Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

One of the builders of modern music and from what you hear life lived with adventure and inspiration from Judge Dredd plague.What a life - thanks Little Richard.

sheridan

Jerry Stiller, 92, actor (and father of Ben Stiller).

von Boom

That's a shame about Jerry Stiller. I found him quite funny in a few things. RIP.

Colin YNWA

Martin Pasko. Very underrated writer and the chap who did a really nice run on Swamp Thing, before that run on Swamp Thing. He wrote much more besides but this excellent run is the one I will remember him for.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marty-pasko-writer-on-superman-doctor-fate-and-roseanne-dies-at-65/

rogue69

Phil May,aged  75. the lead singer with The Pretty Things,
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/phil-may-pretty-things-frontman-death-cause-tributes-a9518071.html

Astrid Kirchherr aged 81 best known for her photographs of the Beatles
www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/beatles-photographer-astrid-kirchherr-dies-aged-81/ar-BB1495va?li=BBoPJKU&ocid=U452DHP

rogue69

Fred Willard aged 86, best known for Anchorman, This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/16/fred-willard-best-in-show-this-is-spinal-tap-dies-aged-86

Colin YNWA

Quote from: rogue69 on 16 May, 2020, 10:41:16 PM
Fred Willard aged 86, best known for Anchorman, This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/16/fred-willard-best-in-show-this-is-spinal-tap-dies-aged-86

Oh man he is so brilliant in those Christopher Guest films - such a great comedian.

shaolin_monkey

Charles Lippincott.

Some of us will have had the pleasure of sharing the last few years of Charles's life with him on Facebook.

He is the man behind the first Judge Dredd film, so deserves the highest accolade we can bestow upon him.

He was tormented for years by the lack of the film's success, and by how it veered so far from his vision of bringing our beloved comic character to the big screen. However, in the last few years he put that to rest, thanks to our warmth and consideration towards him and his film, and poring over the many photos, pieces of art, and other Judge Dredd related goodies he showed us.

Then, of course, was the realisation that ever single original Star Wars toy we ever owned in the 70's was probably signed off by him. He was also behind the iconic design of the Star Wars soundtrack album. Charles was the marketing man that changed how films were marketed forever, thanks to his incredible work on Star Wars.

I could go on - Flash Gordon, Alien etc etc.

But I think some of us were lucky enough to get past being a fan, and see the human who was Charles. He cared for people, for the society he lived in, and was clearly of a liberal persuasion. He watched with horror at the rise of Trump and what was happening to his country. He was absolutely aghast as he recently watched the death toll in his country rise, due to its mismanagement by the current administration. He shared that with those of us in the U.K. He felt these things so keenly, and it came across in his writing.

What also came across to us was his warmth. The more he shared his life's work, the more we engaged, and the more he enjoyed it and engaged back. Discussing life, the universe, and everything with him was great, and he shared his projects with us. Some of us were lucky enough to play a part in his projects, and receive stills from Alien for our help. Charles shared, and shared, and shared.

Many of us shared individual interactions with him. I certainly did. I considered him a friend. I am so very sad he has gone, and I will miss him very much.

Raising a glass to you tonight Charles. Goodbye my friend.

Batman's Superior Cousin

His last moments and Cause of Death here.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

paddykafka

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing, Shaolin. RIP Charles. I shall raise a glass in your honour also.

And below, a link to the passing of another inspirational figure, Annie Glenn. RIP Annie.

https://www.space.com/annie-glenn-dies-of-covid-19-at-100-obituary.html?utm_source=notification

Daveycandlish

Beautifully put, Shaolin.
It was a punch in the gut to read of his death this morning.
He was involved in some of the biggest hitters and my favourite sci-fi movies and I'll miss his posts and interactions.
RiP  Charley.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Beautifully put and dreadfully saddening. RIP indeed.

TordelBack

Lovely words, Shaolin, thanks.  Many of us owe Charles Lippincott a great deal. RIP.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sadly following on from Lippincott, come the news of the passing of Ken 'Pink Shorts Boom Guy' Nightingall, the boom operator who worked on the set of A New Hope.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-pink-shorts-boom-guy-ken-nightingall-dies/
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Dandontdare