Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Okay, might be worth a gander then.  Thanks for that.

Tiplodocus

Is Walking Dead Season 8 any good? Or should I just wait a year or two for it to turn up on Amazon? Hard to believe Season 7 was the same programme as Season 4's The Grove.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

So breezed through Season 1 of AGENT CARTER at a very pleasant lick. Cracking stuff with the tone being spot on for mixing drama, suspense, action, comedy and references to topics of the day. Charming leads in Hayley Atwell and James "I'll never play a binman" D'Arcy.

Season Two is moving even more briskly along; it's like ROCKETEER: The TV series.

Tiplodocus

Oh and Dominic Cooper is a hoot!

Theblazeuk

Plowed through Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Some pleasantly dark stuff (both body horror and mundane horror of war and murder), a cool system of magic, awesome fight scenes, and an interesting central concept more than conquered Anime shouting syndrome (mainly from Ed, really). Great series and first anime I've watched all the way through that wasn't a Ghibli movie in a long, long time.

Professor Bear

Binge watched season four of The 100 and it gets a bit silly, and that's by this show's standards.
Luckily, its ridiculousness is by now is a force unto itself to the point I never even noticed the transition from YA dystopian sci-fi to feudalist fantasy happening somewhere in seasons 2 and 3 until it was a done deal, but now it's basically Game Of Thrones if that was made for T4 instead of HBO, complete with Hollyoaks actors, a number of bottle blonde women in tight tank tops that seems somewhat unlikely for a post-apocalyptic Earth, and a cast of characters that are essentially children who fuck at the drop of a hat and stab each other on a regular basis with knives as well as their winky.  You can see the reversals of fortune coming a mile off, but at some point the writers just start taking the piss, with episodes ending with the A story having loads of characters barely escape horrible deaths via some last-minute deal with the devil and then they all but look into the screen and say "I SURE HOPE NOTHING HAPPENS TO THAT THING WE JUST PROMISED TO GIVE TO THAT ARMY OF CANNIBALS" and then it cuts to the B story where aforesaid thing is being smashed with a hammer, shot with arrows, set on fire, or exploded.
Now I am probably making this sound like utter nonsense, but in its defense it absolutely is and there's no point looking for deeper meaning or complex story arcs that play out across the season, as this is brain-dead telly for when you want to turn your head off for an hour, but it rattles along at a good pace and the inevitable race against the clock at the end of the season is well tense, and actually delivers on the early episodes' promise from doom-mongering characters that Something Badder Than Anything We've Seen Beforeā„¢ is on the way: for once, boy is it ever.
If we still lived in a world where people had guilty pleasures - like if we were actually ashamed to be watching cartoons for children about magic ponies despite being grown fucking men - then this would be one of mine, but I genuinely enjoyed this utter, utter hokum far more than I did Star Trek Discovery.

Tjm86

That perfectly sums up my experience with The 100.  Disengage brain and just enjoy.  Each season seems to have one more threat that will wipe all of them out and season 4's was just downright bonkers (wouldn't all of those reactors have been destroyed in the original war?).  As you say, worth a binge watch and better than a lot of garbage that fold are raving about.

Goaty

Godless - wow, that was one of best TV western series in long time, so brutal and enjoyable. Jeff Daniels always brilliant in any of his roles and think this is one of his best roles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 05 March, 2018, 02:13:40 PM
Godless - wow, that was one of best TV western series in long time, so brutal and enjoyable. Jeff Daniels always brilliant in any of his roles and think this is one of his best roles.

Hard to believe it [spoiler]had a largely happy ending, unless you were in any way associated with Blackdom. I was expecting pretty much everyone to die, but I wasn't sorry when they didn't. [/spoiler] Just fabulous stuff.

Goaty

Re-watching first season of Netflix's Jessica Jones. That was really so great! So powerful evil villain! So 2nd season would start tomorrow, don't know how it would better than that!

Tiplodocus

Marvellous Mrs Maisle
Thematically and stylistically about as far as you can get from GODLESS but just as good. A real nice break from cop, law and medical drama, it's chatting the journey of a 50s housewife breaking into stand-up comedy. The dialogue zings, the leads are fantastic And, do I believe my eyes?, Kevin Pollack is actually good in a supporting role.

radiator

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 March, 2018, 08:44:46 PM
Marvellous Mrs Maisle
Thematically and stylistically about as far as you can get from GODLESS but just as good. A real nice break from cop, law and medical drama, it's chatting the journey of a 50s housewife breaking into stand-up comedy. The dialogue zings, the leads are fantastic And, do I believe my eyes?, Kevin Pollack is actually good in a supporting role.

There's a wonderful scene that takes place about half way through the series in which Midge announces her new job at the department store, and her father Abe's resulting reaction of disbelief. It's done in a fairly low-key way, but there's something about that scene, and Abe's increasingly exasperated utterances of 'OK!' as Midge shoots down each and every concern he has (and the perfect comedic timing with which he keeps leaving, then re-entering, the room to voice another) that made us laugh like drains and rewatch the entire scene over again multiple times. It's got to the point now that we often quote his delivery of 'OK!' during everyday conversation.

Tiplodocus

He is brilliant. About the only reason I didn't  call him out is that Tony Shalhoub often is.

DrRocka

Another big +1 for Godless over here, just finished the last episode.
Blimey! Best western since Open Range. Absolutely fantastic. Wanna watch it all over again now, but Jessica Jones season 2 beckons....
Never ever bloody anything ever

Professor Bear

Jessica Jones season 2 - thank fuck that's over, and I say that as someone who has happily sat through every Netflix Marvel show so far, even Iron Fist and The Punisher.  "You have a criticism of Jessica Jones but you did not voice this criticism in relation to another show with a male lead so you must be motivated by sexism" is a common observation I see made in defense of this snooze marathon and I can't be bothered addressing it because if you watch a show where an objectively unlikeable character has a voiceover where they say gritty lines like "whoever said you can have your cake and eat it never had a cake that could kill you" and you think the only criticisms center on the presence or not of one or other set of genitalia, then you're an eedjit and I have even less time for you than I have for this load of turgid, boring, derivative wank.
About the only good thing about the show I can think to say is that I am genuinely uncertain if the lead is a bad actor or not because I can't in good conscience argue that anyone else could have made something out of the one-note wangst of the scripts that often border on parody.

The Last Ship season 4 or was it season 5?  I dunno - the one where Robocop is an evil plant scientist with an imaginary son.  Unusually for something with Michael Bay's name on it, this is utter horseshite, though it does at least remember this season that this show with the word "ship" in the title features a ship, and so has some actual naval warfare in it to break up the monotony of the mandated weekly game of Soldiers that passes for an action scene in most episodes, and to be fair the navel stuff is pretty engagingly staged and performed despite some glaringly obvious CGI.  I am on the fence about the use of coincidence in the scripts, because you are asked to swallow some absolute whoppers across ten episodes, including at least two separate instances of the fate of the world hinging on someone running into somebody they know completely out of the blue, and I'm definately not sure about the plot line about the lady wanting revenge on the captain because his dick sent her crazy.
Complete toss, though not as much of a slog as Jessica Jones was.