Main Menu

Meg 387 - Skyhigh!

Started by Freddychopper, 11 August, 2017, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

I suspect budget and time were the key elements, though issue 11 had a decent cover that wasn't obscured by any text. As there was no greyed-up image for the strip title pages, or a penultimate page 'Why not try these titles?' page, it felt like the comic book equivalent of a box of Black Magic chocolates. An appropriate choice given the ads that ran when Tornado was around 😁I was impressed that the strip from the Tornado annual was included. Given that the Treasury titles are not as well documented as 2000ad, It was good to see someone going the extra mile there.

As there are so many references to the Tornado aircraft I'd guess that this strip was devised after the comics name had been changed from 'Heroes' The first part does have a natural split half-way through which makes me wonder if the strip was originally planned as 3 pages a week, which was the norm for comics of the time.

It's also fun to see the Volgans play a role. Around the time of the strip Disaster 1990 was running, so it felt like a celebration of Invasion! Hammerstein's War Memoirs was also around that time, referencing the Mega-Cities and Harlem Heroes, so it was a time when there was an attempt to build a common future history into which all strips could slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 August, 2017, 07:50:29 PM
I prefer a flan. Can I have £1 on that?

BTW any Dreddlines? I've yet to letter from my new address. Thinking of moving back!

Nope, now back to the pokey, the pillow slip and Mr Big.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Good Megazine, when did that logo come in on the cover?...I really should pay more attention..

Dredd's are all good, skipptyskipped the Four Stoogies of the Apocalypse, text didn't really interest me this month.

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

sorry for three in a row...

But there's an ad for Dundee comic courses too...

can anyone scan that and post it?
DDT did a job on me

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 August, 2017, 12:49:04 AM
I suspect budget and time were the key elements, though issue 11 had a decent cover that wasn't obscured by any text. As there was no greyed-up image for the strip title pages, or a penultimate page 'Why not try these titles?' page, it felt like the comic book equivalent of a box of Black Magic chocolates. An appropriate choice given the ads that ran when Tornado was around 😁I was impressed that the strip from the Tornado annual was included. Given that the Treasury titles are not as well documented as 2000ad, It was good to see someone going the extra mile there.

Good catch on Tornado #11 - I'd forgotten about that until I went looking when you mentioned it. The logo and "MEET JOHNNY LAWLESS INSIDE!" look relatively straightforward to finesse out of the image, and it's not too bad a cover image after that (though a lot would depend on how the scanned colour cover held up on reprinting).

Colin YNWA

Well behind a cover I'd never had guessed was by Richard Elson in a gazillion years we have a bloody fine Meg.

Really enjoyed Dredd have we seen Joel Carpenter before? I'm not familar with the name but something is niggling at me that we've seen this work before? Either way its excellent and while this is a fairly story has a fairly typical 'hoist by your own petard' conclusion its a fun story with a good target and nicely executed. Beginning to think this Rory chap has a future writing Dredd I've enjoyed his offerings of late.

Anderson is two seasoned pros at the very top of their game, loving it. Turning Anderson into a caped hero on the first page is such a fantastic touch. You wonder of it was scripted by Grant or added by Marshal both are so good. Love the way the stakes are raised in nicely fresh ways and I'm bought into this big time.

Havn as I've said before lost me a while ago BUT there's so much to enjoy I'm really looking forward to 'one sitting' this soon as I think its an absolute gem with a great final episode. Though that 'Expelling all Aliens' line at the end will inform by new read no doubt.

Movie Dredd is pretty good if not earth shattering.

Finally in a fifth thrill I'm finding I'm enjoying Dominion FAR more than I expected. I'm so done with the Dark Judges, Dark Justice did absolutely nowt for me... this though, this is entirely different. The atmosphere is superb, I'm finally spooked by Dredd's nemeses (yes I looked that plural up!) and that Alien tribute is sublime. Hats off to all concerned for returning these baddies to LONG lost glories.

Oh I say finally but both text pieces are excellent this month and so they make a fitting finally...

... oh except the inclusion of Lawless Touch from Tornado, a strip I've never read means the floppie for just about the first time is a must read for me... not that I've got to it yet though... the fact I need to means all of a sudden The Meg represents simply incredibly good value.

Truly the Meg has been good since I've need on board and while the quality here, while excellent, might not be quite as good as the very best its been, the simple quanitity elevates this to another level.

Richard

Finally started reading The Lawless Touch, and it's actually really good. I hadn't had high hopes for a strip from Tornado, but I like it. It's a shame it didn't transfer over to 2000AD instead of The Mind if Wolfie bloody Smith.

I don't have a problem with the cover, as it's such a striking logo.

Magnetica

I'm amazed at the limited number of actual reviews we seem to get in the Meg thread these days.

Here is mine.

Dredd: sorry, for me this wasn't great. I found it hard to engage with the idea that the whole city was in peril. After such events as the Apocalypse War, Necropolis, Judgement Day, Doomsday, Day of Chaos etc, the peril here was didn't seem that ...well...perilous.

Most interesting thing was the panel on the bottom left of page two, where the badge of the judge standing next to Dredd, says "Dredd". (Hmmm?)

Anderson: this is beginning to drag a bit now (counting the previous story as part of this one.)

Havn: I have enjoyed this strip. Nice to see one trying to do something different. It certainly went I a direction I didn't expect.

Movie Dredd: enjoyable if nothing new.

Dominion: I am enjoying Nick Perceival's art far more than before (it seems less "stiff"). The story seems to be good too- but why would Death and Fire risk discovery so early by killing the two crew from the ship ( but guess that will become academic once it all kicks off)?

Bolt-01

The Lawless Touch was a lot of fun, but it wears its 'Stainless Steel Rat' influences very openly. Some lovely art as well, really enjoyed that.