Main Menu

August/Sept SHORT STORY COMP - "I'll Never For Get Whatisname"

Started by Bad City Blue, 16 August, 2017, 05:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The Mission.

There is no greater responsibility than serving Justice Department. This is what I tell the judges under my command every day. They scoff. They scoff because they think our Department is irrelevant. They scoff because they think what we do is irrelevant. They scoff because they think I am irrelevant.

They are wrong and in the weeks and months ahead I will prove this to them without a shadow of doubt.

I enter the office more poised than usual, shoulders back, chest out, a Dreddish set to my jaw. I've spent extra time oiling my sleathers, polishing my boots and buffing my badge. The other judges notice.

"Who got you ready?" Judge Snyder's lip curls, the insolence in her eyes flashing like green razors.

"He's either getting a commendation or a rocket," Judge Snere says through a gurgling chuckle.

Judge Cilious opens his mouth to add one of his passively aggressive observations but I raise my hand in an imperious manner, a manner I've been practising for ages, and cut him off.

"That's enough," I say, and the steel in my voice surprises all three of them. If I'm honest, and I am, it surprises even me. "Today marks the end of this Division being treated like a joke."

Snere laughs but the sound is uncertain. The other two judges feign mild interest.

"I have been given a mission," I say, "a mission of of vital importance to the future of Mega City One which will put our Division on the map once and for all."

"Rubbish," Snyder waves a dismissive hand. "You said the same thing last month and that was about nothing but changing our helmet polish supplier."

I grind my teeth, forcing myself to remain calm. "Be that as it may, I depart for Texas City within the hour to join Judge Dredd."

The silence is gratifying. For the first time in, well, ever, they are impressed. I can't suppress a small grin of triumph. If only I could inspire such respect all the time this Division would run a lot more smoothly and engender a lot more respect.

I nod. "Good. Right. Snyder, I'm putting you in charge until I get back."

She scowls. "Oh, come on – why me?"

I sigh. The respect didn't last long. "Because I...  Look, just do as you're told, okay?"

She puffs out her cheeks and folds her arms, slumping back in her chair like a petulant juve but says nothing.

"Good. Right. I'm going now. You know your jobs so just get on with them while I'm away and be on your best behaviour because with me on this important mission the eyes of the whole of Justice Department will be on you. Don't let me down."

"Oh, sling your hook, Winslow," Snere says under his breath.

My teeth grind but I don't rise to the bait. Once we've found the Judge Child, nobody will ever speak to me like that again...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]