Main Menu

Wax on-topic, wax off-topic

Started by Trout, 10 February, 2005, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanky

Tanky's common sense guidelines for a happy message board

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
If you don't like it, don't post on it.
If a message board is causing you stress, think yourself lucky that you have nothing better to worry about.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all (except the Trout, obviously. And possibly Eyebrows)

The internet is arguably the only remaining medium through which total freedom of speech can now happen. You *really* want to start censoring each other?

Defending the off topic thread, as always,
Tanky x

Matt Timson

Ah... I see Si has saved me the bother...

;)
Pffft...

Trout

For fuck's sake.

I only asked, you pack of argumentative, childish lunatics.

Fuck this. I'm off.

Jared Katooie

Wils

I see Si has saved me the bother

Rather frustratingly, he's said pretty much everything I would've said too, although I'm still laughing about how anyone can possibly say that their opinion is worth more than everyone elses who posts here. Hahahaha. *Mental*.

Also, how anyone can supposedly post whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't involve anything the 'look at me!' brigade+ doesn't like (like someone possibly saying they *don't* like the board being *flooded* by completely inane bollocks or the rejects from Clare Rayner and 'Our Tune'). Again, we had that kind of bollocks with all the BB stuff.

Off-topicness is *great*, and is *completely* different to the whoring for attention and jumping-up-and-down-with-a-flag ones. Most of my postings are actually to the off topic ones, so I'm not likely to be against them, am I? This *is* sort of like chatting in a pub, and likewise is *not* the place where the  socially or emotionally retarded should seek therapy.

+ Yes, that definitely includes you, Noah. Your reaction to all of this cements your place in it.

Trout

Hmmm. I felt that just abandoning ship would be of no benefit to anyone, so wanted to add a comment.

This wasn't a deliberate atttempt to cause strife. I just thought it might be an idea, as the off-topic stuff was breeding rapidly and I couldn't be bothered with the board so much.

I take the point on not reading it - I've made the same point myself in the past - and may just find something better to do with my time eventually.

- Trout

Wils

Truely, the Trout *is* evil (even when he's not trying to be). ;)

Krustabi

Can I just apologise for my part in previous look-at-me-ness.

Oh wait, I'm still doing it.

B'DUM TSH!!!;)

Noah Angel

Righty ho, I'll reply to the points raised individualy rather than on one post, mainly cos I can't be arsed to cut & paste and they'll be shorter.

First up shazhuges. Sorry if that remark about being 'more qualified' came across as arrogant. It wasn't supposed to but that's the problem with replying to posts when you feel you have to defend your viewpoint. You can end up seeming a tad stroppy ;)

I was, as I said trying to get across the fact that as a casual visitor I don't really take sides over the board divisions but I do believe in the rights of anyone to post what they feel is relevant in their lives at the time, whether it's crap or not. It's like TV. You don't need to look at these posts if you dont want to, so it shouldn't really be a major cause for debate. It's that simple.

Noah

Noah Angel

On to Si. As Oddboy pointed out the reference to Trout was due to the fact that he was responsible for starting this thread, no doubt aware that it would, as usual end up a heated debate or a slanging match. Very evil, but a total genius when it comes to these type of threads ;)

From the posts I read I assumed that there was a general lumping together of "look at me", "whoring for sympathy" and off-topicness. If that's not the case then I apologise for misreading the situation. Although being a writer you will understand just how easy it is to misconstrue posts at times.

On the subject of the 'look at me posts', well I can understand what you are saying about some of them luring unsuspecting boarders in, but does that mean that you have to linger or return? If I go to the library and choose a book I'm not under any obligation to finish reading it if I don't want to. The same should apply to these type of posts. Let the peole who want to respond to them do so and if you want to avoid them like the plague once you know what they are.

Finally, you probably have a point, at least to a degree, about the socially inept hindering themselves rather than helping by going on sites like this. But then again, even if they get off to a bad start, at least they are connecting and developing their social skills. You can't move mountains overnight so obviously sometimes the change isn't instantly noticable. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who could come up with a number of boarders, who played the 'look at me card' and for want of a better term started of as irritating twats. But if you look at them now they've settled in nicely. That, to some extent is why I don't really have a major problem when I see similar posts.

Noah.

Noah Angel

Finally Wils. As I said in an earlier reply, and I admitted it unfortunately came across as rather arrogant, I was trying to point out that I'm neutral when it comes to board divisions so I'm between both sides of the arguement. I do however believe that everyone here has the right to post (obviously within certain moral boundaries) what they like. Again you are more than capable of ignoring it, but by not doing so you merely add fuel to the fire.

I don't actually get what you are trying to say with your comments about what the 'look at me brigade' doesn't like. I thought the issue was more about the boards being used exclusively for 2000ad related topics. Or am I missing some major point?

As to pubs not being the place where the socially or emotionally retarded should seek therapy, that wasn't what I was saying and I suspect by the tone and replies of your posts that you are seeking an argument rather than a debate. Also, considering the number of people who disguise their social problems with alcohol, closet especially, who do see pubs and booze as their "therapy" you may just have to accept that there are people in the world who are different to you and may view you as equally irritating as you view them. Like what you like, ignore what you don't.

Noah.

Noah Angel

A few last words from myself to you all before I dissapear for ages again...

I'm not a troll, a Scojo, a Cairns, 2K writer stirring up things or any other boarder under alias. I visit here and post only in the still moments of my life, or when I get the need to hop on a post that entertains or stimulates me. I don't feel the need to become involved in everything because I don't feel any obligation to have an opinion on everything. If I've offended anyone, it wasn't intentional (you'd know about it if it was) so get over it ;) Finally, try not to take this site or life too seriously because you'll just end up neurotic.

Whenever next.

Noah.

Matt Timson

Pffft...

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, but your also not Nuetral in this Noah, whatever you say, you've taken a side and are arguing for it. So there's just as much bias there as there is anywhere else on this crazy mixed up little board of ours, heppdaddyo.

Devons Daddy

shocking as i find this to myself.

i am honestly a bit tired of the level off topic we are now experiencing. im i am amongst  the highest users of the board . and normally i dont make the differnce between the on and off topics,
but it is getting to much of late.
i am for one going to try not to post an off topic thread, and as much as i can only post on off topic ones selectively and sparingly.

if we all make an effort im sure we can restore balance once again.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!