66 (vol 64): Missionary Man
Salvation at the Last Chance Saloon
A Town Called Intolerance
Bad Moon Rising
The Promised Land
Place of the Dead
covers
interview with Frank Quitely

I've not read the other Missionary Man books yet, but I'm assuming here we're in for another Anderson/Shimura-style flicking back and forth between several books to read things in chronological order. (This volume appears to the the series bookends.)

My copy also came with a free scratch across the back! *sigh*

67 (vol 54): Insurrection
Insurrection
Insurrection II
Insurrection III
covers
interview with Dan Abnett
two pages of sketches

EDazzling

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 July, 2017, 10:32:36 AM
flicking back and forth between several books to read things in chronological order

Correct!

I just put together this reading list for when I go thru them properly. (sourced from wikipedia and Barney, there might be some errors?)

Salvation at the Last Chance Saloon - Volume 1
A Town Called Intolerance - Volume 1
Legend of the Unholy Drinker - Volume 2
Bad Moon Rising - Volume 1
Season of the Witch - Volume 2
Sanctuary - Volume 2
Judge Dredd: True Grit - Volume 3
The Undertaker Cometh - Volume 2
Treasure of the Sierra Murder - Volume 2
Medicine Show - Volume 2
Nightriders - Volume 2
Mississippi Burning - Volume 2
Harke & Burr: Satanic Farces - N/A
Crusader - Volume 2
The Big Sleazy - Volume 2
Night of the Hunter - Volume 2
Mortal Combat - N/A
Juggernaut - Volume 2
The Shootist - Volume 2
Storm Warnings - Volume 2
Prologue - Volume 3
Mardi Gras - Volume 3
Goin' South - Volume 3
Apocrypha   - Volume 3
The Promised Land - Volume 1
Mark of the Beast - Volume 3
Silence - N/A
Place of the Dead - Volume 1

(With N/A meaning they skipped it, which is acceptable in the case of the Harke & Burr crossover I guess...)

EDazzling

Or, a much simpler reading list for those less mental:

Vol 1: Salvation at the Last Chance Saloon – A Town Called Intolerance
Vol 2: Legend of the Unholy Drinker
Vol 1: Bad Moon Rising
Vol 2 Season of the Witch – Sanctuary
Vol 3: Judge Dredd: True Grit
Vol 2: The Undertaker Cometh – END
Vol 3: Prologue – Apocrypha
Vol 1: The Promised Land
Vol 3: Mark of the Beast – END
Vol 1: Place of the Dead – END

Tomwe

Quote from: EDazzling on 17 July, 2017, 11:15:29 AM
Or, a much simpler reading list for those less mental:

Vol 1: Salvation at the Last Chance Saloon – A Town Called Intolerance
Vol 2: Legend of the Unholy Drinker
Vol 1: Bad Moon Rising
Vol 2 Season of the Witch – Sanctuary
Vol 3: Judge Dredd: True Grit
Vol 2: The Undertaker Cometh – END
Vol 3: Prologue – Apocrypha
Vol 1: The Promised Land
Vol 3: Mark of the Beast – END
Vol 1: Place of the Dead – END

IndigoPrime

Mm. This has been one of the (few) things I've disliked about the collection. I get the idea of running things in a thematic way, and perhaps page counts limited what could be done. But if you're basically reprinting everything, it's weird when stuff's so out of sequence. In Anderson, you miss a massive chunk of her narrative journey, and the impact of Dredd's response in Satan is hugely lessened when you don't know what led up to it. And Shimura is almost incomprehensible out of order. Oh well, I suppose there are the normal trades in many cases, or the original Progs and Megs knocking around. 

GordonR

Quote from: EDazzling on 17 July, 2017, 11:04:47 AM
flicking back and forth between several books to read things in chronological order

Correct!

I just put together this reading list for when I go thru them properly. (sourced from wikipedia and Barney, there might be some errors?)

