Main Menu

Rebellion To Reprint The Last American

Started by JOE SOAP, 16 November, 2016, 12:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

From memory the series finishes with an 'open' premise; maybe there was hope for a sequel?

CalHab

I remember a UK monthly reprinted episodes of The Last American in the early 90s alongside some other material (Nightbreed?). Does anyone remember which one that was?

Spikes

Quote from: Spikes on 03 September, 2016, 06:40:48 PM
Slightly off track here, so apologies, but it would be nice if Rebellion - and seeing as they are in the mood - could also snag The Last American....

See, Tharg does indeed listen to the humble squaxx. If you ask him nicely, you may very well get a Big Dave collection, and a conclusion to Dan Dare,  ;)

But joshing aside, this is rather marvellous news.
The most 2000ad of all non-2000ad tales finally comes home.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Of course, I own the (much read, and much loved) floppies, but to have a decent collection of this tale is a must.

A hardback release, with a new cover by McMahon, would be aces. Maybe some interview material with Mr Wagner would also be grand.

Quote from: Mute77 on 16 November, 2016, 10:42:17 AM
I thought the story finished as it was. I thought it ended very well..is it unfinished?

I seem to recall, that the original tale was to run a lot longer, but in the end, it lasted only four issues.

And a few years ago, John Wagner spoke of a desire to maybe return to the character....

Personally, I think it works perfectly as it is, so continuing the tale is not something I'm desperate to see, tbh.

Just a thought; The original tale really benefited from the increased page count that comes with working in the US format of comics, I wonder how it would work in the Prog, or the Meg?

Trout

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 November, 2016, 02:09:42 PM
From memory the series finishes with an 'open' premise; maybe there was hope for a sequel?

Yes. It's completely amazing but far too short.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CalHab on 16 November, 2016, 03:04:17 PM
I remember a UK monthly reprinted episodes of The Last American in the early 90s alongside some other material (Nightbreed?). Does anyone remember which one that was?

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2016, 10:02:20 AM
I own the singles. HC would tempt me. A real pity Scarlet Traces is PB. No point in moving from my excellent Dark Horse hardbacks.

Ditto.  A real shame on that score.  If any Rebellion lurkers are paying attention then please please please please please give it the luxury treatment.  It deserves it.  As do it's creators.

Mute77

Yeah same here..my dark horse hardcovers are ace with nice extras at the back. Only a Scarlet Traces hc would tempt me to double dip..

CalHab

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 November, 2016, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 16 November, 2016, 03:04:17 PM

Thanks. I was starting to worry that I'd imagined it.

Colin YNWA

Christ 'Meltdown' christ I remember that now. I didn't get it as I had almost all the stories in it but remember thinking it was a bloody good package of you didn't have the stuff in there.

maryanddavid

I have a few of them somewhere, how long were they expecting it to last with the inclusion of Akira :D

Fungus

Mute77

I started reading the com.x paperback of Last American and there seemed to be a few pages in the wrong order at the end of the second issue. Having checked this with the comixology version  there are indeed 3 or 4 pages mixed up so now i'm really looking forward to Rebellions edition!

Tony Angelino

I have the original 4 issue series from Epic Comics somewhere. It was good but I'm not sure I would buy a reprint.

I seem to remember one of the issues was a 'singing' issue. Wagner and Grant did other stories like this such as in Robo-Hunter. It felt a bit like padding in a 4 issue series. Now its been many years since I last read it so I could be wrong or it may not have taken up the whole issue but it left me with the impression that the series started well but fizzled out.

No complaints about the art though.

Hopefully a reprint of The Bogie Man by Wagner, Grant and Robin Smith is on the cards. The original 4 issues of that from Fat Man Press were very funny and I think would go down well.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 18 November, 2016, 05:39:54 PM
I seem to remember one of the issues was a 'singing' issue. Wagner and Grant did other stories like this such as in Robo-Hunter. It felt a bit like padding in a 4 issue series. Now its been many years since I last read it so I could be wrong or it may not have taken up the whole issue but it left me with the impression that the series started well but fizzled out.
Yep. I only read it for the first time a year or so ago when it appeared on Comixology and the singing issue did my head in and badly affected the flow of the series.

NB I also detest the singing Robo Hunter story.
We never really die.

Spikes

I always thought this was one of their little partnership trademarks/gimmicks. And I kinda liked it, tbh, whenever and wherever it popped up.

'Apocalypso!, Apocalypso! The bombs they come to fry our fat! Apocalypso! Apocalypso! The population goin'.......