Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Do Hewligan.

If you want a difficult haircut, it doesn't get harder than that.

Great work here.
Lock up your spoons!

Dash Decent

Quote from: ming on 29 August, 2018, 05:17:50 PM
I'm looking at my list of candidate characters and thinking about what to attempt next...  Most are probably a bit over-ambitious but we'll see what I can come up with in due course.

It would have to be Quinch, wouldn't it?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 August, 2018, 05:06:13 AM
Quote from: ming on 29 August, 2018, 05:17:50 PM
I'm looking at my list of candidate characters and thinking about what to attempt next...  Most are probably a bit over-ambitious but we'll see what I can come up with in due course.

It would have to be Quinch, wouldn't it?

For more information please reread ;).  There's no way on earth I'd have done one without the other!

Quote from: ming on 29 August, 2018, 08:20:01 AM
Back in the 2000AD Lego saddle with a pair of characters I've had in mind for ages but imagined would probably be beyond me.  Not sure that these are 100% done but they're close, I think (and as always they'll look better with the proper eyes).  Will order the bits in due course and ponder what to take a crack at next...

ming

Quick question: what colours would people suggest for GBH's skin / hair?  Prog colours usually show bluey-grey but Massimo colour work suggests bright orange hair with either purplish or grey skin.

I don't really feel I have to stick to any of those, really, but some kind of guidelines would be helpful.

Making some progress with Ace & Co., anyway...

ming

A fair way to go with this crew...  GBH's hair needs a lot more work (partly depending on the final colour and either way it's only half finished here).  I'll chip away at that and the bodies over the next couple of weeks.  These are definitely putting me through my paces; if you'd told me a year ago I'd be making a Lego Tam o' shanter I'd have laughed in your face.  Ace's point was *not* easy to achieve and I'm still not 100% happy with his head I've spent enough time trying to re-work it to know I probably can't do much better at that scale.

Anyway, brush your teeth and comb your hair, etc.

Update to follow at some point...

Tjm86

Looking forward to seeing you take a stab at Middenface Mcnulty!

:lol:

ming

Quote from: Tjm86 on 02 September, 2018, 11:00:03 AM
Looking forward to seeing you take a stab at Middenface Mcnulty!

:lol:

I had a quick go at Middenface a while back but it wasn't great; it seemed hard to get enough character out of it and even with lumps and bumps it felt something was lacking and it ended up feeling flat and a bit generic (for the same reason I won't bother with Bill Savage although having him in the bath with a rubber ducky might be fun).

Meanwhile I'm chipping away at GBH but I still don't know what colours to go with...

ming

Chipping away at Ace & Co. at the mo - making some progress with the help of Oskar (7) now...  I don't know how long it will take to get these finished but to be honest I'm enjoying these so much I'm in no hurry.

ming

Thanks for the comments and advice regarding the colour scheme for GBH; very helpful and much appreciated!  Oskar's been helping out again today so we've made a bit of progress...  Can't wait to get the finished and built; possibly the most fun build yet.

Tell me you wouldn't want these for Christmas and I won't believe you.

ming

Beta version of the Stud.io software does some lovely rendering - threw a bunch of the builds together just for fun...  Honestly, I'd buy these!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 16 September, 2018, 07:25:24 PM
Honestly, I'd buy these!

And you certainly wouldn't be alone!

Woolly

Shut up and take my money!
I'd adore these to be official products, i want them all!

ming

I've just discovered the 'Instructions' feature in the Stud.io Beta v2.0; I'll try and put this to good use and sort out instructions for the various character designs I've done digitally.  I still need to work back and do Dredd, Slaine et al. in Stud.io as well.  I need to find time to fiddle around with the instructions feature but it looks promising; I've had a quick go and now have a shiny .pdf instruction book for Garp the Barp.  I'll try and figure out a way to make these available to anyone who wants them, along with the Stud.io files...

We're doing the physical builds as soon as the rest of the bits arrive - yay!

IndigoPrime

Interesting that they've now added instructions. Seems like LDD is now basically dead to me, bar for a custom Batmobile that I Bricklinked but never got around to actually building! (LDD instructions were always a bit... curious. But then I guess that's going to be the case when they're automated.)

ming

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 October, 2018, 04:07:27 PM(LDD instructions were always a bit... curious. But then I guess that's going to be the case when they're automated.)

The Stud.io instructions aren't perfect but not too bad really; I can probably tweak the final output to iron out some of the slightly weird steps.  You can change the page set-up and move everything around so builds don't run to a million pages, which is handy.  On the whole, the Instructions thing is a very handy feature.

Oh, and I can now add the proper Brickheadz-style eyes in Stud.io (see above render of Ace).  I had to change one end of his scarf though; annoyingly not available in white.