Main Menu

Possible League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series on Fox?

Started by Definitely Not Mister Pops, 10 July, 2013, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

According to the Hollwood reporter:

Fox is going into the Alan Moore business.

The network and its studio counterpart has given a put pilot commitment to an adaptation of Moore and Kevin O'Neill's widely popular graphic novels League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Hollywood Reporter has learned

Knowing Fox, this will be cancelled before its time. Or long after it had outstayed its welcome. Or possibly sometime in between. Who can tell?

You may quote me on that.

Frank

QuoteShowtime, meanwhile, is prepping Penny Dreadful, a monster origin story drama series featuring classic monsters from Dracula like Dr. Frankenstein and more

Huh? Moore claims not to have a telly, so he'll have no trouble avoiding this latest calculated insult to his genius, if it ever sees the light of day.

radiator

Calling it now - will never make it to a full series.

Ghastly McNasty

Someone should make a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. Call it XLG or summit. That would be  awesome  ;)

von Boom

If Fox's involved then any resemblance to Moore's work will be purely coincidental.

JamesC

The first league story seems like a fairly do-able starting point for a TV series using the LOEG premise but I don't think anything further than Volume 2 is really suitable for live action adaptation.

Perhaps they could make a dramatisation of some of the stuff in the Gazeteer - when Mina and Allan find the fountain of youth etc.

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 10 July, 2013, 02:59:56 PM
The first league story seems like a fairly do-able starting point for a TV series using the LOEG premise but I don't think anything further than Volume 2 is really suitable for live action adaptation. Perhaps they could make a dramatisation of some of the stuff in the Gazeteer - when Mina and Allan find the fountain of youth etc.

I'm reading The Black Dossier for the first time right now, and the range of narrative possibilities suggested by that book - both in terms of the range of stories which can be told and the way they're told - would lend itself brilliantly to an on-going TV series. Given the pedigree of those involved in the proposed show, I can't see that being the approach taken.

JamesC

The trouble with the Black Dossier is that it references so much stuff that isn't in the public domain.
I doubt Fox would be able to get away with a Jimmy Bond or the Gerry Anderson Stuff.

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 10 July, 2013, 03:28:52 PM
The trouble with the Black Dossier is that it references so much stuff that isn't in the public domain. I doubt Fox would be able to get away with a Jimmy Bond or the Gerry Anderson Stuff.

Nah, I didn't mean a straight adaptation - more the approach to using so many different fictional modes to convey the sense of an entire world that's made up of stories. You know how even TV shows from the sixties like The Prisoner and Star Trek managed to do a cowboy episode, or how Buffy did a musical show, Moonlighting used the characters to do an adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew ... that kind of range and diversity would be great for a continuing show.

And even across that kind of span of history, history of fiction, history books and history plays, there's still the kind of unfolding series-spanning story arc that executives like to have in there to keep viewers hooked.

sheldipez

It's about time another Moore adaptation was released. It's been a while since Before Watchmen; Moore'll be low on fuel & this shit will energise the old wizard.

Professor Bear

Arguably the makers of Smallville know how to put out a tv show about a shared universe of fictional heroes that bear no resemblance to their print counterparts but which comes in on budget and runs for ten years despite only a tenuous connection to well-known characters, so if the rights to use the LoEG banner isn't a problem, I wouldn't discount this one from going to a pilot/series just yet.
Fox have occasionally made great tv - 24, Bob's Burgers, Simpsons, Futurama, Firefly, Arrested Development, etc, and if they just chucked out something like Ripper Street - which is practically science fiction anyway - I think most would be happy enough.

JOE SOAP

As long as Mr. Hyde gets to sodomise and eat Mr. Griffin, I'll be happy.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 July, 2013, 01:23:33 AM

In the Fox version Mr. Hyde will simply look at him threateningly and firmly resolute to perhaps, someday, maybe have a stern conversation with Mr. Griffin.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 July, 2013, 01:23:33 AM

Who wants to share a room with JOE SOAP at the next fan meet-up?