a man at ease. Having spent his life on the border between the Empire and the Federation, he has had to be able to look after himself to survive. Born the son of a fisherman on the ice moon of New Peckham, he has pulled himself up by the bootstraps via trade in his early life, and then as a famous ice yacht racer (on a moon with fierce winds, this is not quite as sedate as it sounds!)
Through such adventures, Baxter has accumulated wealth that has allowed him to establish his own space station orbiting his home, a world of both tremendous scientific interest as well as a healthy trade in aquatic pets and exotic sea food. The taxes levied on the tourists and the traders that flock to New Peckham are sufficient to provide Baxter with a life in which his main challenge is to keep himself amused. However, all this changes when news reaches Baxter regarding an old flame, the explorer Xania Singh, who is reported missing, presumed dead.
Baxter is unable to get this piece of news out of his mind. He sells his freighters and his moon-yachts, pulls strings with a contact in the Imperial Military, and obtains a state of the art stealth ship capable of taking him into the deep unknown, to grapple with whatever adventure awaits. Baxter makes first contact with a new civilisation who give him a lead to find Singh, which takes him to the heart of another titanic struggle where he must win the trust of both sides in order to get closer to Singh.

The Cost of Exploration - An Elite Dangerous - World Book on Kick-Starter

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project and I haven't really found out a lot about this one. I will be asking the founder of this project very soon.

Out of the Darkness - An Elite Dangerous Book

QuoteA gripping, gritty and authentic science fiction book set in the "Elite" game universe. Not tacky, schlok SF, but a d*mn good story.

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project and I haven't really found out a lot about this one. I'ved just sent a message to the founder of this Kick-Starter about my own experiences with the orignal classic, docking with those trecherous rotating orbital space stations and his book. If  I can still obtain a copy outside of his Kick-Starter.

Mostly Harmless   -  An Elite Dangerous Novel

QuoteSet in the worlds of Elite, inspired by the wit of Douglas Adams; the tale of the least deadly assassin the galaxy has ever known.

Mostly Harmless   -  An Elite Dangerous Novel

As you can see... funding has ended for this Kick-Starter project and I haven't really found out a lot about this one. Now I just finished that particular Douglas Adams novel of the same name earlier this year and despite it's wit. It was a sad ending.

Now there's another one?

I asked the founder of this Kick-Starter about her choice for name to her novel when it had already been used and then realised it's also used in the Elite game. Being one up from Harmless and one down from Competant! Anyway, It does say that this is only a working title. I also asked about the possibility of obtaining her work when she's finished. Out-side of her Kick-Starter!

Well, that's seven Kick-Starters I missed and they were all about Elite! Though, atleast tow of the most interesting ones are still funding beyond Kick-Starter!

More Classic Elite

ThryllSeekyr

ThryllSeekyr

I found this interview with both David Braben (Elite - Dangerous and Chris Roberts (Star-Citizen) and some other guy asking them question, but where is Ian Bell? (Classic Elite.) This one is part four, I 'm still looking for the first three parts.

Here is another video displaying a beautiful asteroid field in all it's detail and with some impressive laser fire. It's laser bolts instead of lazer beams. Which is a huge improvement over what's featured both in the Classic Elite and Oolite.  This is footage from the unfinished product and I hope they stick with it or improve it better still.

BTW, It's now exactly two weeks and two days until I can afford to back Elite - Dangerous at Commander Level. As I get payed next in two days. While I won't say how much exactly I'll be investing into this. I will back this one at this tier and get the add-ons later. After many weeks of saving.

Can't barely wait  :D :D :D :D :D

I, Cosh

We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr