Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 05/05/07, 7pm, THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 05 May, 2007, 06:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

DavidXBrunt

An oddity of an episode. Lots to like and locating the climax in Southwark Cathedral meant it looked spectacular.

Gatis was on good form but I can't help but feel it wasn't the best part for him. He'll have liked the Quatermas parallels, mind. Shame Thelma Barlow had so little to do.

House of Usher

Well, I enjoyed it...

A fair amount of the usual shorthand in evidence. Lazarus? He'll come back from the dead. Dr Taurus? Almost certain to end up a minotaur. Professor Nero? Very likely to fiddle while Rome burns...

Anyway, good episode.

Location nerds who have just watched Dr Who Confidential will be interested to know that the Lazarus building wasn't all filmed in the Welsh Assembly Senedd. The exterior shots were mostly the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff, with a still of the University's new bioscience building superimposed behind the entrance colonnade, so the Musem's real roof was erased. The foyer the guests were fleeing from, with a staircase behind them to their right, was also most likely the Museum interior. The rest of the interior shots were most likely the Assembly building. We're undecided here as to whether the laboratory interiors were Cardiff University or a studio set.
STRIKE !!!

pauljholden

Never mind tonight's episode - look at the trailer!

- pj

Keef Monkey

It was good, I've been underwhelmed by this series so far , with the first episode being the only real cracker IMO, but this one was top quality again. I had the same gripe as usual(it's time the sonic screwdiver got turfed) but thought Gatis was surprisingly good, the effects were great and Martha  was as watchable as ever. The next episode does look like a doozy...

Mangamax

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

WoD

Buddy

Missed the last few episodes but found this very enjoyable with just a few gripes.

Sonic bloody screwdriver...

Monster of the week. Would have been better if what he became was slightly less 'big scorpion' and more evolved human.

Thought Gattis was great and reminded me a bit of Davidson Who, he'd make a good who himself.

I'd be happy with more of this.

Tex Hex

>>Its gonna be the Master innit?

I heard that it was John Symm playing the master...and Im pretty sure i caught a glimpse in the trailer....

-hex

Bolt-01

Top episode. My fave of the series so far and the trailer featured Simm for sure.

Bolt-01

Adrian Bamforth

Nothing terminally cringeful, mostly since there wasn't much character emotion stuff, I wouldn't mind if the new Doctor Who had been like this from the start and built upon it. That said, like Tooth & Claw it is was at best another retelling of a generic story without giving it a new angle, or even making up a more original name than Dr Lazarus (on reading about the story I wondered how long it would take before the words Lazarus Project/Lazarus Code/Lazarus Corp appeared - it didn't occur to me they would just call the character Dr Lazarus).

ARRISARRIS

...as theres a 2 week gap between this episode and the next, the next episode trailer was a little misleading as it contains clips more from the series finale and the up coming 2 parter with scarecrows as the monsters, the next real episode is 42, set in real time, maybe its hard to do a trailer for that...

Mangamax

Have been thinking that as soon as we get to see Martha's family, it'd go down the RTD soap opera route and we end up with another bloody Hollyoaks segment.
So, nicely suprised to see it didn't. But then, he didn't write it did he?
The monster - do you think the human face on it was deliberatly crap to stop it being too scary for the sprogs? Still freaked out my boy though, he spent most of the show behind a cushion (can't get behind the sofa)
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Bad Andy

Thought it was a standard by the numbers plot which worked okay. This series has been more consistent than the others (ignoring last week's excreble Dalek second parter).

I found Martha's mother's eyebrows more scary than Scorpo-Lazarus mind.

Banners

You're all being far too kind. The plot was terribly simplistic, the sonic screwdriver was used too much - even as a radar(!) - and the monster design was poor, especially as it was supposed to be rooted in human DNA. Meh.

M@