Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Made it the 'Princess Leia is Space Mary Poppins' moment in The Last Jedi.

I mean Ill probably finish it at some point but really that was just the most laughable thing I'd seen.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Three days, three movies.

Swamp Thing- the Craven original. I loved Wes Craven movies as a kid, but now every time I watch one I'm struck how utterly bloody awful they are. This one leaves me scared to watch Elm Street (which I haven't seen in ten years, I guess). Truly abysmal on every level, and not even an Adrienne Barbeau topless scene can save any of it.

Cold Skin. The novel was one of those irritating books that was lauded by people who don't usually read that type of thing. The movie is just a bit dull. Nothing you haven't seen before, a few crappy makeups, mumbled dialogue, Ray 'The Punisher' Stevenson banging a fish. Nothing of interest, to be honest, and a great disappointment.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Yeah, probably my favourite Star Wars film since Empire. Still surprising, still funny, still very poignant. Not much about this I don't like, to be honest, even when it goes a bit off the rails and stops feeling like Star Wars. Or worse, when it feels a bit like the prequels.

Next up will most likely be either The Greatest Showman or Deadpool 2, depending on the missus's choice tomorrow. Neither of which appeal greatly, but we will see.

SBT

Mardroid

The Greatest Showman* doesn't really appeal to me either (although strangely I often end up liking stuff that I wouldn't consider my cup of tea when/if I see it). I'm very much looking forward to Deadpool 2 though, but I did really like the original. Hope to see that soon, but I might end up seeing Infinity war again. I don't usually go to films twice, but I've a mate who hasn't seen it yet, and I don't mind. Often adds something watching a second time with someone else, checking they'd reactions etc. Not that I'll be oggling him all the way through. That would be distracting.

* 'showman' became 'snowman' on my phone. Heh. I was tempted to leave it.

abelardsnazz

Deadpool 2. No spoilers, suffice to say it's suitably daft fun that entertains.

Bad City Blue

Deadpool 2 is HILARIOUS.

For best results take a friend who gets upset when films don't follow the comics exactly. Double thefun if they REALLY love X-Force and are looking froward to seeing them all onscreen!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bolt-01

Deadpool 2.

A lot of fun- and I finally got to see Colossus really let loose. Sigh... :)

Link Prime

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 16 May, 2018, 10:15:13 AM
For best results take a friend who gets upset when films don't follow the comics exactly. Double thefun if they REALLY love X-Force and are looking froward to seeing them all onscreen!

Stab their eyes!

< Bodyslide by one >

Mardroid

Deadpool 2

So very silly, and enjoyable. It would go to a serious(ish) emotional place too on occasion, but it didn't really feel off.

I thought they might have done the meta stuff a bit too much this time, although it was amusing. Oh and definitely stay for the 2 mid credits gags after. I haven't laughed that hard for a long time! [Spoiler]And I haven't seen Green Lantern![/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA.
Thor, Spider-Man and two Peaky Blinders (three if you count Thor's wife) take on a 100 foot white whale and lose even though Q is helping them.

It's unrelentingly old fashioned from beginning to end, the pergormanves are flat - and you can't really make a "high seas adventure tale" about whalers without getting the audiences sympathy in the wrong place. The Herman Melville framing device doesn't really help; it would have been better just to focus on Brendon Gleeson and Cat Tully's relationship.

And the cinematography is really odd; that fully artificial look that DC movies like JUSTICE LEAGUE have.

More like IN THE HEART OF THE SHIT.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.  So I've been putting this one off for years, despite my contention that Wright is one of the greatest living filmmakers, as I didn't enjoy the comic much, I really don't care for Michael Cera or Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and I tend to dislike cross-media comicky FX gimmicks (see also: Sin City, Hulk). 

So after this one I'm still not sold on Mary Elizabeth Winstead and I care even less for Michael Cera.

But feck me if it isn't one really terrific movie!  Supporting cast more than makes up for the leads, especially Kieran Culkin, the amazingly dreamy Alison Pill and an excellent villainous turn by Jason Schwartzman.  The Wright magic is in full effect, with deep and thoughtful casting right down to doormen and tangential siblings, snappy two-handed dialogue, the central metaphor is well sustained (in a way I felt the comic fluffed), and the inventive beat'em up visuals never get boring.   

Adding this to the list of reasons for Edgar Wright's inevitable Ascension.  The man can do no wrong AFAIC.

Theblazeuk

Power Rangers. God the 90s version was so much...better? And I don't mean just because I was 8.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 May, 2018, 06:49:12 PM
Power Rangers. God the 90s version was so much...better? And I don't mean just because I was 8.

It's always a key moment when you look at some megabucks screen jobbie, and think "wait, that really crap grating no-budget cheesy costume/cardboard buildings/bad dubbing original was so much better than this".

Hire a script writer. HIRE A SCRIPT WRITER..

PsychoGoatee

I actually kinda liked that new Power Rangers movie, though that is quite the exception for these reboot type of things. It had some heart and fun I felt. But for sure, the 90s stuff holds up as a lot of fun, and I'd embrace more of that energy and off the wall charm in a sequel.

And agreed Scott Pilgrim is one excellent movie!

And also agreed Deadpool 2 is a good time!

Hawkmumbler

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger >>>>>>> Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Keep up gaijin weebos!

PsychoGoatee

I think we've talked about tokusatsu shows on twitter before, I am a fan of that stuff as well.  :) Gokaiger is my fav. Zyu isn't one of my favs though, and MMPR with it's Saved By The Bell meets crazy cartoon mayhem style is to me one of the more inspired adaptations. But overall I prefer Super Sentai. For oldschool stuff I dig Liveman, yessir.