Main Menu

New Simon Spurrier Interview at 2000AD Review

Started by gavinhanly, 17 June, 2003, 05:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Spurioso

Sorry....  I know I said I wasn't going to reply but it just seems like we're arguing over absolutely nothing, here.  Perhaps I really am missing some fundamental point here, but:

"Basically if all opinions are valid, stop taking issue with the people who dislike your story and accept they don't like it, are perfectly justified in saying they didn't like it and just get on with it. "

....which is exactly what I said in the interview, isn't it?

"I don't feel it's a direct dig at me or anyone else. I do feel as though I'm part of the group that are the crazy people."

....I'm sorry that you feel like that, but I'm not sure I can help it, given that I've never accused you of being crazy, implied that you were crazy, or even mentioned your name.

"Of course I don't think that you did this interview just to start it off again. That's mad talk."

...I'm very glad that you don't think that.  So why are you reacting like this, then?  I just don't understand.  [shrug]

"Basically, we agree on everything but this, Si doesn't understand why this argument bothers me and thinks it personal, it's not."

...Paul, we sorted this all out before.  In the past it's appeared as though you had some sort of vendetta against me.  We discussed it via emails and you convinced me that you don't.  Why should I suddenly have changed my mind?  More importantly - why should you be able to tell everyone else what I think, particularly when it's wrong?

I'm just utterly at a loss as to what you're taking issue with, here.  Sorry if I'm being thick or missing something or whatever but...   I'm being as perfectly reasonable as I can.  If anyone can enlighten me I'd be really grateful, because I'm really bored of all the bad blood that's been in this place recently, and figure this is worth sorting out ASAP.

[shrug]

paulvonscott

Calm, logical, etc.

Well, I have tried to explain it, endlessly Si and this is the argument I've argued for a long time.  I admit it was a mistake to rise to the bait again.  But it was the same damn argument.  

Basically you say all opinions are valid and then make a point of singling out a group whose views you don't think were valid.

Look, why not just say you weren't happy with the reaction to bek and kawl and you thought it was over the top and you weren't happy with it, it wasn't useful and not bring in an argument about how all views are equally valid, when you'll then go and say that some views are less valid than others.

That's my logical argument.  I've said I don't seem to be able to get it to make sense for you and possibly others.  fair enough.  I can live with that.  I did not say it with any bitterness or emnity however.

Now to the personal stuff, all of the above I don't understand why we can't have a reasonable converstation about.  The stuff below is grief making, this is the stuff that gets me pissed off.

It's hard not to get angry about being accused of making my sneery little points to score some points off you, in private or in public.  That's what all the previous fuss was about and that's what this is about too.  From what you've said that you've thought the reason I've disliked Bek and Kawl is because I hate you.  

Well tough, I think it's a poor strip, you've had a go at me when I've casually slagged it off, you've had a go at me when I've given explanations why (and I only gave detailed reasons because you'd had a go at me for not doing precisily that).  

I don't think you are attacking me becuase of this (I'm not accusing YOU of having dubious motives), but, bcause I seriosuly think that you believe my views on Bek and Kawl are all part of some dubious motive I have for disliking you.  tell me Si, WHY do I dislke you, what have you done to me.  This, is mandess.

If you can dig up any comments on the scrap OR Lobster Random that support this bonkers theory, wheel em out, they are both okay strips and apart from your theories on 2000AD readers and your weird views about me I have no problem with you.  Mind you this has become a pretty serious problem.

Just DO NOT start coming out with UNBELIEVABLE comments like you have today that I thought you'd done that interview just to start an age old argument.  I can't believe you said that.  I can't believe any of the other theories you've made up.  I have to point out, openly, that you think I have a vendetta against you, because from your first post today it looks like that belief still exists.

Yes, I've said as much today that I regret getting involved in posts with bitterness, I'm pretty easy to rile, just acuse me of motives I don't posess and that will do it.  Say you don't agree with me, I'm a wee daftee or I've got poor taste and I'll happily play along.

Don't just hint that it's always me, the recent Sin Dex arguement was caused by the same bitterness, people accusing people of having dubious motives for disliking stuff.  And I wasn't involved.  

I know a point of conduct was mentioned and dismissed for the board but the only other option is for me to just to lose my temper and say lots of things about you I'll regret.

El Spurioso

Okay.  This is a cliche, but I 've just been sitting here patiently writing out a deeply dull response to this stuff with point-by-point indicators and rapier-sharp incisive comments and blah de blah de blah.

Then I got to the bottom and thought: what's the fucking point?  It's not going to achieve anything, it'll just drag this out, etc etc.  I'm sure everyone else is bored of this - I certainly am - and life is far too short for this sort of unimportant dross to have excesses of time and energy devoted to it.

Paul: I don't believe you have a vendetta against me.  As far as I'm concerned we sorted all of that shit out months ago, in private, in emails that I've just re-read to check that I didn't imagine it.  In this most recent episode I've never intentionally sought to resurrect that particular argument, or to give you the impression that I've decided you secretly hate me.

Believe me or don't believe me; I won't lose any sleep over it.

Enough.

Matt Timson

What's this?  What's this?!?

A fight that I didn't start or wasn't a part of?

That can't be right...
Pffft...

paulvonscott

Well, that's fine, great, groovy.  As long as it's not all going to start again, as I thought it was with the cowboy post, that's fine.

As I said in the chat room a few hours ago, the only other option left was to tell each other to fuck off and leave it at that.

frazer

Or u could have wet sticky sex with each other:P

F (trying real hard not to visualise that awful scene...)

paulvonscott

That's quite a pervy brain you have there Frazer, I do not envy you ;)

gavinhanly

Bloody hell.  Can open - worms everywhere...

But (selfishly) lots of hits on my site, so hoorah!

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/" target="_blank">2000ad review

DavidXBrunt

I can't stop thinking of that image!!! I need to scour my brain with caustic soda....

Quirkafleeg

frazer

Proudhuff

I feel vaguely responsible for this, an announcement that the war is over always seems to starts one off, its okay you can thank me later...

Hufsta  
DDT did a job on me