Main Menu

Is Grant Morrison overrated?

Started by skoi, 04 November, 2008, 02:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 November, 2008, 04:20:18 PM
The JLA stuff I've read (and I must admit its not a great deal) not so keen on.

Well what a fool I was. Finally got around to reading Morrison's JLA run. Well still have World War III to go but that'll have to be some sort of spectacular howler to change my opinion. Its frankly brillant combining great traditional superhero fun and superb characterisation with Morrison own vision of the potential realities out there. Just wonderful stuff.

The fill-ins are superb as well. There's a particularly fine one by Millar to boot which reminds you when he's not going over the top or pampering to Hollywood what a fine writer he can be.

Ok its not as good as Animal Man or Zenith but still its great.

Emperor

Also what struck me looking back on it, is that there are plot threads that he dropped in here which simmered away until cropping up in stories like Seven Soldiers.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

dannbradfc

Can't work out morrison out its like the marmite thing. I love animal man and its a shame that he isn't one of the greatest and most famous characters out there. Think about it he's millions of creatures/powers to chose from not just spiders;. But whilst morrison's run is superb and it you only have to keep reading the rest post-morrison to see what a struggle it was for some to follow in his wake. I wasn't overly keen on his personal appearance neither but you have to admire his confidence. I've got a ton load of his doom patrol run recently and i am starting them from kupperberg onwards, but hope it does'nt go the way of filth which is just too far gone and i lost interest in parts. i will read it again one day when in the mood and perhaps it wil make more sense. Overall he is one of the most famous comic names there is and to question his ability is also to question comics as a genre in some ways. Should they just be fun and entertaining or also make you think, even a bit too much on occasions.

worldshown

Is it bad that Tesco are offering Morrison's "Batman: Black Glove" for 19p?

http://www.tesco.com/books/Product.aspx?R=9781845769628

Dandontdare

Quote from: worldshown on 17 August, 2009, 07:49:05 PM

Ahh, but if you check the site closely, you'll see it's discounted from a RRP of 20p.
Which is just crazy money.

Roger Godpleton

I wonder if he'd ever be willing to do his own version of Slaine. Maybe it would be about one of the Cyth Gods underlings who is forced to watch Slaine's every move on behalf of his master who develops an intense attraction for Slaine and the underling goes insane (inSlaine?) and tries to kill Slaine. It would also include a bunch of obscure Slaine characters from the 1950s.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 August, 2009, 09:42:47 PM
Quote from: worldshown on 17 August, 2009, 07:49:05 PM

Ahh, but if you check the site closely, you'll see it's discounted from a RRP of 20p.
Which is just crazy money.

Its a pre-order and its been out for a while now hasn't it??? Will it ever come?

Colin YNWA

Interesting talk between Morrison and Clive Barker here. No 2000ad reference but interesting. Either video or transcript.

http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/2009/08/18/grant-morrison-clive-barker-mental-meltdown/

Colin YNWA

Well bugger me overrated or not Grant Morrison is 50th today. Not sure quite why that's surprising me as much as it does but it does.

Happy Birthday Mr Morrison.

Mike Gloady

Happy birthday Mr Morrison. 

His stuff usually fails to work for me more often than not (although when he's on form, he's very very good) but he's doing well for himself and lots of folks enjoy it so well done him.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Roger Godpleton

I was surprised when I realised he'd be 50 this year. Happy Birthday to my favourite comic writer evar (note that I didn't say he was the "best" comic writer evar").
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

bluemeanie

I'd say a lot of his work is overrated. I thought Final Crisis was rubbish and Batman RIP was beyond horrible. Just hated it. But then the all prose Batman one shot issue he did was amazing as was JLA Earth 2 and his X-Men run etc etc

My main problem with him is the Morrison groupies who remind me of the Emperors new clothes characters. He writes a page and they all come up with all this clever stuff in there, most of which Im convinced wasnt written. They are just so caught up in how clever and frigging "meta" he is that they see stuff that isnt there.
"Oh that man in the background has purple trousers... thats obviously an analogy to the Hulk and mans duality and inner demons cleverly juxtaposed against the main focus of the panel which is blah blah blah"

Plus he does fall into the category of writers, for me anyway, where when he is being clever it comes across as smug and deliberately complicated in a "look at how clever I am" kind of way. I personally find that really off-putting. You can be as clever as you like but your main focus has to be telling a good story. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesnt.

I, Cosh

I don't bother with any of that Crisis stuff, but I do still buy most one-off things he writes and I can report that the first issue of Joe the Barbarian was pish. Nice art and may very well work as the start of a longer form work but, as an individual comic, completely lacking in almost every respect.
We never really die.

Hell Trekker

I really loved his Doom Patrol as a whole.  Crazy Jane was a great character and the ending was beautiful, to me at least.