Main Menu

Does anyone know of a Dredd Stories Database?

Started by JoFox2108, 08 May, 2017, 12:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoFox2108

Other than the mighty Tharg, who obviously keeps track of all these things, does anyone know of anywhere on the internet which holds information on which Dredd stories are collected in which Case files and other graphic novels? 

I was kind of thinking of something which has Prog or Meg number, Story name, Casefiles Number and a list of other collected volumes with that story in?  A bit like this perhaps... 

(See picture - not sure where Tapatalk will put the picture in this post) 

This is an example I made up.  (I only filled in one story, the one I've just read - vv funny!)

I'm not bothered if it's in written or database format, I just want to find the information so I can sort myself out a reading order for Dredd.

Thanks!!!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

positronic

JoFox, it appears that we're both sorting through various sources of information on the interwebs, and I've been seriously doing this for a few weeks now. I can only echo Eamonn's recommendation of the Barney site -- it's an excellent resource. I haven't attempted yet to cross-reference information at the Grand Comics Database (www.comics.org), so I don't know how well-indexed 2000 AD and the Megazine are there. You need to be patient with using the Search engine there, as it's so detailed that there's a bit of a learning curve to it.

Another excellent resource (because it actually reviews the various Dreddworld collected editions) is Douglas Wolk's blog, Dredd Reckoning. Unfortunately, he stopped updating the blog early in 2013, but he managed to get reviews of all the Case Files up to Volume 19 on there, and other Dreddworld collected editions up through Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice. Here's a nice short intro course in how to read Judge Dredd collected editions, with a brief listing of all the Prog numbers and Megazine numbers of everything reprinted up through Case Files Vol. 28: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.se/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

Cross-referencing Barney with Doug's Dredd Reckoning site will usually yield the information you need, but don't ignore Wikipedia, either... there's some good resources to Dreddworld info (plus other 2000 AD characters, which is more difficult to find than info on Dredd).

I realize this isn't in the form of a spreadsheet (which would be the ideal for me), but you could presumably make your own by typing in the relevant data retrieved from those other various sources, if wanted to put the work into it. I often make my own spreadsheets for specialized interests, although assembling something truly comprehensive for 2000 AD and the Megazine would require tons of free time and dedication. The advantage of the spreadsheet is in being able to sort the data in various different ways, like coming up with a list of all the Dredd stories drawn (or written) by a particular creator, and then knowing where those stories originally appeared, and where they've been reprinted. The GCDb is probably the closest thing that would perform a similar function, but of course it has lots of gaps in information.

sheridan

Richard

EDazzling

I built my own, we all have to build our own, it's how we become who we were meant to be.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Richard on 08 May, 2017, 06:58:26 PM
Just buy all of them!

True, that is good to do. But it can be helpful to know what is where, if you already own say The Pit, or other stories covered already. Or if you perhaps want to skip buying some Millar or Morrison related volumes (subject to personal taste), etc.

2000ad.org is awesome, gotta love it.

positronic

Complete list of Judge Dredd stories from 2000 AD (through Prog 2022 - Mar. 15, 2017):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Dredd2AD.pdf

And the same for the Judge Dredd Megazine:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/DreddMEG.pdf

Depending on whether you can view .pdf's on a tablet or phone, these might or might not be particularly handy to use, but worst-case you can always print out the lists for reference.

JoFox2108

Thanks folks!  I had seen the Barney site, but initially I thought it was only about American releases.  Clearly that's not the case so I will dig in there for some info - it does look quite extensive.   :cool:  Thanks also for all the other links - I've spent some time browsing through them all and they are all really helpful.  THANK-YOU!!!!   :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to go forward with Positronic's suggestion to make my own database (DB) based on the information you've all suggested from a variety of sources.  I still love all that nerdy Database Admin stuff (used to be a programmer and DBA) so it should be a fun project in itself.  What I'd ideally like to do is to put it up somewhere on the web so anyone can use it but I'm going to make the DB first and then connect it to a web user interface later on.

Thanks again everyone!

PS:  I'm also going to add in all of the collected versions of various stories, e.g. the 'Day of Chaos' graphic novel, or 'Mechismo' Mega Collection book.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.