Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Anonymously dob yourself in as a paedo (letter to the Mail ought to do it), the police tekkies will have all your files back in a jiffy.   Seriously though, that is a colossal pain - I have a knackered HD from an old unbacked-up PC that I still hold on to in the Vault-like hope that one day technology will permit its resurrection.

Mike Gloady

I have to sell my main guitar.  On account of having literally NO money and the possibility of £300 odd quid on second hand market is way too tempting for someone struggling to make bills and feed himself. 

Probate on my mum's will is now complicated by the fact that they have to do it on my DAD'S too, despite him dying over a decade ago.  House sale is also delayed and I've been feeling 1. physically shite and 2. mentally shite too.  All reasons why life is shite, but also reasons why I have no money. 

Yawn.  Life sucks balls.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

Very sad to hear how things have been lately, Worldshown. I went through something very similar four years ago when my father died. It was a never ending cycle of going to the hospital every morning and coming back home very late, having a few hours sleep and then dashing back. As others have mentioned, please make sure you look after yourself. I only realised later how the lack of rest and food had affected me throughout.

TordelBack

Aw Mike, that's a pain.  God I HATE probate.   If there's a system more designed to kick people when they're down...

A minor anecdote of inconvenience follows, not worthy of this thread:  My missus lost a friend of hers to cancer the the year before last, and she and another friend were named as executors (no family in the country).  The two of them spent literally months sorting out what should have been a very simple estate, bar arranging the house clean-out and sale, except there was a brother in South Africa that kept interfering (wanted to know how much extra he'd get if  they sold the fridge separate to the house etc.).  Eventually the probate was through, the transcontinental relatives paid off and shut-up etc. and the two executors were paid for the expenses they incurred sorting it all out (which were not inconsiderable), as per the Will.  Then this Christmas we got a nice card demand from the Revenue for 'tax due on earnings from the sale of a property' - and it started all over again.   What, I ask you, was the probate paperwork for if not to determine the costs, value and disposition of the estate?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: strontium71 on 15 February, 2010, 02:28:33 PM
... i dropped the hard drive and now nothing won't load from it at all , i can't even access it via my home or work computer. even our tech lad says its internally fucked . so all 3000+ photos that i had on there :'(
Might be worth taking your hard drive to a company to recover the files. Will cost a bit though. Apparently it's actually quite hard to permanently delete files off hard drives. 

COMMANDO FORCES

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 15 February, 2010, 04:08:42 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 15 February, 2010, 02:28:33 PM
... i dropped the hard drive and now nothing won't load from it at all , i can't even access it via my home or work computer. even our tech lad says its internally fucked . so all 3000+ photos that i had on there :'(
Might be worth taking your hard drive to a company to recover the files. Will cost a bit though. Apparently it's actually quite hard to permanently delete files off hard drives. 

From what i understand you have to repeat the delete file feature 30 times to actually wipe it clean with no trace if you are using a PC.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 February, 2010, 05:35:40 PM
From what i understand you have to repeat the delete file feature 30 times to actually wipe it clean with no trace if you are using a PC.

...unless you're working towards a critical deadline, in which case a single mouse click can somehow irrevocably corrupt every significant file.

Peter Wolf

The UK Govts CSCS card scheme sucks because it doesnt seem to recognise and make any allowances for someone like myself who is multiskilled and the rest that is way beyond that which i wont even go into here because i never went to college to get NVQs and City and Guilds and all that crap.I just left school at 16 and worked for my dad and then got jobs on building sites and learnt that way and worked upwards from there......

As its a Govt scheme then its typical that its ill conceived and inflexible but i admit that i havent pressed them further about this yet but i will  >:( if they dont comply with my requests.I am doing a CSCS health and safety course right now but i am wondering why i am bothering if am going to be excluded or disqualified from working as a sub contractor and having a CSCS card.I dont normally work for employers anyway and its mostly large commercial contractors and housebuilders that insist on having the card and i dont do that kind of work anyway so it might not be a hindrance in the long term.

