Main Menu

Meg 381 - Scales of Justice!

Started by Richard, 11 February, 2017, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Logically you're right, but the way time travel has worked in Strontim Dog stories before has never been logical.

In fact, according to your logic, it shouldn't even have been possible for Alpha to return to his own time after Judgement Day and find himself in the same timeline he left, one in which Judgement Day didn't happen. He should have found himself in a new future in which Judgement Day did happen, and nobody remembers sending him back to 2114 to prevent it.

Colin YNWA

Fuckity fuckity fuck how the hell does Lawless keep getting better. I mean its always been good, no belting, no mind melting superb BUT still this episode gets to be the best yet. How the chuff do Abnett and Winslade manage that... huh HOW I asks ya. What demon now has their very souls, sold so they could produce the best comic strip this side of... well this side if NAFF ALLcos its just THE BEST COMIC STRIP...

... I'm getting over excited aren't I...

... but it bloody well deserves it!

Elsewhere everything is fine. I defo take Cosh's point about the end of Dredd, but I just took it as a cute nod to the fans and nowt more. A fun story with a nice little bite at the end... I'd prefer if it went nowhere.

Black Museum was kinda fun and looked great, as was Anderson... well actually I really enjoyed Anderson but nothing, NOTHING will survive the white heat of glory that is Lawless. Its blown my tiny comic mind.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 08:14:12 PM
it shouldn't even have been possible for Alpha to return to his own time after Judgement Day and find himself in the same timeline he left

Interesting. Maybe he didn't.

Leigh S

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 February, 2017, 06:19:24 PMIn fact, Dredd could visit Alpha's future, but assuming a divergent timeline, he would need both time travel and a D-Jump to do it.

Yep, time travel and dimensional travel are inextricably linked in Dredd world stories - look at the Greg staples Death story, ot the Batman crossovers as prim examples = a d-Jump will almost as likely take you through time as well as dimensions. Heck - if we view City of the Damned as a primer, Dredd muct have visited an aternate MC1, though it was only alternate after tehy returned and made it so by killing Krysler again.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 February, 2017, 06:19:24 PM
Al Ewing has already introduced the idea that Justice Dept has a dossier on what little they know about Alpha's future. It's possible that there is a plan being hatched (in-fictional-universe) somewhere to ensure that the timelines diverge, since ending up in Alpha's future requires the complete end of the Judges and, by implication, the Mega-Cities.

Yeah - theres some meat in exploring this if done well, with Dredd having to divorce the time lines in some epic of the future.  I'm not fussed about it either way - if they do do it, I just hope it is done classy like!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 08:14:12 PM
In fact, according to your logic, it shouldn't even have been possible for Alpha to return to his own time after Judgement Day and find himself in the same timeline he left, one in which Judgement Day didn't happen. He should have found himself in a new future in which Judgement Day did happen, and nobody remembers sending him back to 2114 to prevent it.

He'd need to do a dimension jump as well as. Time jump to get him back to 2160 (or whatever it was) which, as you note, would now be the 2160 of Dredd's future, then a d-jump to get him to his version of 2160. Dimension-hopping and time travel are both far more common in the SD universe, so I don't have any trouble imagining a two-stage journey of this kind...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

James Stacey

Richard

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 February, 2017, 10:48:41 PM
A space wizard did it.

:lol:

Also, the SD universe is full of space wizards.  (And the Gronk and Feral didn't kill an entire race of them either; that was all in a young Garth Ennis's fevered imagination.)

I liked that Dredd reveal, me.  Just when you thought Al Ewing did an outstanding job of tying things up with The Americans, Mike Carroll throws another spanner in the works.  But greater minds than mine on the board have already discussed the workings of the timeline in far greater detail than I have.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Have we ever visited North America in Strontium Dog?  In fact, Earth was pretty much off-limits - there was a visit to Antartic City, but the only other visits I can recall involved Stonehenge, Milton Keynes and not much else - which only suggests that Brit-Cit won't survive in its current (largely unexplored) state.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 February, 2017, 11:07:21 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 16 February, 2017, 10:48:41 PM
A space wizard did it.

:lol:

Also, the SD universe is full of space wizards.  (And the Gronk and Feral didn't kill an entire race of them either; that was all in a young Garth Ennis's fevered imagination.)

I liked that Dredd reveal, me.  Just when you thought Al Ewing did an outstanding job of tying things up with The Americans, Mike Carroll throws another spanner in the works.  But greater minds than mine on the board have already discussed the workings of the timeline in far greater detail than I have.

And Durham Red will go in to suspended animation and wake up in the far future, either before or after, or in another region of space to where Nemesis is fighting the Terminators.  And the ABC Warriors will be flying around in there somewhere as well, but possibly in the past also.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
A new reader who doesn't know who [spoiler]Kreelman[/spoiler] is wouldn't even know that this was a nod to another story, so they wouldn't be put off by it.
Maybe not "put off" but the last panel of the story is the reveal of a hitherto anonymous character's identity. As a new reader, you don't have to know who he is, but you have to assume that this is significant, otherwise the whole story is a waste of time.

As an old reader, I have no time for the existing crossovers. They happened. They were shit. Please don't expend any mental energy trying to go beyond everybody thought it would be cool if Johnny and Joe could go toe to toe. The dimension jump explanation was always good enough for me

Aargh. I can't believe I'm making myself angry by thinking too much about what what other people think too much about the minutiae of comics. Time to turn off the iPad.
We never really die.

Magnetica

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 February, 2017, 02:47:58 PM

I'm more bothered that we've got two (presumably separate) secret factions by different writers on the go at the same time.

Might be an idea to put at least one of them to rest soonish.

Sorry for being thick - so we have Sector Zero in the Michael Carroll stories, but what is the other secret faction you are referring to? (And which writer?)

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 February, 2017, 06:33:14 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 16 February, 2017, 02:47:58 PM
I'm more bothered that we've got two (presumably separate) secret factions by different writers on the go at the same time. Might be an idea to put at least one of them to rest soonish.

Sorry for being thick - so we have Sector Zero in the Michael Carroll stories, but what is the other secret faction you are referring to? (And which writer?)

Smiley's been running his own invisible ninja academy (Act Of Grud, Williams & Flint, 2004-2006). We still don't know if Smiley was always in on Trifecta or if he's just decided to make an opportunistic power grab as a response to MC1's weakened state.

I remember Williams and Carroll agreeing they should coordinate their storylines more, now they're the only two writers on the Dredd strip with big, continuing storylines. Maybe Sector Zero and whatever Smiley's up to will turn out to be two facets of the same organisation.

Tjm86

Quote from: Leigh S on 16 February, 2017, 09:18:43 PM

Yep, time travel and dimensional travel are inextricably linked in Dredd world stories -

I guess the question is are they the same time lines or parallel time lines in parallel dimensions.  By that I mean are we dealing with the same individual or a dimensional alternate.  Although going down this line of thinking is potentially head ache inducing it does open up a wonderful realm of possibilities for story telling.  I'd like to think that with the calibre of writers we have (even with some of the weaknesses they sometimes have) that there is going to be a bit more to this than the standard fan boy wet dream of predictable story telling.

That said, I may possibly be influenced in my thinking here by a recent read of Baxter's Proxima and Ultima that play with these ideas.

JayzusB.Christ

I've just got to thinking - isn't [spoiler]Nelson Bunker Kreelman[/spoiler] the absolute perfect name for a despotic dictator?  Hats off to Wagner and Grant; naming characters has always been a strong suit.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"