Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.

Smith

blackmocco

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2017, 12:10:14 PM
{Fanconning rather than Crediting the Writers here, but...} I think T'Kumva is deliberately playing against this aspect of Kilngon culture, with his morbid emphasis on the remains of warriors, even using them as 'armour', emphasising respect for a lost past, and by extension pain-sticking everyone's conscience about what Kahless would have wanted from them.  Celebrating the physical presence of the honoured dead is a familiar trick from a nationalist.

Anyway, it's more the cowardly act [spoiler]of hiding a bomb in a corpse[/spoiler], rather than the sanctity of the corpse itself, that would strike me as anathemic to Klingon notions of honour (although that's a bit rich from a race that prides itself on its cloaking technology).

Yeah, that move was pretty Kirk-ian. Taking the no-win scenario and sticking it up their arse.

Absolutely in agreement regarding the variety of ship designs too. Star Trek's 51 years old now. Can we just let loose and have some fun now, rather than being strangled by canon?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

Not that there's any point watching the Orville anymore seeing as how it's probably already canceled, but last night's was the most SG1-y thing I have seen in years, and also featured a blink-and-miss-it cameo from Northern Ireland's most notable export since the bomb that killed Mountbatten.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 September, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Not that there's any point watching the Orville anymore seeing as how it's probably already canceled, but last night's was the most SG1-y thing I have seen in years, and also featured a blink-and-miss-it cameo from Northern Ireland's most notable export since the bomb that killed Mountbatten.

Orville held the same ratings as last week. They're not great ratings but not bad considering the competition it's up against on Thursdays. It actually picked up viewers once Gotham ended. Whether that's enough to keep it flying, we'll see.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

DaveGYNWA

Mick - making a comment about Orville and flying is only going to put this to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnuMxFnc1k
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Goaty

Really enjoy the episodes after re-watch 2nd time. Really glad it shows that both Starfleet and Klingon is same equal power, to give it fair fights.

Look forward to next episode, the really beginning of Discovery! I bet some of you on here would moaning about USS Discovery ship design!

blackmocco

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 29 September, 2017, 09:45:05 PM
Mick - making a comment about Orville and flying is only going to put this to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnuMxFnc1k

Man, that's ALL I picture every time I hear the name! Haha! Thankfully nobody knows who that shite is over here but it's damaged the brand for me right from the get-go.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Goaty on 29 September, 2017, 09:49:27 PM
Really enjoy the episodes after re-watch 2nd time. Really glad it shows that both Starfleet and Klingon is same equal power, to give it fair fights.

Look forward to next episode, the really beginning of Discovery! I bet some of you on here would moaning about USS Discovery ship design!

I actually love the design of it. She's been revamped since the 2016 San Diego teaser quite a bit. The nacelles are way longer and the saucer has those cut-outs (that I'm assuming are functional in some manner) added but I've really come to love the straight-line clunkiness.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: blackmocco on 29 September, 2017, 10:02:29 PM
Man, that's ALL I picture every time I hear the name! Haha! Thankfully nobody knows who that shite is over here but it's damaged the brand for me right from the get-go.

Awww....here's something to make it better:

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Tiplodocus

I watched a YouTube "Best episodes..." video which made me realise I hadn't seen all of Season 3 and 4 of Enterpise after all. So I've set about filling the gap and my goodness it's fantastic stuff as Archer makes all sorts of compromises to complete his mission. Two episodes already having scenes which nearly brought a tear to my glass eye. Bakula is giving it his all and Trip, T'Pol and Phlox are consistently great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

I keep saying it - Enterprise is my favourite Trek series. I love how they have to rely on their wits and principles whilst crawling around in a ridiculously underpowered starship.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JLC

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 September, 2017, 12:22:58 PM
I keep saying it - Enterprise is my favourite Trek series. I love how they have to rely on their wits and principles whilst crawling around in a ridiculously underpowered starship.
:o

auxlen

Stealing from Red letter Media: i feel like we've yet to see an episode of STD yet...that was more of a prequel?

blackmocco

Quote from: auxlen on 30 September, 2017, 04:49:02 PM
Stealing from Red letter Media: i feel like we've yet to see an episode of STD yet...that was more of a prequel?

Golden rule when telling a story: Show us. Don't just tell us. We'd never have gotten an inkling of Burnham's character without seeing this story first. People say they want to be surprised when they watch something new but it's clear they really don't, judging by the response to the pilot's lack of the Discovery herself. I'm not seeing the problem, myself. There's another thirteen episodes of it to come.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com