Main Menu

2018: forthcoming thrills..

Started by janus stark, 05 January, 2018, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Leigh S

I understand Pat's general complaint, but you are getting into very sticky territory regarding a character like Rico, who has appeared in as many flashback and hallucinatory moments as possible, from "Behold, the Beast!" to "Helter SKelter"  - unlike Satanus, who you can argue has a life outside of the Dredd continuity, Rico is like saying whoever came up with the phrase Lawmaster should get asked permisssion before they use one in the strip.

I can see it might have been politic to ask Pat if he fancied writing it given the Satanus thing, or even to have asked Pat for a list of characters he wanted to be considered for before farming out when he first started to make an issue of this (to fair, often times with more reason than here).

It'd also have a bit more weight if he had given Martin Edmond his due credit on the Accident Man film, beacuse if the "freelancers dont speak out".... Reading PAt's 2000AD history he does seem to have a fairly complex xystem of what and who counts and who and what doesnt, so you can't blame Tharg for instigating his own equally esoteric version....

Oh, and take your beef to Tharg, not Michael, I would suggest as a first step

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moly

Pat mills is starting to sound like a bitter old man and should just give it a rest

Apestrife

Quote from: Dash Decent on 03 July, 2018, 01:46:45 PM
Judge Dredd: Cold Wars Paperback  – 7 Mar 2019

The timely and critically acclaimed brand-new collection featuring Judge Dredd's latest thrilling adventures

BEASTS IN THE EAST!

After returning from a mission into Sov territory, Judge Dredd finds himself at odds with fellow veterans of another past conflict – The Apocalypse War.

Under orders from the Justice Department, Dredd returns to the depths of Siberia where things start to go wrong... even his training and iron will might not be enough against the bitter cold, angry mutants and the echoes of past conflicts!

Featuring stories from Michael Carroll, Rob Williams and John Wagner with stunning art from Trevor Hairsine, Dan Cornwell, Paul Davidson and Colin MacNeil.

I'm guessing William's story is the one were they rescue [spoiler]Sinfield[/spoiler] and Wagner's the one were they try to rescue a former [spoiler]apocalypse squad member from euthanasia[/spoiler]. But what about Carrol's? Any ideas which story or stories of his the book will collect?

Frank

Quote from: Apestrife on 08 July, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 July, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
Under orders from the Justice Department, Dredd returns to the depths of Siberia where things start to go wrong... even his training and iron will might not be enough against the bitter cold, angry mutants and the echoes of past conflicts!

Featuring stories from Michael Carroll, Rob Williams and John Wagner with stunning art from Trevor Hairsine, Dan Cornwell, Paul Davidson and Colin MacNeil.

(W)hat about Carrol? Any ideas which story or stories of his the book will collect?

Black Snow (Holden), Echoes (MacNeil) and The Shroud (Davidson), which ran consecutively from 2055-2068.

Apestrife

Quote from: Frank on 08 July, 2018, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 08 July, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 July, 2018, 08:19:47 PM

(W)hat about Carrol? Any ideas which story or stories of his the book will collect?

Black Snow (Holden), Echoes (MacNeil) and The Shroud (Davidson), which ran consecutively from 2055-2068.

Thank you. Did you like them? Did Dredd [spoiler]surf of on a dead dog[/spoiler] in one of those stories?

IndigoPrime

QuoteThe author and Rebellion endlessly say 'we really respect you and your work.'
If that were true, they would either leave my characters alone or pay me a creator's fee.
Otherwise it's pure humbug!
They give him regular work, a significant portion of which is basically recycling. This despite his ongoing and very public criticism of the company. Then there was that colouring book thing (IP issues a go go), which continues to exist. Also, I'm not sure anyone needs to read a Rico book that'd probably end up being another wafer-thin rant about the establishment, peppered with conspiracy theory.

Pat should think himself lucky. Almost any other writer would be kicked to the kerb by a publisher for this sort of thing.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 July, 2018, 09:45:04 PM
Pat should think himself lucky. Almost any other writer would be kicked to the kerb by a publisher for this sort of thing.

I'll confess the same thought has occurred to me. In a less benign corporate environment, a freelancer asserting 'moral' rights to IP they've already sold under work-for-hire terms that mean they have not one single leg to stand on legally would have been reminded quite forcefully long before now of the reality of their situation.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Monarch

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 July, 2018, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 July, 2018, 09:45:04 PM

I'll confess the same thought has occurred to me. In a less benign corporate environment, a freelancer asserting 'moral' rights to IP they've already sold under work-for-hire terms that mean they have not one single leg to stand on legally would have been reminded quite forcefully long before now of the reality of their situation.

I am in total agreement. I do understand that Pat has history behind him but that does not mean that you are indispensable. Just imagine Rebellion gets tired of this and all his current series gets reassigned to other creators.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Next prog:

Judge Dredd by Rory McConville and Chris Weston
Sláine by Rory McConville and Simon Davis
Flesh by Rory McConville and Mick McMahon

Etc.

IndigoPrime

(I do joke about Rory McConville, but hats off to the guy. As a freelancer writer myself, I'm in awe of his productivity, and the way in which he's gone from not being in 2000 AD comics to writing large chunks of them. Plus do I actually like a lot of what he does.)

James Stacey

y know what. The thought of other writers having a bash at Slaine or ABC Warriors genuinely thrills me. It's bound to be better than the endless recycling of plot punctuated with ranting.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 July, 2018, 09:53:20 AM

Flesh by Rory McConville and Mick McMahon

You don't know how much I want this to happen!