Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

SOURCE CODE - Hugely overrated. Its a future-shock without an editor, inception-lite. Very disappointed . Lots of nice bits (the kiss had a few ladies present weepy) and well acted etc but it clunked due to its unconvincing inconsistently carried out clunky premise. Moon has similar scripting problem (why did he save the robot then go on earth media to reveal the big bad which would implicate the robot again) so maybe Mr Jones needs a tharg as much as tharg could do with a mr jones.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 April, 2011, 07:56:17 AM
Doublepost, but watched The Good The Bad The Weird last night and absolutely loved it. Rented it on the strength of Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw The Devil, and I would now consider Jee-woon Kim one of my favorite writer/directors. This was so different to those movies but still pulled off with the kind of flair and energy you know Hollywood wishes it could muster. Really funny, action-packed stuff.

Jee-woon Kim is great. I think three of my favorite living genre directors are Korean. They remind me of what a med student friend of mine complained about psyche patients: Those guys will NOT play by the rules!! Hugely envious you've gotten to see I Saw The Devil, Keef. I am crazy geared up to see that film.

Keef Monkey

I like that description of Korean directors! I particularly love it when they seem to be setting out to make something that sounds pretty standard on paper (like The Good, The Bad, The Weird) but it comes out skewed. There's often a particular balance between humor and darkness which you don't really find anywhere else.

I Saw The Devil is a good example, I'd never heard of it and saw it at a horror festival and it blew me away! It's horrifically dark and you know you should be appalled but it somehow manages to be laugh out loud funny pretty often. I definitely can't imagine even a great Hollywood director managing to pull it off. I'm particularly impressed that the 3 Jee-woon Kim movies I've now seen have been 3 different genres, all handled brilliantly.

Hope you like it when you do catch it, will be interesting to see what you think because I can imagine the unpleasantness making it a real love/hate movie.

TordelBack

Cave of Forgotten Dreams.  If you have the faintest interest in either: art, prehistory, the human condition, charming French and German weirdos, Herzog's bizarre documentary style or albino crocodiles that live in the heated water from nuclear powerplants (and that's 6 out of 6 for me), you must see this in 3D, and in the cinema.  Go, now.  Don't delay.

Keef Monkey

Had the flat to myself last night so spent it in the dark watching Blade Runner: THe Final Cut. Hadn't seen it on blu-ray yet (and hadn't seen The Final Cut version at all), it's total eye sex. The 5.1 mix is stunning too, I couldn't quite believe how fresh and amazing the movie looks.

Similarly to the Alien director's cut I love how Scott tweaks and perfects things when he revisits his movies, instead of doing a Lucas and getting over-excited and pooping all over it. The adjustments he makes suggest he genuinely has a considered eye for what made the movie special in the first place. Although changing the line 'I want more life fucker' to 'I want more life father' now means it's not the same as the lyric in 'More Human Than Human' by White Zombie, so maybe they should do a special edition of that for continuity.

doggettX

Mamma Mia

It was on ITV1 and I had nothing better to do.
I feel no shame.

radiator

Went to see Submarine last night - really enjoyed it, but it's obviously one of those films that is only ever going to appeal to a niche audience (two blokes walked out of the cinema halfway through).

I was surprised at how funny it was, and it reminded me of Wes Anderson's work, at least on a superficial level, though it is shot in a more energetic way.

The two leads are very sweet - the main character having previously appeared as the teenage vampire in Being Human, and the cast overall are superb - especially the deranged performance of the ever-reliable Paddy Considine.

My only criticism would perhaps be that it does fall into cliched 'indie' movie territory from time to time, and that it possibly drags a little towards the end. Still - well worth a watch if you're a fan of this sort of thing.

Van Dom

Cabin Fever 2:Spring Fever.
Which was confusing to me , as I only ever saw the last ten minutes of the first Cabin Fever and I never sought it out to see it all. By all accounts, Cabin Fever 2 was a bit of a mess, with the director disowning it and everything, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. The cast were mostly good, the main guy was likeable and not your usual American High School pretty-boy type. His nerdy friend was cool too. It had a really wierd vibe about it, pretty funky directing (Directed by the same guy who made House of the Devil, a GREAT film although it ends too abruptly after a looooooooooooooong build up). The gore was off the chain but despite all the people exploding, melting, coming apart etc, it was the scene where one guy pulls a fingernail off that just got to me and made me turn away from the screen. Can't handle the 'so real it could be real' scenes at all. Good music in this one as well. The ending was an oddity though - the main story didn't seem to really end at all, just segued into a totally different 'side' story for the last ten minutes. Having read about this online, it seems that the director bailed before finishing the shoot and so the producers ended up shooting a totally different ending to tack on. Shame though. I dont get the directors problem really, it wasnt THAT bad.

Enjoyed.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2011, 08:56:06 PM
Cave of Forgotten Dreams.  If you have the faintest interest in either: art, prehistory, the human condition, charming French and German weirdos, Herzog's bizarre documentary style or albino crocodiles that live in the heated water from nuclear powerplants (and that's 6 out of 6 for me), you must see this in 3D, and in the cinema.  Go, now.  Don't delay.

Can't wait to see this. Herzog has improved so much over the decades.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2011, 10:28:25 PM

It is fucking brilliant.  Haven't stopped thinking about it since*.  It's the first time I've seen 3D put to entirely indispensible use.

*I should add that I went to see Chauvet Cave last year, even though you can't get in - just to see the entrance, just to see where it was, and I've previously been to most of the publicly accessible decorated caves in France.  So I may not be the most neutral reviewer when it comes to the subject matter.  Even so, the style of the documentary is so unique, so completely outside my expectation, that it was way more interesting than I was hoping.

The fact that it was the first time I've ever been in a completely full, completely silent cinema suggests I may not be that biased.

I, Cosh

Even more annoyed about missing this now.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2011, 10:28:25 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2011, 08:56:06 PM

Once this hits wide release in the US I'll be there opening night. I've loved every single documentary of his I've seen, and could not get enough of Encounters at the End of the World. Good on France for having the sense to hire Werner for this job.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 April, 2011, 10:37:28 PMEven so, the style of the documentary is so unique, so completely outside my expectation, that it was way more interesting than I was hoping.

Considering his older doc-films about mirages and the burning oil-fields of the first Gulf-War, it should be interesting...

Whatever about aul Werner, he still has tireless artistic integrity.

and I love 'Even Dwarfs started Small', Time Bandits on Ibiza.

Mardroid

Thir13en Ghosts

I've seen it before, but it was still fairly enjoyable.

Classic quip from the Nanny character:

[spoiler]"So the lawyer had to split, huh?"

And the bit when she actually saw what had happened to the lawyer:

"Is that half a lawyer?... He's looked better."[/spoiler]

Guess I have a sick mind.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 April, 2011, 04:30:09 AM
Thir13en Ghosts

I've seen it before, but it was still fairly enjoyable.

I've been meaning to grab this one for quite a while. It gets mixed reviews, which may have put me off...

I watched WHISPER, starring Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST).

Basically, an okay horror/ thriller flick.

I give it a quick review here:

http://waynesimmons.org/blog/?p=408