Main Menu

Help! Durham Red Empty suns.

Started by marko10174, 12 March, 2017, 05:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I've just purchased "The scarlet cantos" and "the vermain stars" online. I didn't realise these two stories are part of a trilogy, with the empty suns being the third part (or that's what I've been lead to believe). I can't find the empty suns online anywhere! does anyone know where I can get a copy online? or any sites where I can read it online? it'll be pretty frustrating if I own the first two volumes, but don't get to see how the story ends if the empty suns is the final act. Thanks, appreciate it.

IndigoPrime

eBay's probably going to be your best bet. These books have been OOP for ages, and it doesn't look like there's been a digital release yet either. Alternatively, if you can source Progs 1362–1368, and 1382–1386 cheaply, that'd contain the entire run of the last book.

marko10174

Thanks for the reply. There's nothing on ebay, or amazon selling it. I may just have to settle with getting the progs. So is empty suns the last part of a trilogy? or do each book tell a different story.

EDazzling

I got the first two in November, set up an Ebay alert for the Empty Suns. Stupidly let one buy-it-now for below cover price pass in early December, and then had to wait until late January for the next one.

And yeah, I couldn't find a single one in any other online retailer. Set an alert and wait, patiently.

EDIT: And they're very definitely a Trilogy. Although Book 2 ends on a great note that could easily have been a (downer) ending if they never came back, so it worked really well to get to that point and have to wait a few months for the conclusion

Mute77

The Durham Red trilogy of books are up there with my all time 2000ad series, book 2 being my favourite. Book 3 has some amazing exras at the back if you do find a copy.

marko10174

I've set up an email alert, thanks for the advice. I've just ordered the previous two today, but I may get impatient and end up just buying the progs they were issued in.

IndigoPrime

To answer your query, yes it's the end of the trilogy. That version of Durham Red ends with that story.

Steve Green

There's also the scarlet apocrypha, which was published between parts 2 and 3 - but I don't think it's been collected and it's not connected to the scarlet cantos/vermin stars/empty suns story.

Dark Jimbo

Empty Suns is the best book of the lot as it includes all the Scarlet Apocrypha stories...! Really wish they'd give these a reprint - although hopefully the stories will appear in the new partwork.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Ah, cheers - yeah I've had no luck tracking down the third book either.

EDazzling

Quote from: Mute77 on 12 March, 2017, 06:30:40 PM
Book 3 has some amazing exras at the back if you do find a copy.

Harrison's essay is certainly... entertaining
https://twitter.com/James_Baker/status/835843197377052673

marko10174

Well all on the progs containing empty suns are on ebay at a reasonable price, with the exception of prog 1384. I don't know if this was a collectors issue or something, it' currently unavailable on amazon, and is going for over forty pound on ebay. Bloody typical! the issue has Shaun of the dead on the front.

EDazzling

marko10174

Good man! I've just purchased it. I don't know why I never thought to check on here. I should now be able to pick up the rest of the progs that feature empty suns for a reasonable price. Thanks man!