Main Menu

2014 End Of Year Readers' Poll

Started by Frank, 27 December, 2014, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

WITHOUT TREADING ON THE TOES OF PETE WELLS AND HIS END OF YEAR BEST COVERS POLL WHATSOEVER, I thought we should revive the readers' poll in an unofficial capacity. If that turns out not to be a good idea, I'm sure this thread will quietly disappear.

I've just ripped-off the categories I can remember featuring in the old surveys which appeared in the prog and Megazine; feel free to include your own categories, but NO WORST WRITER, WORST STRIP, or WORST CHARACTER (etc) nominations.

There's no closing date, make up your own mind whether you want to nominate a single candidate per category or rank three candidates first, second and third, and - unlike the diligent Pete Wells - I'm not going to bother tallying up the votes and announcing winners - I'M NOT YOUR DAD!

Suggested Categories (for prog or Megazine):

BEST WRITER

BEST NEW WRITER

BEST ARTIST

BEST NEW ARTIST

BEST SERIES

BEST NEW SERIES

BEST SINGLE EPISODE (either of a continuing series or a standalone story)

FAVOURITE MOMENT

FAVOURITE LINE OF DIALOGUE

CHARACTER OR STRIP YOU WANT TO SEE MORE OF IN 2015

3RILLER OR SUMMER/WINTER SPECIAL STORY YOU'D LIKE TO SEE RETURN AS ONGOING SERIES

No nominations for best cover or cover artist, because Pete Wells's dedicated poll will be along shortly to inform and entertain us with miscounted totals and wrongly sized thumbnails.

I, Cosh

Screw you, Sauchie. Screw you and screw the ungrateful, mutant, talking horse with the amusing name that you rode in on.

Just because I haven't previously mentioned my "2000ADreview Memorial Review of 2014AD thread" thread, it doesn't mean I haven't been working on my piece for it.

Anyway, fair play. I'll have mine in soon gavin, honest. Always a bit more fun if people give a bit of a justification for their choices. And I'd split the best story between Best Dredd and Best Other.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

Don't sweat it lads, I'm going over my last 50 progs and 12 megs with a fine toothcomb and will happily post in both. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Best Writer: Gordon Rennie; Best Artist: Henry Flint; Best Series:Judge Dredd; Best New Series: Jaegir; Best Single Episode: Titan part 5 - Prog 1866; Favourite Moment: Ulysses Sweet - Firearm assisted brain surgery - Prog 2015; Favourite Line of Dialogue: 'oh the Kleggmanity'; Charachter or Strip You Want to See More of in 2015: Shakara....well one can but wish. Z
Not really back on the prog long enough to authoritatively speak about new writers and artists.

ZenArcade

C'mon, I'm keen to see what struck a chord with other Squaxx last year??? Z

Dan Banks

Just off the top of my head (turns out its much harder to flick through a "pile" of digital comics...)

BEST WRITER - Gordon Rennie, mostly for Jaegir, not that his other efforts have not been good but Jaegir I felt was above a beyond, truly the stand out series of the year and so glad that it has had a really good schedule so far.

BEST NEW WRITER/BEST NEW ARTIST - Gonna ignore these, hard to work out who's new and who isn't!

BEST ARTIST - Now this is a hard one, obviously I'm very fond of Mr Coleby's work on Jaegir (and "The Royals", crackin little non-2000AD series) and it's hard not to mention another Simon's work on Slaine this year but my vote has to go to Lee Carter's incredible work on Indigo Prime. Those spreads! Special mention to Michael Dowling too, forgot that most of the last Anderson story was this year, beautiful stuff.

BEST SERIES - Probably Jaegir, particularly the first story Strigoi. Honorable mention to Kingdom which is just my favourite series FULL STOP.

BEST NEW SERIES - Dammit, Jaegir again although I also really enjoyed Lawless in the Meg.

BEST SINGLE EPISODE - Slaine Prog 1882, Slaine vs the Giant

FAVOURITE MOMENT - The end of Kingdom: Aux Drift where [spoiler]Gene finds the Kingdom[/spoiler]. There's a great feeling that comes with that final caption.

FAVOURITE LINE OF DIALOGUE - [spoiler]"All Hail Christhulhu"[/spoiler] from Indigo Prime. Brilliant.

CHARACTER OR STRIP YOU WANT TO SEE MORE OF IN 2015 - Lawless. Sort of Walking Tall but about a female badass, in space. What's not to like?