Main Menu

Detectorists

Started by von Boom, 04 December, 2017, 08:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

"Potentially."

Sublime. Definitely worth watching, Huffy.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eamonn Clarke

One of the best shows on British television in recent years.

Soft spoiler: [spoiler]There's a moment towards the end of series 2 where Sophie Thompson's character's back story is revealed, and it's all done with silence and facial acting, and it's just breath-taking[/spoiler].

Proudhuff

Doh! bbc iplayer only got the latest series on....
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 January, 2018, 12:51:59 PM

Netflix have the first two, if you have access to that.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2018, 02:43:45 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 January, 2018, 12:51:59 PM

Netflix have the first two, if you have access to that.

Cheersma dear!
will dig it up  ;)
DDT did a job on me

von Boom

This is one of those series I will have to physically own. Can't rely on streaming services for something this good.

von Boom

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I'm late to the party as usual, not really having given much thought to a sitcom about two men walking round fields.  But I've just watched the whole thing in the space of a week, and feck me, what a joy to behold this show is. I was kind of mentally labelling it as 'not really laugh-out-loud funny' till I found myself laughing out loud numerous times.  And also finding tears streaming down my face with some of the more emotionally moving sections.

You'd be hard pressed to get a better final episode too - everyone gets a nice ending without any kind of oversentimentality, and the very last scene is somehow very ironic and very uplifting at the same time.  (And the revelation of the theme song's last verse - I hadn't noticed that the singer had been summarising the story all along. Wonderful.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Dang it. I saw this thread highlighted and thought someone was posting about a new series. Way to get my hopes up and then dash them to nought all in the same half a minute, Internet! >:(

Although, it does remind me to give it a re-watch soon - so at least there's that...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry.  On the other hand, I really, really don't think there should be another series.  That way Life on the Road, the US Office, and all the Friday Rogue stories after The War Machine lie.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

You're absolutely right, of course. If there was another series, though, or a special, I'd simply have to watch it...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

I've got this thread to thank for switching me onto this, so thank you all! Have been a bit evangelical about it since, I rewatch is in order, and I'll add the box set to my 'wish list' just in case it disappears from streaming.
DDT did a job on me