Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

On a separate topic, but not completely unrelated: everyone's freaking out about Discovery's Klingons looking different than TNG/DS9/Voyager. The costumes are more elaborate (and apparently will be explained why in the show) but do they really look this different? Even as a kid being brought to see TMP in 1979, the now lumpy-headed Klingons didn't bother me at all. I just accepted these were the same as the ones in the 60s show but updated. Am I an idiot for doing the same here? I'll go one step further: I H-A-T-E-D the show tried to explain a difference between the two versions of Klingons on the show.

I'm going to go do something now to remind myself I am actually a grown man...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

We already know that from the press releases: they're isolated Klingon extremists, so they never caught the space-flu that made lumpy-head Klingons into regular humans.

There's a behind-the-scenes video somewhere about the making of DS9's Trials And Tribbleations in which the writers are slapping their thighs and laughing about the fact that any in-universe explanation they offered as to why Klingons didn't have lumpy heads in TOS would be utter nonsense, and I think Enterprise's writers felt much the same way but had to get it over with.  They cast Uncle Phil as a Klingon in the episode, though, and he does his Shredder voice so it isn't a total loss.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

blackmocco

I'm a single-sex species. I can only mate with myself.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

blackmocco

Hollywood's kiss of death: No reviews allowed before the show airs. I've been trying hard to stay positive here, but man o man. Throw me a fuckin' bone here.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/cbs-wont-allow-any-reviews-of-star-trek-discovery-befo-1809073782

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

So much for bad reviews not mattering as long as that Moonves guy liked it.

von Boom

JLC

Just watched ep2 of The Orville, in the pre-credits sequence Seth MacFarlane says "I'm just not gonna try comedy with you anymore" ANYMORE?!?

Professor Bear

ZING.  He is the weakest thing about it, but the show itself is off to a decent start - certainly better than most sci-fi shows I can think of, especially the Treks.  If nothing else, it's amusing to see those reviewers with pre-written copy now trying to backpeddle, and I fully expect when it does an objectively good episode that many reviewers will seize the chance to start a "this is where the Orville finally found its feet!" narrative.

The title sequence has me scratching my chin why Axanar got sued but this gets a free pass, tho.  I can only conclude that unlike everything else about that increasingly-dystopian hellhole, America's satire laws must be pretty fucking liberal.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 September, 2017, 11:49:19 PM
ZING.  He is the weakest thing about it, but the show itself is off to a decent start - certainly better than most sci-fi shows I can think of, especially the Treks.  If nothing else, it's amusing to see those reviewers with pre-written copy now trying to backpeddle, and I fully expect when it does an objectively good episode that many reviewers will seize the chance to start a "this is where the Orville finally found its feet!" narrative.

The title sequence has me scratching my chin why Axanar got sued but this gets a free pass, tho.  I can only conclude that unlike everything else about that increasingly-dystopian hellhole, America's satire laws must be pretty fucking liberal.

Perhaps CBS saw the first few episodes as well and figured it wasn't worth their time and effort. Pretty much the same as how I feel about it. It's not terrible enough to rant about, but it's maddeningly generic in every regard. Not funny enough to land jokes, not interesting enough to make it as drama. I wish it well, it may find its feet as it goes, but until it decides to stop blatantly tracing TNG and do something of its own, I really can't imagine giving it too much of my attention.

(It's better than all of Enterprise though. And three-quarters of Voyager. That's not exactly setting the bar high though...)

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Lots of Discovery clips showing up, and I'm going to try avoid them from this point on for risk of spoilers but I quite liked this promo. Yeah, a lot of talking head stuff but there's some nice clips of character interaction in here that really give me some hope the show's going to get things right and give us something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zy-7kUPQXs

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

Quote from: blackmocco on 20 September, 2017, 12:15:56 AMIt's not terrible enough to rant about, but it's maddeningly generic in every regard. Not funny enough to land jokes, not interesting enough to make it as drama. I wish it well, it may find its feet as it goes, but until it decides to stop blatantly tracing TNG and do something of its own, I really can't imagine giving it too much of my attention.

You are describing the show that Trek fans dream about.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.