Main Menu

The coolest image ever........

Started by cableface, 16 October, 2001, 04:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cableface

Okay, I'm just wondering, what do you think is the coolest looking picture there has ever been in the hallowed pages of 2000ad? My own vote goes for the prog where Nikolai Dante is bonded with the weapons crest. Particularly that pic of him screaming in pain, and the lines in the background are formed into an image of Dimitri (who I doubt is really dead after the end of the Romanov Empire.anyone else notice how his weapons crest seemed to disappear?and that look in Arkady's eyes.....but I digress) I think that pic summed up very cooly who Dimitri is; The guy in the background, who is always in control. And in case you were wondering, this message was prompted by a few hours recently spent sitting up in my attic reading some of my old collection.And THAT pic just caught my eye again.

Dominic O'Rourke

without looking (and one hand tied behind my back) and I'm not sure if this is a tribal memory or it exists, but chopper going through some sort of piston press death trap thingy in the last supersurf

Member No. 10

W. R. Logan

Tough choice but I cant narrow it down from two images that are very predictable Dredd ones.

Block Mania - "I'm with Rowdy Yates Block who you fighting with"

Judge Death Lives where Dredd put his fist straight through Fears face.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79

The Love Doctor

Has to be that image in the Dredd story Fetish where the voodoo chap sees Dredds spirit, that of a blardy huge flamin eagle behind the Improbably Chinned One himself. Well thats the onyl one that springs to mind. I'm sure there are trillions more, far better than that, but i like Sikus art anyway so i'm biased.

mark xiii

Several spring to mind for this...

Judgement on Gotham - The two 'fear' panels: Batman with a hazy view of all his previous bad-guy foes and Death surrounded by fluffy bunny rabbits and cute bears.

Song Of The Surfer - The end obviously, and the scene where Mr. Shakespere gets shot to buggery coming out of a tunnel. Oh, and the cover for Prog 665, his expression says it all. OK, the whole series is one big cool image!

The cover (dont ask me the prog no.) with Slaine and the Nun - Classic!

More recently... Our fave gun-sharks standing over the body of Demi. S.B. Davis should return to the pages of 2000ad and stop working for the Yanks.

The award for ultimate cool image goes to the private commission of Nemesis (cant for the life of me remember who did it) shown at the V&A exhibition recently - Dark as hell itself.

Matt

How about Slaines first warp spasm in The Horned God. The final fullpage panel of The Deadman holding up Dredds badge. The final page in Song of the Surfer (Chopper really should have died there instead of coming back to that awful Earth, Wind & Fire series), Bollands Judge Fish & Russian "I am the Law" covers for the Eagle Dredd reprints. The iconic Dredd Badge with bleeding bullet hole cover from  The Apocalypse War. McMahons Cursed Earth Cover. And the ultimate Gaze into the Fist of Dredd.

W. R. Logan

>The award for ultimate cool image goes to the private commission of Nemesis (cant for the life of me remember who did it) shown at the V&A exhibition recently - Dark as hell itself.<

The artwork at the V&A is on loan from the private collection of Rufus Dayglo, if its his Nemesis pic thats there then its probably by:
JOHN HICKLETON

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Dominic O'Rourke

thanks to mr dayglo I can now feel superior about comics yet again, just like the 1980's
Member No. 10

strontydogg

I had a good think about your coolest image ever enquiry and came up with this. The double spread scene in Die Laughing where the 'five' dark judges are tearing everybody apart is a definate candidate for this honour. It;s not often that such a disturbing picture is drawn in that much detail. Keep asking ridiculously impossible questions and we'll all try to answer them. Before you ask though, the best story ever is Lucy, it's amazingly disturbing. Cheerio.

DrRocka

Kick it hard between the legs, Bell, me old son.
(Not mentioning you've only ever made two posts, both asking the same thing)
Never ever bloody anything ever

WhizzBang

This one. In the coffee table book of Dredd covers, a 2000AD art droid says about this cover 'there is nothinhg about this image that isn't perfect'

Apestrife

There are many, but I often come back to this one. For me there's a certain eerieness to everything about it. Everything from the words in the captions to how casual Dredd seems putting his boot on someone bleeding out on the steps with the statue of justice towering over the scene.

broodblik

That is one awesome image. I just miss Colin's painted work these days.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

19 years - that's serious necroposting, most likely by a spambot (asking how to disable an avatar it doesn't even have).  One of the original posters on this thread isn't even with us any more, sadly.

But since we're here - I've just re-read the Horned God for the millionth time, and while it's fresh in my mind, it's got to be the build-up to the almighty battle in Book 3.

I may change my mind when I re-read more old stuff; that America image is pretty freaking brilliant too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"