Link Prime

Quote from: Satanist on 19 January, 2016, 01:12:20 PM

I tried I tells ye, I'm now off to eat worms  :'(

Sorry Satanist- Enjoy your Gagh!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 January, 2016, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 January, 2016, 04:00:18 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 January, 2016, 10:48:43 AM

I suspect Colin was very much excited for this, as was I. Nowhere Men #7 brings the series back and it's quite wonderful to behold, a true clusterfuck of a series with stupendous art and mind melting plot threads.

You know me too well. I really must get the first 6 issues out for a re-read before my next visit to my LCS to get back into the swing of things. When this was first being published it was without doubt my favourite ongoing series.
I think you're going to love #7 then, a cracking return to the series and a nice bomb shell cliffhanger. I too, have a mighty urge to dig out the first trade and give it a read again. Alongside Copperhead and Egos as one of the best Image titles right now.

Well did that (my re-read) and can firmly confirm that I'm stoked this comic is coming back. Quite superb. While Eric Stephenson's 'They're Not Like Us.' is a modern re-imagining of Lee 'n Kirby's X-Men core themes, Nowhere Men is exactly the same except taking the Lee n KIrby's Fantastic Four as its DNA (well less numerical concerns). The one slight concern I have is that after the first arc set all the pieces in place the series might become only a fresh and invigorating take in the superhero genre, which it teases well. But the series is by afar and away most interesting when its dealing with its take on science as rock and roll and the dynamics between the four members of the Beatles World Corp. My hope is it continues its deft balance from the series to date.

I'm guessing the glorious world building back matter will continue and that it continues to be by far the best designed comics this side of a Rian Hughes exhibition.

Truly if you aren't reading this comics there's LOADS of chance to catch up cheaply with the first 6 issues, cos if you don't the chances are you'll be missing out on the best mainstream comic out there.

Hawkmumbler

Hhhhmmm. Did the Jiro Kuwata Batman manga really only last long enough to fill 3 TPB's? Just got my mits on the third one and it's apparently the last, I has always assumed the series was so legendary it went on for years...

The Adventurer

Oh hey, Prophet: Earth War has finally arrived. That's cool.

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 208
2000 AD 1965
SAGA 33
EAST OF WEST 24
SAVAGE DRAGON 211
PROPHET: EARTHWAR 1

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

For some reason I was convinced this was the last issue of The Spire. Turns out there are two more to go.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Well, that was quite the thrilling haul I must say. I always look forward to my digital oull list but this week was a surprisingly high number of physical additions.

Lumberjanes vol.2 is just as utterly delightful, zaney, brilliantly illustrated and so full of earnest joy and heart and whimsey. Seriously, I know people here have sproggs, get them reading Lumberjanes as it's a cracking all age's title. The Tipping Point in contrast is a bizzare mixed bag of wonders, hailing from some of the greatest creators in the busines including Naoki Urasawa, Eddie Campbell, and John Cassadey. I've...not finished it yet persay but when I have i'll open it's own thread, heavens above the Urasawa story alone is worthy of it's own thread. I also concluded Savage Dragon Archives 5 and i'm starting to see how the modern era Malcolm Dragon stuff has come to be, with Mr. Glum playing and increasingly larger role as the volume progressed, the appearence of Dart II and her betrayle of Sgt. Marvel and the official introduction of Invincible into the Dragon pantheon of guest stars, i'm very much looking forward to the next volume. All thise shiney silver age hero's, gotta wonder if it'll bundle the Next Issue material in their, can anyone confirm if She-Dragon and Mighty Man one shots will ever see the light of day again?

Carrying on the Savage Dragon hype train was #211...and yeah, it's mostly the same issue as my first intro to the series the FCBD issue from last year with a few scenes added to give context to the recent changes in character development. Gotta wonder who got their hands on Malc's accident child...
Wilds End The Enemy Within #5 is simply heart breaking and superb at the same time, and for a moment, I thought Dabnett has become as attatched to [spoiler]Fawkes[/spoiler]bas I had, but wonderously the series that keeps on giving suverted my expectations once again. Jolly good stuff.

Si Spurrier is a bit good isn't he? And his new Image series, Cry Havoc #1 has plenty to love. If you liked Age of Wolf then you'll get a kick out of it, though honestly I think it's better than that particular title. It help that the art is also splendiferous, so this ine deffinetly gets a pass for a #2. Saga #33 brings my favourite characters of the series back, Upsher and Doff as well as [spoiler]The Will, who seem's to have put on a bit of weight[/spoiler]. Saga is still excellent and I do enjoy how it's all coming together a little bit now with many characters being thrown into the mixer and seeing what happens.

