Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: sheridan on 06 April, 2017, 12:31:05 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 06 April, 2017, 12:21:04 PM
Hershey, Bar(bara)

I wonder if that one was intentional?  I thought I read somewhere (possibly earlier in this thread) that the name was taken from this Barbara Hershey.

Maybe this Hershey was named after the Hershey Bar... ;)

Lobo Baggins

Hershey, Bar(bara)

I wonder if that one was intentional?  I thought I read somewhere (possibly earlier in this thread) that the name was taken from this Barbara Hershey.

She was named by a phone poll early in the Megazine's history which, if I recall, had no options so I assume they ended up with a load of random other possibility and two or three people who said Barbara because it was the name of an actress, or just sounded familiar.

I'd have gone with Carol (Carol Hersee has a vaguely similar name and has appeared more on British television than everyone else put together...) but didn't bother to ring in because it was something like a pound a minute.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

positronic

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 06 April, 2017, 04:06:21 PM
Hershey, Bar(bara)

And the Hershey chocolate bar was manufactured by a confectionary firm founded by a man named Hershey! Who knows whether there might not be some actual blood relation in ancestry between the actress and the chocolate bar magnate?

positronic

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 April, 2017, 06:06:41 PM
Better than Harry 20's weasel obsession, anyway.

Did anyone already mention that Harry 20 was Escape From Alcatraz (starring Clint Eastwood) IN SPAAAAACE...:lol:

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 06 April, 2017, 04:29:05 PM
Hershey, Bar(bara)

And the Hershey chocolate bar was manufactured by a confectionary firm founded by a man named Hershey! Who knows whether there might not be some actual blood relation in ancestry between the actress and the chocolate bar magnate?

And maybe both of them are related to the CJ?

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 06 April, 2017, 04:36:33 PM
Hershey, Bar(bara)

Well, apart from the fact that's she's a fictional character living in some possible 'what if' science-fictional future timeline... Judges all have common names we see in real life, so why not?

I wonder if it would violate any laws if some writer put in a reference to Hershey being a descendant of one of them?

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 06 April, 2017, 04:40:06 PM

Well, apart from the fact that's she's a fictional character living in some possible 'what if' science-fictional future timeline... Judges all have common names we see in real life, so why not?

I wonder if it would violate any laws if some writer put in a reference to Hershey being a descendant of one of them?

You and your 'fiction'.

I still like that there's a MC1 Judge who's a descendant of Dutch Schaefer.

Rogue Judge

Hershey, Bar(bara)

That settles it - in my canon, Judge Hershey is officially a descendant of the chocolate founder Mr. Hershey and the cousin of Willy Wonka (twice removed)

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 06 April, 2017, 04:45:25 PM

You and your 'fiction'.

I still like that there's a MC1 Judge who's a descendant of Dutch Schaefer.

Did anyone ever try looking in the phone directory (this was a thing before internet-capable smartphones, kids, ask your dads) for the name Dredd?

JayzusB.Christ

I just found this lad.  I assume that's his real name; can't see why a Safeway's salesperson would need a pseuodonym.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-dredd-020b6497
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

CalHab

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 April, 2017, 10:38:12 PM
I just found this lad.  I assume that's his real name; can't see why a Safeway's salesperson would need a pseuodonym.

I find his chin disappointing.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 April, 2017, 10:50:50 PM
Dredd was supposed to be black.

That explains why he can wear such a close-fitting helmet.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Hold it there now hoss, Bernard Manning you ain't.

positronic

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 April, 2017, 10:38:12 PM

That's classic. So he worked installing CCTV systems (and later automated security gates) for a little over 3.5 years, then was unemployed for 2.5 years, and for the last 6.5 years has been working in the liquor department at Safeway (no title listed, so I'm guessing he's not the department manager). I wonder if he's familiar with his namesake? It's a fair bet he might have heard of the movie, though.