Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLC

Quote from: von Boom on 04 August, 2017, 01:39:57 PM
They had a hard enough time explaining TOS Klingons in NG/DS9/Voy. How are they going to account for these Klingons I wonder?
Haha! Yes.

From everything I've seen so far this cynically made show is gonna backfire in their stupid faces.

Professor Bear

They've already explained the new Klingons, you just have to take your pick of what explanation you prefer:
1 - they're Klingons who don't leave the house much, so they didn't catch the space cold from Enterprise that turns Bill Bailey Klingons into Fu Manchu Klingons, or
2 - it's a reboot that ignores continuity as and when it wants to.

Quote from: JLC on 04 August, 2017, 02:28:32 PMFrom everything I've seen so far this cynically made show is gonna backfire in their stupid faces.

Hard to see how: rather than paying to make it themselves, they got paid to make it and they got the money up front.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 03 August, 2017, 07:38:43 AM
:o Yeesh, Klingon women weren't exactly attractive before, but Jebuz, they got fugly!  http://www.treknews.net/2017/08/01/star-trek-discovery-photos-mary-chieffo-lrell/

Yeah, well...
<meep! meep!>

Excuse me for a moment. My communicator mobile phone is ringing.

Hello? You say your name is L'Rell?
You want a date with that the sexy hunk of man flesh called Dreddzilla, asap and you'll commit hegh'bat if he doesn't agree?

Well this is awkward...

:lol:

They've really aliened them up for the new show for sure. The duras sisters look like human hybrids in comparison.

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 August, 2017, 02:41:27 PM
They've already explained the new Klingons, you just have to take your pick of what explanation you prefer:
1 - they're Klingons who don't leave the house much, so they didn't catch the space cold from Enterprise that turns Bill Bailey Klingons into Fu Manchu Klingons, or
2 - it's a reboot that ignores continuity as and when it wants to.

Quote from: JLC on 04 August, 2017, 02:28:32 PMFrom everything I've seen so far this cynically made show is gonna backfire in their stupid faces.

Hard to see how: rather than paying to make it themselves, they got paid to make it and they got the money up front.
We'll see. It seems to be made for the sole reason of promoting CBS All Access. It will be a critical disaster.

TordelBack

Critics be damned: those pixels don't fill themselves. I doubt CBS will take everyone's fees back out of their bank accounts, so aside from not getting a longer run of work, for all those involved it should be an okay job. As for Trekkies, the fear is that we'll see the franchise reshelved for who knows how long: I could really go for a decent new Trek series about now, Beyond and an ongoing rewatch of Voyager enabling a new phase of my destructive relationship.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2017, 02:04:36 PM
...an ongoing rewatch of Voyager

Are you watching it daily on the Horror Channel same as me then?

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 August, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2017, 02:04:36 PM
...an ongoing rewatch of Voyager

Are you watching it daily on the Horror Channel same as me then?

It'd be an apt venue alright, but no, Netflix with the kids as schedules permit. Just getting to the end of Season 4, which is proving chock-full of stinkers, disappointing after the surprisingly strong Hirogen-centered middle part. Still think Season 2 was the high watermark, and the show never really recovers from losing Kes and sidelining Nelix in favour of Seven, but hey, it's way more enjoyable than I have been giving it credit for, is refreshingly restrained in its use of the 'traditional' races and Federation political kerfuffles, and the potential for more in a similar vein is enticing. 

Some random thoughts:

There are some bizarre efforts to convince us that Seven is an integral part of the crew.  In the episode so-so episode 'One' Chakotay delivers a speech about Janeway's unique bond with Seven that no-one else can have, and those of use on the couch gave a (-ahem-) collective 'WHUHH..?'.  There has been no evidence of anything like this to date, quite the opposite if anything.

The various iterations of Evil Chakotay and Evil Paris that we get from time to time are so much better than the real characters that it's always a let down when the 'real' versions reappear.  Evil Janeway on the other hand is basically no different, which is kind of interesting, when the other two are supposed to be edgy sources of conflict.

