Main Menu

Your Top 5 Iconic Moments

Started by Mangamax, 09 March, 2010, 09:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Over on my comic Blog:

http://mangamax-aieeee.blogspot.com/

I've been umming and ahhing over the top five images from comics that have stayed with me over the years - images that have burned themselves into your brain to the extent that they represent everything about that strip to you or made such an impression that they've stayed with you ever since.
Just finished mine, but thought it'd be nice if folk here might like to share theirs?
Here's mine:

Number 5:

Number 4:

Number 3:

Number 2:

Number 1:

Anyone up for it?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Tiplodocus

I don't think I can manage scans but I really like:

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
The bit where Bruce is talking to Superman/Clark Kent, I think they've just been horse riding, and the dialogue is along the lines of "There's just the sun and the sky and him.  And then he ruins it all by talking".

HOOKJAW
That bit where the bloke is inside Hookjaws mouth with a fireaxe wedged and holding the jaws open.  Or the bit with the baby great whites swimming through the bars of the cage and eating the guy (almost certainly bollocks but scary).

FLESH
The Ranger that gets eaten by the giant crocodile.

DREDD: AMERICA
As he glowers at the little kid that's dropped the ice cream.

MARVELMAN from WARRIOR
Liz walking naked through the apartment after having spent the night with Marvelman.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Colin YNWA

Jim_Campbell

Hard to overstate the effect that final page of Letter from a Democrat had on me ... thanks for posting that, Garageman!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 March, 2010, 08:15:32 AM
Hard to overstate the effect that final page of Letter from a Democrat had on me ... thanks for posting that, Garageman!

Cheers

Jim

Agreed. Gives me a shiver every time.

mygrimmbrother

Wonderful idea for a thread. I'll get back to you some time in June probably.

Goatilocks

Immediately this springs to mind; the Meg story where Dredd takes pity on an eldery citizen, allowing him to bury his wife instead of recycling her.

Beautiful.   

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goatilocks on 13 March, 2010, 09:12:05 PM
Immediately this springs to mind; the Meg story where Dredd takes pity on an eldery citizen, allowing him to bury his wife instead of recycling her.

Beautiful.   

"Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart" by John Wagner and Peter Doherty. A brilliant little gem of a story and an object lesson to any other Dredd writer on how you expose those chinks in Dredd's emotional armour. You keep your weeping women and your crack babies: Dredd is
moved by devotion and duty and a desire for simple dignity.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

vzzbux

My top has to be the Kev O'neill Mek Quake v Torquemada robot.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 March, 2010, 11:34:55 PM
Quote from: Goatilocks on 13 March, 2010, 09:12:05 PM

Beautiful.   

"Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart" by John Wagner and Peter Doherty. A brilliant little gem of a story and an object lesson to any other Dredd writer on how you expose those chinks in Dredd's emotional armour. You keep your weeping women and your crack babies: Dredd is

Cheers!

Jim

'The city will pay.'
Jesus, now when I think of it- how bloody loaded was that line?

Another from the same team was Death of a Legend.
'You deserved better.'

locustsofdeath!

What, no 'And he did not think it too many?'

That final panel is in my top five for sure - the entire strip is in my top five strips of all time. Brilliant.

Goatilocks

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 March, 2010, 11:34:55 PM
A brilliant little gem of a story and an object lesson to any other Dredd writer on how you expose those chinks in Dredd's emotional armour. You keep your weeping women and your crack babies: Dredd is

Cheers!

Jim

Agreed.

Eric Plumrose

Well, seeing as no one else yet has mentioned it:

'Because I hate you.'

No bullshit justification and all the more powerful because it's Johnny bloody Alpha saying it. Chilling.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.