Salvation at the Last Chance Saloon - Volume 1
A Town Called Intolerance - Volume 1
Legend of the Unholy Drinker - Volume 2
Bad Moon Rising - Volume 1
Season of the Witch - Volume 2
Sanctuary - Volume 2
Judge Dredd: True Grit - Volume 3
The Undertaker Cometh - Volume 2
Treasure of the Sierra Murder - Volume 2
Medicine Show - Volume 2
Nightriders - Volume 2
Mississippi Burning - Volume 2
Harke & Burr: Satanic Farces - N/A
Crusader - Volume 2
The Big Sleazy - Volume 2
Night of the Hunter - Volume 2
Mortal Combat - N/A
Juggernaut - Volume 2
The Shootist - Volume 2
Storm Warnings - Volume 2
Prologue - Volume 3
Mardi Gras - Volume 3
Goin' South - Volume 3
Apocrypha   - Volume 3
The Promised Land - Volume 1
Mark of the Beast - Volume 3
Silence - N/A
Place of the Dead - Volume 1

(With N/A meaning they skipped it, which is acceptable in the case of the Harke & Burr crossover I guess...)

Legend of the Unholy Drinker is in the wrong place.

Also, you should just skip Salvation At The Last Chance Saloon, A Town Called Intolerance and Bad Moon Rising, because they're all terrible and I'm heartily fed up of seeing them reprinted.

IndigoPrime

So is the big scratch mark across my copy a desperate attempt by you to slice those pages out of every copy before it reached readers? (As for those episodes being in there, I can see how that must be frustrating as a writer; still, it'd be weird to omit them from what's an almost full run. And I'd sooner read those again than, say, Red sodding Razors.)

EDazzling

Quote from: GordonR on 17 July, 2017, 12:27:46 PM
Legend of the Unholy Drinker is in the wrong place.

Also, you should just skip Salvation At The Last Chance Saloon, A Town Called Intolerance and Bad Moon Rising, because they're all terrible and I'm heartily fed up of seeing them reprinted.

Frank Quitely is my fav, so I can't do that I'm afraid. I might just look at the pictures, out of respect.

Bolt-01

Ooh, the insurrection volume is a complete collection! Nice one Tharg!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 July, 2017, 11:57:48 AM
Mm. This has been one of the (few) things I've disliked about the collection. I get the idea of running things in a thematic way, and perhaps page counts limited what could be done. But if you're basically reprinting everything, it's weird when stuff's so out of sequence.

It's mental. I was really excited about having the whole of MM reprinted at last - but I'm hobestly not sure I'll bother with these volumes now.

As for Shimura - it's pretty incomprehensible even in the right order!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

My copy also came with a free scratch across the back! *sigh*

My two arrived in perfect condition...As always :)

IndigoPrime

I really do appear to have the worst luck with this collection. Corner dings are now a lot rarer, with the new packaging, but it looks like someone's gone at Missionary Man with a compass needle. I blame Gordon.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 July, 2017, 05:08:14 PM
I really do appear to have the worst luck with this collection. Corner dings are now a lot rarer, with the new packaging, but it looks like someone's gone at Missionary Man with a compass needle. I blame Gordon.

Ah the old 'limited edition Rennie bookplate edition', each bile-filled gouge in the spine a unique reflection of the growth of the writer's craft.

Robes

As much as I've enjoyed this series, without a doubt the most disappointing thing has been receiving the individual series out of sequence with the stories even being out of sequence in the books.  It boggles my mind how a collectors edition can be so bizarrely put together.  I know the party line is that the stories can be read and enjoyed in the order they're sent out but they can be read and enjoyed about 1000% more if they are read in the right order.

I really hope they don't make the same mistake for the 2000ad series because it's an absolute head scratcher.

IndigoPrime

Yep. I suspect it's a commercial decision. Sell subscribers part 2 of 3, and they'll stick it out to get 1 and 3. But it's also user-hostile. I don't mind waiting a year for the second part of something where I already have the first, but don't sell arcs out of order. It's just ridiculous with something like Tour of Duty.