Onwards to the anthologys and Island #6 is an odity and no mistake, plenty to enjoy for certain but I am finding the tone of the general anthology a little all over the place. This is deffinetly not a bad thing, but Zooniverse isn't exactly a sci-fi piece and I was under the impression Islands was a sci-fi only anthology...
Anyway, Weekly Shounen Jump #8 is quite fantastic once again, One Piece, My Hero Academia, Toriko and World Trigger are all on full thrill power, and One-Punch Man isn't stopping for no one as it blazes a trail.

Two of the best of the pull list though, where Art Ops #4 and Doctor Who 11th #5, as they where just utterly superb in all respects. Two of the greatest sci-fi tales in comics right now and both utterly delightful in equal measure.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 January, 2016, 04:09:48 PM
Oh hey, Prophet: Earth War has finally arrived. That's cool.

It's been so long I almost decided to wait for the Earth War trade. Almost.

A new issue of Providence (7) is on the horizon next week, seems like an age since the last one.
My number one read every time I collect a stack of comics from my LCS.

BPP

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 January, 2016, 12:55:32 PM
Onwards to the anthologys and Island #6 is an odity and no mistake, plenty to enjoy for certain but I am finding the tone of the general anthology a little all over the place. This is deffinetly not a bad thing, but Zooniverse isn't exactly a sci-fi piece and I was under the impression Islands was a sci-fi only anthology...

Island is just 'whatever Bradon Graham is into which is grand by me, after despairing over what happened to A1 and DHP its nice to get a quality anthology. Am entirely unsure how its selling and the change in format does not bode well but its a great product. So nice to see some of The Trash Twins work in there too this month.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

Say...whatever happened to Rocket Girl and Platinums End? Two titles on my pull list that had instalments around October last year but then just sort of vanished...

Colin YNWA

Oh comics, my comics

Lets start at a start. Cry Havoc 1 was pretty good, not quite Si Spurrier good, but pretty good. Plenty of room for this one to grow. As Judge Dredd 2 does. See I've got over the fact that its not my Dredd and I'm now just really enjoying this alternate Dredd and the wonderful kaffule they've created for him. They've used their latitude to really throw 'Dredd' into a fantasticly fresh situation. Another comic growing and growing is Hercules 3 this is rapidly turning into the comic I wanted it to be and from a slow start is quite the thing now. Lovin' it.

The Island 6 is a comic that growing, but almost uncontrollably. I always wanted it to take me places I wasn't expecting and it does that, just its a little ungrounded as Hawkmonger says and I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with the number of stories that have been set off running and are left out there. I think this comics need to get its focus, finish what it started and I think it could be great. As it is, messy and I'm running out of patience... again...

Not too much else to say about many of the rest of my books they are all pretty smackin' to be honest. Maxx 27 GREAT, The Spirit 7 GREAT 11th Doc 2nd 5 GREAT, The Spire 6 GREAT but I'm lost again, Black Canary 7 GREAT ending, Ninth Wave 2 GREAT, Dreaming Eagles 2 GREAT, Hip Hop Family Tree 6 GREAT and I'm learning so much must check out 'Wild Style', Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 3 GREAT but...

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 February, 2016, 06:01:28 PM
Say...whatever happened to Rocket Girl and Platinums End? Two titles on my pull list that had instalments around October last year but then just sort of vanished...

I'd rather stopped messing about and got back to Rocket Girl, this second hiatus makes me think its gone alas.

Though a comic I'd long given up on os BACK so what do I know, back and back in such an astonishingly great way it gets comic of the haul even with all those gems. Nowhere Men 7 is stunningly good, quite brilliant, really brilliant. BUY IT and boy that ending, that ending, I did not see that coming. Supreme stuff.

The Adventurer

Platinums End? The manga? I've had monthly issues since its launch. 4th ish should be out soon I think.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 February, 2016, 08:59:18 PM
Platinums End? The manga? I've had monthly issues since its launch. 4th ish should be out soon I think.
Welp, something appears to be up with my app then as it's only showing ch.1 as being available.

I've sent a message to Viz about it but I see it's on comixology so i'll just read it there for ease of access.

Hawkmumbler

Sooooo....Tuki Saves the World #4 is apparently out in the wild. #3 feel's like it came out years ago.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 February, 2016, 06:09:33 PM
Sooooo....Tuki Saves the World #4 is apparently out in the wild. #3 feel's like it came out years ago.

Yeah very pleasently surprised to see this on my LCSs arrivals list for this week. I think Jeff Smith has been poorly or something?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 February, 2016, 07:31:27 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 February, 2016, 06:09:33 PM

Yeah very pleasently surprised to see this on my LCSs arrivals list for this week. I think Jeff Smith has been poorly or something?
I'm not certain, but it give's me an excuse to read #1-3 again, be ause they where bloody brilliant.

Got today and tomorrow off so inbetween house work I intend to destroy my digital long box and devour two weeks worth of comics. Bliss!