Main Menu

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 September, 2019, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Saw it last night.  I'd put it in the same category as Django Unchained - fairly entertaining, nothing special though, and with an obligatory [spoiler]bloodbath at the end[/spoiler]; though admittedly not the one history had led me to expect.

The most fun to be had for me was seeing how new actors played old actors ; even though most of them were before my time. Steve McQueen was fairly spot on, appearance wise at least, as was good old Charlie Manson. Would have liked to see a bit more of both.

That said, Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio have of course long since transcended their old pretty boy statuses and have become Hollywood legends. Top performances from both.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Keef Monkey

Yeah, Pitt and Dicaprio are fantastic in it, to the point that I could have happily watched another few hours of them just pottering around on film sets instead of getting involved in any sort of plot. I came out of the film a bit unsure how I felt about it ([spoiler]I really did think the plot was a bit intrusive to what I was enjoying most about the film, to the point where I saw all the Manson stuff as a bit of a distracting diversion before it took priority quite suddenly, which I found jarring)[/spoiler] but now that I've had a few weeks to really digest it I'm ready for another watch and pretty certain I'll enjoy it even more on subsequent viewings.

I usually love Tarantino movies wholeheartedly on a first watch so this is a bit of an exception in that I'm having to chew it over for a bit and go back, but past experience with those reactions suggest to me that I'll end up loving it over time.

Mattofthespurs

I watched it twice in the space of 3 days and loved it both times.

It's definitely up there as a favourite of QT's films. Probably behind Jackie Brown and Inglorious Bastards but not by much.

radiator

One of those films that I felt very mixed about initially, but it stuck with me after and I've talked about a lot with friends. Once I could really put together what Tarantino was going for I really came around. Plus it's a rare treat to see a big budget Hollywood production these days that isn't a franchise cgi fest.

On that note it also raised an interesting discussion about how many auteur directors are left?

I'm talking big name, old school directors with a real brand or identity, and enough clout to command large studio budgets and A list casts, and where each new film of theirs feels like a big deal... because when you think about it, there really aren't that many.

Tarantino
Spielberg
Nolan
Wes Anderson
possibly Shamalayan (though personally I've never been a fan)

I'm struggling to think of many others...

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 10 September, 2019, 06:26:19 PM
On that note it also raised an interesting discussion about how many auteur directors are left?

I'm talking big name, old school directors with a real brand or identity, and enough clout to command large studio budgets and A list casts, and where each new film of theirs feels like a big deal... because when you think about it, there really aren't that many.

Tarantino
Spielberg
Nolan
Wes Anderson

Scorsese, The Coens and Fincher are the obvious ones. Maybe Tim Burton and Peter Jackson.

Wes's brother, Paul, CuarĂ³n and Villeneuve are working at budgets and a level of fame somewhere south of those others. Adam McKay and Lord & Miller are getting there; Judd Apatow and Richard Curtis have left there.

In previous decades, Waititi, Peele, Cosmatos, Lanthimos, Eggers, Fukunaga, Inarritu and Saulnier would be on track to join them in the pantheon, but, as you say, those films don't get space in cinemas nowadays*.

Which, to be honest, I'm fine with. I discovered the work of absolutely everyone above on home video; same goes for most of the films I love. Now cinemas are no longer slightly faded converted theatres, trips to the pictures feel like a trip to the dentist. As an aside, Jon Favreau should really be on that list, but - like Zemeckis - he's managed to avoid attracting the cult of personality necessary for canonisation. Bay, Abrahms, and Snyder have, but fuck those guys. Gunn and Fieg, maybe? Wither Aronofsky, Payne, and O Russell?

radiator

QuoteScorsese, The Coens and Fincher are the obvious ones. Maybe Tim Burton and Peter Jackson.

Absolutely yes to the first 3 - they are actually ones that came up in the discussion but slipped my mind. Scorsese's output is patchy, but he'll occasionally still put out something like Wolf of Wall Street that really hits the zeitgeist. I feel like Burton and Jackson have got lost in franchise/cgi land, sadly.

Jordan Peele is certainly getting there, isn't he - his movies are a huge deal, especially on this side of the pond.

Edgar Wright is up there - he's still making quality original films on his own terms, but again, he's kind of a small fish/cult figure in Hollywood terms.

QuoteI'd put it in the same category as Django Unchained - fairly entertaining, nothing special

Each to their own - I absolutely adore Django, and find it riotously entertaining and often laugh out loud hilarious from beginning to end. In many ways it feels like Tarantino's tightest and most focused movie of the last decade or so.

JOE SOAP

Paul Thomas Anderson, Paul Verhoeven and David Lynch are still out there, philistines.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2019, 09:30:01 PM
Quote from: Frank on 10 September, 2019, 07:34:14 PM
Wes's brother, Paul ...

Paul Thomas Anderson, Paul Verhoeven and David Lynch are still out there, philistines.

Philistine, heal thyself. Now Day-Lewis has jacked it in, PTang-yang Andersonbang spends his time persuading young women to take off their shirts. I never worked up the courage to watch Elle*

Like Lynch, Scorsese's as much a TV guy now, and Spielberg always kept a foot in that camp. It's not a hot take to say that's where the drama for adults has gone.

I suppose producers (Feige), studio heads (Blum) and showrunners (Gilligan) have supplanted directors as the source of fan interest and loyalty, restoring the balance of power to that depicted in Hail Cesar.

* Rhona Mitra getting it tight in Hollow Man persuaded me that Verhoeven and rape were a combo best avoided.

Funt Solo

Any mention of Scorcese reminds me how thrilled I was by the trailer for The Irishman.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

McGurk76

Quote from: radiator on 10 September, 2019, 06:26:19 PM
One of those films that I felt very mixed about initially, but it stuck with me after and I've talked about a lot with friends.
The same!
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not without its flaws but amongst Tarantino's best I think.
Loved how he incorporated so much obscure old TV, films and other examples of popular culture.
Enjoyed Bruce Lee's bit (Mark Kermode hated this bit for some reason). I personally felt the Steve McQueen appearance worked much less well.
One question:
Two scenes of beautiful women snoring loudly. What the hell...? Is this another Tarantino fetish? Like the foot thing? (which is here too).
Wasn't sure about the ending. Seemed to be Tarantino pandering too his fan base. Out of step with the rest of the film.
But overall: good.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 September, 2019, 06:20:32 AM
Any mention of Scorcese reminds me how thrilled I was by the trailer for The Irishman.

As was I.

Looking forward to it very much.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 September, 2019, 07:35:17 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 September, 2019, 06:20:32 AM

As was I.

Looking forward to it very much.

Me three.  Between this and Joker it's looking like a good autumn in the cinemas.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

Loved every second of this.

Strangely sweet in many ways.

Easily QT's most indulgent film ever, surely?  I mean, who the hell under 45 is going to get most of the references?

And do y'all think [spoiler]Cliff killed his wife?[/spoiler] Yes? No?

Mardroid

While I don't think he's an all had guy, [spoiler]I think he did. Particularly considering what he did at the end. Okay, he was hurt first, and it could be argued if was self defense, but dear me was that brutal. He's a friendly laid back good ol' boy, but he's got a monster inside. Mind you that other bloke didn't waste any time letting rip with the flamethrower, either, did he?[/spoiler]

Richard

To be fair, it wasn't an occasion for half-measures!