Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 January, 2018, 10:53:54 AM
I suppose with the spine, they've not really got any choice. It's one thing to have the wrong end papers, or erroneous text on the back of a book (which has happened twice in the Dredd run; dear all designers, do NOT copy/paste from previous documents – start from blank boilerplates!), but when a selling feature is spine art, you cannot cock it up.

That said, I'd have more happily had no spine art for these, and the titles on the spines. Perhaps that would have resulted in more people cherry picking. Hard to tell. Actually, on that, is there anyone here would would NOT have subscribed/bought every issue if it wasn't for the spine art?

I couldn't care less about the spine art - it's all about the content for me. I'd prefer the titles to be on the spines as it's easier to pick what you want to read.

abelardsnazz

The spine art is a bonus, but the content's the thing for me. If it had been titles on the spines I could happily have skipped a few issues of the Dredd collection.

Fungus

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 03 January, 2018, 02:13:50 PM
The spine art is a bonus, but the content's the thing for me. If it had been titles on the spines I could happily have skipped a few issues of the Dredd collection.

So... you buy books you don't care about because of the spine, while not caring about the spine...?  :crazy:

I don't only care little about the spine, but find it a ruthless get-the-completists marketing ploy. With the minor annoyance - 'cos who cares that much really? - that they've persevered with leaving book titles off the spine.

That's better.

levers

Uh oh! I fear the launch of the Batman and Hornby collections, may have knocked the 2000ad Collection off the news stands. Checked two places that usually have it and nothing!

Hoping it's just a post Xmas/New Year delay!

Tomwe

That Batman collection would be very tempting were I not already into the 2000AD, Dredd and TF Partworks. Maybe should join in once the 10 issue extension is done.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Fungus on 03 January, 2018, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 03 January, 2018, 02:13:50 PM

So... you buy books you don't care about because of the spine, while not caring about the spine...?  :crazy:

I don't only care little about the spine, but find it a ruthless get-the-completists marketing ploy. With the minor annoyance - 'cos who cares that much really? - that they've persevered with leaving book titles off the spine.

That's better.

Ha ha yes. I guess I'm a completist because I want an uninterrupted spine image, so have fallen for that marketing ploy, and have volumes like Red Razors and The World at Law sitting on the shelf that I'm unlikely to read again. I guess the 2000AD collection will have a more consistent quality because of its collection of all of some series and the best of others.

EDazzling

For the Mega-Collection, I home-made little dustjackets from sheets of A4 that are enough to cover the spine, printing out labels with the volume contents on. More functional than trying to remember which volume number means what, and means I'm not going to get 30-something volumes I don't want just to finish the spine image. Because I would do that. That is absolutely something I would do.

Tomwe

Tomwe

On the issue of which volume is misprinted, the FB mods have replied with the following:
QuoteWe can confirm that volume 19 is correct, it's just the angle on the website.
Hope this helps!
To which I said we will know shortly which is wrong as volume 21 is not far away.

Mattofthespurs

I have to admit that I'm not bothered by the spine too much, and mine looks fine to be honest.
I imagine that they cost of reprinting will be taken by the printers and not Hachette, unless they own the printers but I thin that's unlikely.
Never had a problem with Eaglemoss it has to be said, apart from issues going missing, probably due to some light fingered employee of the Royal Mail, but issues that have gone missing have been quickly replaced and sent via Yodel or another courier. And their customer service is based in the UK which makes talking to them a lot less painful.
Hachette are decent but Eaglemoss are far superior. Although they are both better than De Agostini.

abelardsnazz

Return of the King is a great Dredd 101 volume, and the title story didn't stick out as much as I thought it might, it just made me want to go back and read Necropolis again, which was perhaps the idea. Top stuff.

It's already been confirmed that Dark Justice will be one of the other 2 Dredd volumes, any thoughts on the other?

Richard

Which stories are in that Ezquerra volume?

Richard

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Oh that page is useful. I can get the release date of the Dante issues from that. Damn I'm excited about the Dante releases and the rest looks lovely for those who want it.