Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 13/05/06, 7pm, RISE OF THE CYBERMEN...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 14 May, 2006, 12:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

The Amstor Computer

++PREPARE FOR MAXIMUM DELETION++

Not bad episode, and the Cybermen looked far better on screen than they have in some of the publicity shots (even with the flares) - threatening silver giants, as they should be. Not entirely sure about them having the transformation forced upon them - it takes away some of the horror of the old Cybermen who had done it to themselves willingly - but I'm happy to follow where the writer's going at the moment.

I'm getting a little weary of Rose, though, which is something I hadn't expected. She keeps on fucking off and getting into trouble, no matter how often she's told not to - and given that she's been through the "I just want to see my Dad" bit in series 1, I'm not really convinced by a repeat performance, albeit on an alternate Earth.

Mickey's shaping up pretty nicely, even if his back story seemed a little off. The rest of the cast were interesting - Lumic and his henchman were great hammy villains.

Looking forward to next week...

The Amstor Computer

Oh, and the new tie-in site is up - and Who Is Doctor Who has had an alternate Earth makeover...

Link: http://www.internationalelectromatics.co.uk/" target="_blank">International Electromatics

Buddy

Worst episode of new who by far.

Having Trigger as a baddie was a big mistake, I just see trigger.

Now, I didn't hang around to see the las ten/fifteen minuites of the programme but it seemed to me that these creatures were not cybermen. Aren't cybermen and indipendent life form in their own right. These things were manufactured.

I understand it is an 'alternative reality' timeline and as such the usual rules don't apply, but everyone knowes the cybermen.

Rose is a pain in the hole and the sooner she is rid of the better, really like Mickey, a real fish out of water. And yes, that whole father thing was delt with in Fathers Day, why retread that storyline.

Mickeys line 'everything exactly the same but a bit different' was classic and so Mickey.

Effects were the usual high standard, nice looking airships.

As I didn't see the last ten mins I assume this is a two parter as I didn't see a cyberman in the entire episode (not counting the shadow figure at the start).

Overall, crap 3/10, if it wasn't a two parter then 1/10.

SamuelAWilkinson

That was one thing I forgot to mention. I'm hoping like hell that Trigger found bits of real Cyberman or something, and decided to make his own army based off'f that. Otherwise it'd be crap, and it also means that the old Cybermen can't ever come back in new Who, because of the headachy continuity that'd cause.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Quirkafleeg

>As I didn't see the last ten mins

Well then you missed, nearly a quarter of the episode...

Buddy

As I didn't see the last ten mins

Well then you missed, nearly a quarter of the episode...

Yeah, but the first 3/4 were just so boring!!

Is it a two parter?

scutfink

my thoughts, loosely gatered together...

The Good:

I liked the Hamminess of Lumic/Trigger and his henchmen, although they could've gone for a bit more Colin Clive on the 'It's Alive!!' line.

I also liked the joke about the alternate R/Mickey:

'Maybe he's a clone?'
'Or your dad owned a Bike.'

The bit with the oxygen masks falling from the ceiling of the crashed Tardis was a surprisingly subtle touch...

And I quite like the new Cybermen, although there was apparently no intentional reference (At least nothing was mentioned on Who Confidential), they look like the Bastard (Possibly incestuous) sons of Maria off of Metropolis and C-3P0.

The Bad:

Not terrible, in so far as it was an example of Cheesey dialog by Hammy Villains (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,Cheese and Ham!),
but

Trigger/Lumic: And how will you do that from beyond the grave?

henchscientist: I don't quite understand?

How can you not understand? You've just helped to invent cybermen, you can't be a complete moron...

While we're on the subject of Trigger/Lumic, I'm not sure I like the idea of the Cybermen being organic brains in a robot chassis, created by a wheelchair bound megalomaniac, it kind of draws attention to a lack of imagination in the early years of Villain creation...

So, are these Cybermen going to somehow cross back to our universe? Is this the definitive creation myth of Cybermen everywhere? Are they still vunerable to gold? (Were they ever or was that just me?)

Otherwise, we're in a parallel dimension, sealed off by the Timelords before they died out (I'm still having a little trouble with the temporal mechanics of extinct time travellers...) who's to say there are no Timelords in this dimension? Does it not even cross anyone's mind to look for some?      

The indifferent:

They're in an alternate London where everything's exactly the same, only set in Cardiff :)

...And I know this is just an alternate Mickey (Sorry, Ricky) not necessarily an evil one, but still, where's his Goatee? in fact shouldn't everyone have a goatee?

Richmond Clements

and given that she's been through the "I just want to see my Dad" bit in series 1, I'm not really convinced by a repeat performance

Yeah, you'd think she'd have gotten over watching her father die in her arms by now...

The Amstor Computer

Heh. Yeah, fair point. Having thought about it over the past few days, my problem with that part of the story was more that Rose & the Doctor have been through Rose wanting to meet her Dad, only to then mess about with history with terrible consequences, and it just feels wrong that she would be so quick to dash off and risk doing the same on this alternate world. Does that make sense?

Richmond Clements

For what it's worth- I enjoyed the episode as much as every other one in the series.
It was cracking fun.

Though it has to be said, I think I had a better time watching it than some other boarders.

Al_Ewing

Frankly, I thought that episode was ace. Much more like it.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Radbacker

just skimming these a bit(its not on over here yet), What about the head of the Cyberman in the first Dalek episode last season can anyone remember if thats a new design or old one?

Looking forward to the new season and trying not to spoiler too much for myself(I cant help it)

CY Radbacker

Floyd-the-k

Do these cybermen keel over if you so much as hum Neil Young's 'Heart of Gold'

DavidXBrunt

That was an 80's style Cyber head.