Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 10/05/08, 6.45pm, 'The Doctor's Daughter'...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 10 May, 2008, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin_Leahy_Block

i can't say i enjoyed that much. i did like the Hath though. there was way too many blatant plot holes many mentioned by worldshown above. Jenny was rather lovely but the character was very just unimaginative. not sure if I've started to like Donna maybe I've just gotten used to her or just not paying her any attention when Jenny and Martha are on screen.

Mardroid

My thoughts on it, obviously spoilers galore:

I thought that hand would be used, but it wasnâ??t. (A good thing actually as I like to be surprised.) Donâ??t really get why the hand would bubble so though. It wonâ??t bubble if the Doctor is across the room, so I donâ??t see why it would bubble if another member of the species is in a completely different part of time and spaceâ?¦

Or why the Tardis suddenly went there. I guess it must be set to automatically home in on other Time Lords?â?¦ except she didnâ??t exist until he got thereâ?¦ ok I guess that was the paradox thing the Doctor mentioned at the end.

Also the idea theyâ??ve only been there for a short period of time only works if all the original people who crashed were killed (which I donâ??t really buy) or are just keeping quiet, which is probably the case actually as the old guy leading the humes likely didnâ??t just come out of a tank recently. People born from the tanks would all be young surely. Actually that makes sense with all his warmongering. Also makes sense considering the fish were less bloodthirsty, considering how quick they accepted Martha. (Ok she helped one, but even so.) i.e. maybe theyâ??re aware itâ??s only been going on a short period, but they have to fight cos those pesky humes keep on trying to fry them.

I think the story would still have worked better if the war really had been going on for generations. However, as just a lot of background stuff for the main thing, essentially a character story, and a message on the downright silliness of war, it worked. Another terraforming device in two episodes!

Despite all my nitpicking above, it was very enjoyable I thought. Lovely new cheeky character, played by the daughter of an ex Doctor actor too. Not sure they satisfactorily explained why she didnâ??t regenerate when she died though, apart from the fact they want to stick with the same actressâ?¦ and rightly too.

â??Sheâ??s not enough like youâ?¦â? Why not? Is it a specific Time Lord thing as opposed to a run of the mill Galifreyan? I.e. one who hasnâ??t looked into the time vortex? Or is it something a timelord has to do intentionally rather than by reflex?
â??Sheâ??s too much like me.â? Iâ??m probably being thick, but I donâ??t get why that would prevent her regenerating.

The way they brought her back felt a bit like â??The Search for Spockâ?, (and youâ??d think the gas would be more likely to cause fungi to grow out of her than bring her back to life considering what it does to the planet.) but it was an interesting little twist just the same, and I got it. Gas brings life, she became alive, ok.

Iâ??m glad they found a way to bring her back (although I donâ??t buy the method.) Sheâ??s a great new character and I imagine sheâ??ll be back sometime.

Oh, and interesting new fish aliens.

Mardroid

By 'rightly too' above I meant, it's right they stuck with the same actress rather than regenrating into someone else, not that it was right they didn't explain properly why it didn't happen.

kraken

King Arthur "OooAaarrr Doctaar" was great as a sleepy Cobb

opaque

"They're clean, scan them". Clean of what? Never elaborated on.

They were clean, ie not dirty, sweaty etc. Not been in battle, not been living on the run, living in tunnels etc.

* Why does the 'cloning' produce an opposite gender?

Maybe the machine gives them a choice?

* Why were the Hath in a joint colonisation project with Humans? Incidentally, what's with that bottle of limeade in their mouths?

Why not have a joint colonisation? Shared resources, are they allies?
The limeade would surely be their way of existing as gill-breathing creatures in a non water environment? Otherwise their race would be stuck on their home planet or in a bowl like the Face of Boe.

* How is Martha suddenly an expert on regenerations? She's never seen one.

We don't know much of what she actually did with the Doctor. What we've seen of their travels is a fraction of what happened between them. He's bound to have talked about himself and regeneration. And not to mention she's got UNIT security access Level 1 and their records would include that information.

* Why did it require 'pixie dust' to bring Jenny back to life?