Professor Bear

Somewhere around the early part of season 5 was where I called it a day with the Voyager re-watch, as Seven was just too much.  It's not that the character is actually that bad - certainly not compared to the company she has onscreen - so much as she's overexposed and at some point it becomes impossible to unsee where she's been given other characters' lines and screen time.  There's something like a year of build-up to Year Of Hell that's flushed when Seven is given Kes' role in the story, while I lost count of the episodes where someone would say "Seven and/or her Fucking Nanobots would totally know what to do here, we should call her right now".

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2017, 02:37:33 PM
It'd be an apt venue alright, but no, Netflix with the kids as schedules permit. Just getting to the end of Season 4, which is proving chock-full of stinkers, disappointing after the surprisingly strong Hirogen-centered middle part.

Horror Channel is currently an episode or two past 'Year of Hell', so about half a season behind you. For me it's not quite a rewatch, as post-Season 3, my viewing started to drop off, and I doubt I've seen that much of Seasons 6 & 7. The character I mourn the loss of is Hogan - the crew could have used the continued presence of a shit-stirrer like him. Been good if they'd kept Lon Suder a little longer too, as Brad Dourif's (admittedly typecast) performance was probably better than the material deserved.

I agree that Bad Chakotay in particular is always a bonus - the regular incarnation could really use being a bit more edgy, maybe with a touch of the mutinous holographic version in 'Worst Case Scenario'. Heck, he's often so bland that even giving him a beard for one episode makes him more charismatic. However, no matter what iteration of Tom Paris I'm presented with, my view of the character has been eternally dogged by my father's description of him as 'Les Dennis in space'. It's something of a shame they weren't able to just have him play Nick Locarno instead, as Robert Duncan McNeill is clearly a good actor.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 August, 2017, 03:24:45 PMIt's something of a shame they weren't able to just have him play Nick Locarno instead, as Robert Duncan McNeill is clearly a good actor.

Not using Nick Locarno instead of Paris remains inexplicable to me.  There was a character that really was in need of redemption, and not just the approval of a surrogate parent.

Thanks for the Les Dennis thing, Greg's Dad - that's my head wrecked too now.  I'll fire one back at you - once observed, the rapidly expanding waistlines of Tom, Harry, Chakotay and even Tuvok as Season 4 proceeds can never be unseen. I can only assume sympathetic pregnancy, or just a really concerted attempt to give B'Elanna's bump something to hide behind. Top marks, by the way, go to keeping Roxann Dawson on board and on camera throughout her pregnancy - clever use of shot-framing, tables and That Jacket really work.   

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is anyone planning to buy into CBS all access just to watch Star Trek Discovery? From what I've gathered you need a VPN or Virtual Private Network for $80 odd dollars a year if your outside the USA which is most people here on this forum. There appear to be several companies that provide this service, and you will have access [I assume] to all the other CBS shows, but it does seem a bit of a hassle just to watch a TV programme! I'll probably wait till it comes onto Download TV.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

I'm pretty sure it's appearing on Netflix over here. Probably a lot later than the Americans get it, but I'll wait...

dweezil2

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 August, 2017, 04:42:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it's appearing on Netflix over here. Probably a lot later than the Americans get it, but I'll wait...

We're (UK) getting it on Netflix a day after the US screening on September 25th, apparently.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/star-trek-discovery-uk-release-date-trailers
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 03 August, 2017, 07:38:43 AM
:o Yeesh, Klingon women weren't exactly attractive before, but Jebuz, they got fugly!  http://www.treknews.net/2017/08/01/star-trek-discovery-photos-mary-chieffo-lrell/

I've been trying to figure out what it was about this that looked so familiar.  Then I looked at Dan Dare: Rogue Planet.  They're not Klingon's, they're Phants!

Mardroid

Quote from: dweezil2 on 06 August, 2017, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 06 August, 2017, 04:42:32 PM

We're (UK) getting it on Netflix a day after the US screening on September 25th, apparently.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/star-trek-discovery-uk-release-date-trailers

Thanks for the update! Much quicker than I thought.