Main Menu

That scene! - The best scene of Dredd 3D?

Started by Goaty, 18 October, 2012, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Wow... which scene is Number 1 of 10 Powerful Movie Scenes That Will Stay With You Forever!

http://whatculture.com/film/10-powerful-movie-scenes-that-will-stay-with-you-forever.php/10

1. Dredd – The Balcony

Despite the film's poor box office return I guarantee it has provided a scene so memorable and iconic that it will become movie legend alongside the bigger boat of Jaws and the Zed's dead of Pulp Fiction.

The Peach Trees tower block has been locked down by criminal boss, Mama, because Judge Dredd has captured one of her gang members and if he cracks under interrogation then her reign will be over. So with the block in lockdown and hundreds of armed gang members, Dredd is in the sh*t. Or so Mama thought.

In a totally mental scene, her lackeys pull up Gatlin guns, aim across the open court, and blast the hell out of the block where Dredd is hiding. Several moments and massacred innocents later, with the block in ruins and billowing smoke filling the building, she sends in her right hand man, Caleb, along with more goons, to check Dredd's dead.

We see what she sees – nothing but acrid smoke. We hear what she hear – gunshots. And then, through the smoke we see......

Caleb screaming, wide-eyed in terror, pushed forward by Dredd. Without hesitation, Dredd hurls him over the balcony to the floor several hundred metres below. When Mama finally manages to pick her jaw off the floor, we see the most kickass sight: Dredd disappearing back into the smoke.

And that is when she realises: he's not locked in with them, they're locked in with him!

Like I said, it encapsulates all the sensations of the previous 9 scenes: wonderment, disbelief, amazement, horror, joy and spine tingles as Dredd – without uttering a single word – provides the most startling badass image and characterisation ever committed to celluloid. Upon watching it, I knew I'd seen something very special. I knew I'd remember where I was the day I saw it. And you will too.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Wow, that guy must have been a real fan to put that as the best moment in movie history ever. Good on him!

Stan

I certainly found it to be the most unsettling part of the film. Not the Hans Grubering, but the indiscriminate slaughter by Ma-Ma and her henchpersons. Obviously Garland and co. thought so too otherwise they wouldn't have had a kid A-Team his way out of the rubble afterwards.

Danbo

Great scene but " I am you father" steals it for me.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Apestrife

Insane scene. Love everything about it! Only problem is that it's impossible to describe for people who hasn't seen it, it's too damned awesome...

radiator

That was the bit - when you see Dredd creeping up behind the perps through the smoke - was when my girlfriend nudged me and whispered "He's AMAZING!"

von Boom

Agreed. That is the scene that sums up Dredd and this film perfectly.