Main Menu

Charley's war omnibus?

Started by Apestrife, 21 August, 2017, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

got the omnibus in the fp sale. does anyone know the next book to get storywise (since i understand this is to be the only omnibus)? thanks.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 02 September, 2017, 09:44:27 PM
got the omnibus in the fp sale. does anyone know the next book to get storywise (since i understand this is to be the only omnibus)? thanks.

Just read the thread, Apestrife  got ya covered. He says at the start all of the first 3 volume and into the 4th. So sounds like you need to buy from volume 4 but will have some overlap.

Bazooka Joe

I bought the omnibus after buying the 10 hardbacks. It's well worth picking up as it has new scans from original artwork which is an absolute treat. i wish the would do another.

13school

Quote from: Bazooka Joe on 03 September, 2017, 01:48:40 PM
I bought the omnibus after buying the 10 hardbacks. It's well worth picking up as it has new scans from original artwork which is an absolute treat. i wish the would do another.

Thanks for that - I was wondering if they'd done new scans, as I think one of the early HCs had some very dodgy reproduction that I was a bit disappointed in and supposedly the later French editions have better scans.

Apestrife

Finished reading the omnibus today. Some really really good story telling. Splendidly written, fantastically drawn. Very character driven. Really like how easily it moved between everyday stuff and very intense warfare. The scene where the [spoiler]hun has them trapped, with one forced out every 30 seconds while Charley is digging himself out [/spoiler] was especially intense. And that wasn't the only time I felt really sorry for those involved in the war, and often on both sides.

I think the omnibus could'v ended a bit earlier, with the [spoiler]graveyard scene with the bit on the Somme wiping out Brittian's finest[/spoiler]. I wasn't always the fan the way it was told in either. With the weekly format. Could'v helped if I read it in shorter chunks I suppose.

Regardless. Very easy to recommend. I'm very much hoping this omnibus will be followed by another two.

Also. Any word on if Charley's war been considered for an adaption? Tv or silver screen.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 September, 2017, 09:09:25 PM
Also. Any word on if Charley's war been considered for an adaption? Tv or silver screen.

Would it really work though. Part of Charley's War's genius is the juxtaposition between the boys own, short snappy action packed story telling and the hard bitten biting commentry. The fact that its a seventy's kids comic is the only thing that allows that to work. Any modern, or even latter day conversion to a filmed medium would have been or would be, so riddled with change and  compromise to make 'it work for screen' as to remove the very unique things that make it work as a story.

Add to that one of the other key things that make it work so well, Joe Colquhoun's panels perfecting capturing so much horror and humanity, freezing the moments so exquistity for close examination, while keeping everything so energetic and kinetic provide another thing that make Charley's War being a comic mean it would only work as a comic.

That's not to say it couldn't be a good movie, but its couldn't work with the charm, intensity and same horror of the comic as it stands. Any movie would merely serve as a lacklustre trailer for the 'real' thing.

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 September, 2017, 09:50:31 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 09 September, 2017, 09:09:25 PM

Would it really work though. Part of Charley's War's genius is the juxtaposition between the boys own, short snappy action packed story telling and the hard bitten biting commentry. The fact that its a seventy's kids comic is the only thing that allows that to work. Any modern, or even latter day conversion to a filmed medium would have been or would be, so riddled with change and  compromise to make 'it work for screen' as to remove the very unique things that make it work as a story.

Add to that one of the other key things that make it work so well, Joe Colquhoun's panels perfecting capturing so much horror and humanity, freezing the moments so exquistity for close examination, while keeping everything so energetic and kinetic provide another thing that make Charley's War being a comic mean it would only work as a comic.

That's not to say it couldn't be a good movie, but its couldn't work with the charm, intensity and same horror of the comic as it stands. Any movie would merely serve as a lacklustre trailer for the 'real' thing.

I fully agree. But I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet probably could'v done a good job. If he where attached to such a film.

I was just wondering, in a good way: since it's such a well told story :) Thought someone might would'v wanted a crack at it.