Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 July, 2013, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: johnnystress on 19 July, 2013, 10:09:21 AM
I like the look of this; Ortiz, demony stuff.... Probably expecting to much to ask if it was ever collected/

Not as far as I know, but there's a massive chunk of it scanned here, although the oldest episode is at the bottom so, counter-intuitively, you have to start at the bottom and scroll up.

Cheers!

Jim

Arsom! Never read this before - thanks for linking that Jim  :thumbsup:

JayzusB.Christ

Ro-Busters.
Robust.
Only occurred to me now.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

glassstanley

Not a play on words, just something I've missed in 35 years of re-reading: Walter waving Dredd on his way on the last page of Ch 2 of The Cursed Earth.

Skullmo

THINGS THAT WENT OVER YOUR HEAD...

Planes
It's a joke. I was joking.

judgerufian

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 July, 2013, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: johnnystress on 19 July, 2013, 10:09:21 AM
I like the look of this; Ortiz, demony stuff.... Probably expecting to much to ask if it was ever collected/

Not as far as I know, but there's a massive chunk of it scanned here, although the oldest episode is at the bottom so, counter-intuitively, you have to start at the bottom and scroll up.

Cheers!

Jim

Great!! Always wanted to read the end of this after having read some random episodes back in my yoof.
Many thanks!

Spikes

Quote from: glassstanley on 30 July, 2013, 09:31:19 PM
Not a play on words, just something I've missed in 35 years of re-reading: Walter waving Dredd on his way on the last page of Ch 2 of The Cursed Earth.

You and me both. Didnt notice Walter either, until fairly recently - and that's me pouring over every line of that particular story, for the passed 35 years as well.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Dredd's gun has six types of ammunition, so it's a six shooter.
You may quote me on that.

Bubba Zebill

Anderson topless in The Apocalypse War. (as they blast a tunnel under the east-meg silo's)
I mentioned it on another thread and thought it might be of interest here too.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI mentioned it on another thread and thought it might be of interest here too.

Anderson topless is always of interest.
Anyway, I've just re-read The Art of Kenny Who and realised that the boss of American comics giant Big 1 has a very familiar turn of phrase: 'Okay, 'nuff said.  It's truth-tellin' time, tiger'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Pete Wells

The Krool, are like, 'Cruel.'

I only sussed that during the Bad Company Art comp, sheesh!

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 September, 2013, 06:46:49 PM
QuoteI mentioned it on another thread and thought it might be of interest here too.
'Okay, 'nuff said.  It's truth-tellin' time, tiger'.

Ok...that did go over my head... Probably exposing a terrible ignorance of popular culcha ...but what's the reference?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 09 September, 2013, 12:41:33 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 September, 2013, 06:46:49 PM
'Okay, 'nuff said.  It's truth-tellin' time, tiger'.

Ok...that did go over my head... Probably exposing a terrible ignorance of popular culcha ...but what's the reference?

those sound like pulsatingly powerful proclamations from the Might Marvel Bullpen - Excelsior!

Bubba Zebill

...and has the same name as a certain assassin...now I get it! (never did read Marvel TBH)

Dragonfly

Over on the thread for the new Nemesis colour collection I mentioned that the DJ at the very beginning of the book was based on Kenny Everett and that this fact went unnoticed by me for thirty three years. Well here's something else.
Was looking through the same volume and was having fun trying to see where O'Neil provided new art for Eagle Comics. Got to the 'Origin Of Excessus' story and for the life of me I couldn't see where the new art was inserted. So I got the Nemesis The Warlock Vol1 out to compare and was surprised to see that the pages were the same. This got me to thinking that for that volume they had also used the Eagle version and that I had just discovered something new.
Almost came on here to ask if anyone could compare the original version to these and was there a problem with losing the original artwork when they compiled the b&w collection.
It was only then, when I was trying to find what prog the story was originally published in that I realised it had never been published in the prog but was an annual story, and as such was already the correct dimensions and didn't need adjusting.
Sometimes things take a while to sink in!

SuperSurfer

I've wondered about characters based on tv personalities being unrecognisable to younger readers in reprints. I think Robin Day has been used a few times in Dredd and Walter the Wobot strips.

As a kid I was baffled by Hammerstein's: "And if ya can't stand the heat... ya shouldn't be in the kitchen!" I had no idea it was a saying. I just thought – why is he talking about kitchens?