Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: Frank on 21 April, 2018, 12:10:32 AM

https://youtu.be/atwfWEKz00U?t=56m11s

Aha!  Thanks, Frank -- you're a superstar.

(I'd never have got that -- last saw that movie something like 35 years ago.)

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 April, 2018, 08:43:50 AM
Quote from: Timothy on 21 April, 2018, 08:29:08 AM
Looks a bit like the Speedo Ghost.

Ace Trucking was a few years off yet at that point.

So a potential candidate for the Swipe thread ;-)

I, Cosh

Luther Arkwright was named for the two big engines of violent social upheaval in British history: Protestantism and industrialisation.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

That Chevvy Chase wasn't Paul Simon
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 25 April, 2018, 10:53:11 PM
That Chevvy Chase wasn't Paul Simon

:lol:

Tangentially, I never realised that Carrie Fisher was married to Paul Simon (twice).  I always thought it was a SNL gag!

JayzusB.Christ

Having read the excellent Megazine floppy about Nemesis, I've just remembered two things that went over my head in Deathbringer the first time round: 1. The type of 'physical pleasure' Torquemada got from violent acts of revenge, and 2. The fact that he needed armour over his old chap to fend off repeated groin attacks.

This is what I love about rereading old progs - suddenly getting the sneaky adult bits I missed as a kid. I also didn't realise that Termight borrowed so much influence from Catholic iconography. I grew up in 80s Ireland, though, so I suppose it's the same as the way a fish doesn't know what water is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

glassstanley

There's one page of Hicklenton's that has an editorial white blob in one corner. That's because he drew an ejaculating penis in that space originally.

Greg M.

Quote from: glassstanley on 01 May, 2018, 07:29:32 PM
There's one page of Hicklenton's that has an editorial white blob in one corner. That's because he drew an ejaculating penis in that space originally.

Indeed. I own the original art for it - you can see it in all its glory here: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1239930

glassstanley

I love that Hicklenton went ahead and drew that page, presumably knowing it would be spotted and whited-out. Even more I love the feeble attempt to hide it behind the text box!

Greg M.

There's another notorious one, owned by another boarder, which features Purity going down on Nemesis - Hicklenton's 'gobble! gobble!' sound-effect was judiciously edited out.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 May, 2018, 08:44:17 PM
There's another notorious one, owned by another boarder, which features Purity going down on Nemesis - Hicklenton's 'gobble! gobble!' sound-effect was judiciously edited out.

Prior to all that, Bryan Talbot had included the line "Nemesis does it with Purity" on the back of a Terminator wagon.

JayzusB.Christ

Was there really such a panel?  Not that there's anything there to go down on...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

This is true, given that Nemesis's member is, in fact, his beak. Nonetheless, Purity has a good go here: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1032423

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 May, 2018, 09:21:16 PM

Was there really such a panel?  Not that there's anything there to go down on...

JayzusB.Christ

My word.  God, I loved John Hicklenton.  Less of a shite he could not give.