I just get sick and tired of how qualifications should rule an industry that is based on vocational skills which is why i chose to go into the industry to start with because i am good with my hands and already had insight into construction from a young age to get away from the need to have qualifications and study because i left school after failing all my exams.

Fucking government.

strontium71

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 February, 2010, 04:14:47 PM
Just take more photo's ;)

if you can see my eye twitching right now...

although that's exactly what i'm going to have to do.

...because I hate you.

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 February, 2010, 06:03:21 PM
I am doing a CSCS health and safety course right now but i am wondering why i am bothering if am going to be excluded or disqualified from working as a sub contractor and having a CSCS card.

Having worked as a temp in the testing centre, my advice would be get a copy of the handbook, read it, and book yourself a test. It's touch-screen and multiple choice. With your brains you should ace it. The trouble is, fairly typical of this government, they'll want money off you, almost as if it were designed to create lucrative opportunities for private sector training and examination bodies rather than improve safety standards on building sites.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 15 February, 2010, 08:12:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 February, 2010, 06:03:21 PM
I am doing a CSCS health and safety course right now but i am wondering why i am bothering if am going to be excluded or disqualified from working as a sub contractor and having a CSCS card.

Having worked as a temp in the testing centre, my advice would be get a copy of the handbook, read it, and book yourself a test. It's touch-screen and multiple choice. With your brains you should ace it. The trouble is, fairly typical of this government, they'll want money off you, almost as if it were designed to create lucrative opportunities for private sector training and examination bodies rather than improve safety standards on building sites.

You have got to keep those Third Sector workers employed and subsidised by the taxpayer no matter what.The course itself is actually quite good and its free as its govt/taxpayer funded and it probably does inprove safe working practices and awareness but you have to marvel at the stupidity of a govt that promotes a scheme that actively alienates a percentage of the indiginous workforce.The scheme itself was probably concieved in the Third Sector by the kind of people that dont have a fucking clue.

Everything nice and simple and black and white and streamlined with no grey areas to accomodate those who dont fit into convenient little boxes or categories.

You cant even go to college in Brighton and learn plastering so if the cousres are not available then where are the NVQ qualified plasterers going to come from for example ?  :-* ::)

Its alright if certain sectors of the industry want to adopt this scheme but its becoming unilateral and there simply will not be enough NVQ qualified trades around but its alright for now as there is high unemployment within the construction sector but in the long the industry is being very shortsighted.

Stupid government.

House of Usher

Did you know that the government is predicting that by 2020 there will only be 600,000 jobs for people who don't have level 1 qualifications? (GCSE is level 2) - where did it get this figure from? Lord Leitch published a report in which it was predicted that by 2020 only 600,000 adults in Britain would not have level 1 qualifications. The government has misrepresented this figure as a count of jobs, rather than people lacking qualifications, to back up its 'skills agenda' and panic people about their employment prospects to try and make them train for jobs that don't exist, so that Britain won't look so bad in international league tables for educational attainment.

The actual projections for jobs you won't need qualifications for in 2020 is 7.4 million, but 6.8 million of the people doing those jobs will have qualifications.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 15 February, 2010, 11:01:28 PM
Did you know that the government is predicting that by 2020 there will only be 600,000 jobs for people who don't have level 1 qualifications? (GCSE is level 2) - where did it get this figure from? Lord Leitch published a report in which it was predicted that by 2020 only 600,000 adults in Britain would not have level 1 qualifications. The government has misrepresented this figure as a count of jobs, rather than people lacking qualifications, to back up its 'skills agenda' and panic people about their employment prospects to try and make them train for jobs that don't exist, so that Britain won't look so bad in international league tables for educational attainment.

The actual projections for jobs you won't need qualifications for in 2020 is 7.4 million, but 6.8 million of the people doing those jobs will have qualifications.

:lol:

The UK govt would lie and obfuscate and misrepresent a cup of coffee if they needed to .

House of Usher

What coffee? That's tea, that is.  ;)
STRIKE !!!