It didn't as far as I'm concerned. Given enough time she came back to life on her own. That puff of colour was more connected to the life force of timelords and the timevortex in my opinion.

Buddy

I missed a lot of this as i was making umpty jrs dinner.. but.... if she technically was a time lord wouldnt she have just regenerated if she died??

and those fish blokes... i take it that pisswater stuff stuck to their mouts was a sort of breathing apparatus... fish breath through gills, they had gills, shouldny the gills be covered in piss water too?

despite these shitty bits it wasnt a bad episode and, lothed as i am to say it.. tate is turning out to be possibly the best assistant yet in new who.

Dandontdare

maybe she'll regenerate into Baby Spice and then Rose's mum( I swear I thought it was a Bunton cameo at the end of last week!)

Eric Plumrose

>> tate is turning out to be possibly the best assistant yet in new who.

That's probably due to her being a far better actor than any of the others so far.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Lobo Baggins

Quite enjoyed that - even if the week-long war doesn't quite work.  If they have three generations a day, they must have either an extremely short life span or are really, really bad soldiers if they can only survive for eight hours...

* Why did it require 'pixie dust' to bring Jenny back to life? That first Christmas special showed that Timelords can regenerate missing limbs in the first however minutes of a regeneration. Something like that could have worked here as well.

â??Sheâ??s not enough like youâ?¦â? Why not? Is it a specific Time Lord thing as opposed to a run of the mill Galifreyan? I.e. one who hasnâ??t looked into the time vortex? Or is it something a timelord has to do intentionally rather than by reflex?

I think there must be more to being a Time Lord than physiognomy - they presumably require specific training to regenerate.  I suspect that Jenny had a very strong will to live (which admittedly sounds a very RTD thing), which allowed her to partially regenerate with the aid of the terraforming gas whatnot.

* Why does the 'cloning' produce an opposite gender?

So they can cast Peter Davison's daughter - it wouldn't have worked with David Troughton or Sean Pertwee.

Sam Troughton might have worked, though...

* How is Martha suddenly an expert on regenerations? She's never seen one.

She works for UNIT.  They have files!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Monarch

she'll be back for the finale mark my words....

The Adventurer

Ugg. Worst episode of the season (I'd say series, but Fear Her still exists). Not for the Daughter bit (which was handled okay. Thank god they didn't try to tie it into the Doctor's past and Susan or anything insipid like that. RTD and Co can't handle that kind of thing at all.) but for A)the lack of use of the Heesh, who were a pretty neat alien design with no personality at all, B)the dumb idea about "they've only been fighting for seven days!" which doesn't work because the human leader is OLD, C)The crappy flame spitting guns, D)the GOD AWFUL Terraforming science (yeah, just break that ball Doc, inside the ship, that'll make the planet 100% habitable inside of 5 minutes *ROLLYEYES*), and E)Jenny cartwheeling through lasers was a bit much. The Episode was just really really sloppy all around. The best moments were the Doctor reminiscing about about his past and his lost family.

And yeah, Donna, is still A-number-1 in my book.

Is it me, or does next week's episode look like its about Giant Bees?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

* Why did it require 'pixie dust' to bring Jenny back to life?

That was clearly the Regeneration gas we saw when the Doctor Regenerated in The Christmas Invasion and The Master in Utopia. The problem is, we saw similar styled "terraforming gas" not moments before, so its easy to jump to the conclusion "the terraforming gas did something!"

Again, sloppy storytelling.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Monarch

looks more like a wasp than a bee to me

Tu-plang

I don't think the plots are quite as hole-y as some on here might think..  All of these holes people have picked out have been pretty tenuous.

"...which doesn't work because the human leader is OLD"

Wha?  Why can't the human leader be old?  The other clones vary in age and gender, why not an old man?

"fish breath through gills, they had gills, shouldn't the gills be covered in piss water too?"

If the thing where their mouths should be helps them breathe, maybe it bypasses the gills altogether?

"'Sheâ??s too much like me.' Iâ??m probably being thick, but I donâ??t get why that would prevent her regenerating."

I think he meant that she recklessly sacrificed herself, like he might do.

DavidXBrunt

Martha was present when The Master refused to regenerate and has acces to UNIT records. She'd find out, surely?