Main Menu

Prog 2108 - Germ Warfare

Started by Magnetica, 17 November, 2018, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Have we had an answer as to why, [spoiler]if Frank was compromised, Smiley allowed him to take down a ninja judge in the first place? [/spoiler]

Presumably [spoiler] Sensitive Klegg is still available to provide a second Horse Ex Machina moment, as he bizarrely did in order to get Frank back?[/spoiler]

TordelBack

If we are going to see Hershey out (again), it might be nice if she was actually in the story for more than a few panels. Contrast with almost every other Dredd this year, where she consults with Joe on each and every case.

Other than that, we've lost Kazan Jr (two prior appearances, and a 2nd generation clone-villain at that), and Sam, a character who only exists in this storyline. It's not exactly world-altering. Still doubt Frank is going anywhere (thankfully),  but as BPP points out Williams razed an entire cast of great characters in Low Life, so I could well be wrong.

Anyway,  apologies, I don't mean to suggest anyone else is wrong to be getting a buzz out of Small House. It's definitely one of the best Dredds of recent years.

broodblik

Dredd believes in the system; and if the system is rotten to its core that is something that will alter Dredd's world and his percipient.  He at this point trust no one. He has lost his faith in his believe system. Well my interpretation of the events of Small House. I might be complete of track
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 November, 2018, 06:44:33 PM
Have we had an answer as to why, [spoiler]if Frank was compromised, Smiley allowed him to take down a ninja judge in the first place? [/spoiler]

I don't get the impression Smiley's formed a sentimental attachment to Bachmann's leftovers*

* Or that they're thin on the ground. I wonder whether the ninjas were always Smiley's boys; was Bachmann only ever a front for Smiley? If not, I wonder how and why they were persuaded to transfer their allegiances to someone who doesn't seem fussed about bringing about the God City eschaton they believed in and desired so fervently? Also, who pumps the airs in the batmobile tyres?

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2018, 05:35:08 PM
Skip Tracer ends its second run with far more credit than its first, but I'm still not sure how much of this is down to the MacNeil factor. But does that really matter? Stylish and striking is as stylish and striking does. I don't think Nolan or his world have established a particularly distinctive identity yet, but I'm pleased Tharg is giving it a fair shake.  We'll see.

I'm not sure it is down to MacNeil (legend that he is); his art herr looks very similar to Paul Marshall's on the first series to me - indeed I am assuming that is on purpose.

Quote from: Frank on 22 November, 2018, 05:19:27 PM

"The illusion of change."

That's what Stan Lee always said was the secret to Marvel storytelling. Make it seem as if things were changing in the life of a character... but, in point of fact, have them remain exactly the same. It's a terrific theory, and creators and publishers still abide by it.

I only just got round to watching Infinity War this week. And what I assume what was meant to be a highly impactful ending lost all credibility for me when they started killing off so many leading characters, especially Spider-man - as if Marvel were going to let one of their premier properties die. And you know what, isn't there a new Spider-man film coming out?

So major changes need to be credible.

Back on the topic of the Small House, I am almost certain Hershey won't be Chief Judge for much longer. Not sure Frank is coming back....though you never know.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2018, 07:04:47 PM
I'm not sure it is down to MacNeil (legend that he is); his art herr looks very similar to Paul Marshall's on the first series to me - indeed I am assuming that is on purpose.

Yes, the look is very consistent, but I think MacNeil's massive blocks of shadow, use of silhouettes and numerous short wide panels gave it a real sense of threat and pace that Marshall's more detailed, more conventionally SF, art may not have so readily brought to the first run.

Which isn't to say Marshall's work wasn't as great as always, just that with a fairly generic setting and character, a heavy dollop of style might be injecting atmosphere and substance that might not be there in the script. But that's the nature of comics: if Peaty is giving MacNeil opportunities to work his magic, that's most of the job done.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2018, 07:04:47 PMAnd what I assume what was meant to be a highly impactful ending lost all credibility for me when they started killing off so many leading characters, especially Spider-man - as if Marvel were going to let one of their premier properties die.

I don't think you were supposed to believe they were all perma-deaths, it's more by way of a classic cliffhanger: not will they, but how are they going to get out of this one? The shock and pathos was the impact, rather than the long-term credibility.

I've said before,  but I think they made a mistake not sticking with a Part 1 and 2 titling rather than  Avengers 3 and 4 - then it feels less like they were attempting to pull the wool over our eyes,  which they weren't really.

Then there's the interest of working out which characters might actually be gone: Vision,  Gamorra,  Loki...

Frank

While Hershey dying/leaving/turning on Dredd would be a big deal, I'm not sure it's the order of change Peter David cited Swamp Thing as an example of. 

Other writers have taken long-serving Wagner characters off the board* and Dredd's now functionally immortal. We all know what would constitute real change in Dredd world; we've known for more than a decade, now.

* Ennis with Dekker and Rennie with Guthrie

TordelBack

Dekker had barely appeared since her graduation, that's what was so annoyingly wasteful about it.  And Rennie just tinkered with Guthrie, he could still come back. I don't think either count as big interventions.

I'm not against the idea of Williams deposing/disposing of Hershey, but I'd like her to be the focus of that particular story,  rather than a casualty of it (which is itself a Dredd trope, of course). After almost 40 years and two long spells in the big chair, she deserves a meaningful exit.

If it was just throwing down some sort of "look, the newer writers can change big stuff!" marker, I'm not sure I'd be overly impressed. It's essential for the future of the strip that they do, of course.

Leigh S

We've had Carroll's Texas City takeover (wherefore art thou, Smiley?)
We've had Eglintons(?) Sons of Booth
We've had Williams Enchilidas...

Nothing wrong with any of those, but as Frank says, there is a Fargo shaped elephant in the corner playing cards with no one because they all died during the Chaos Bug.  It's fair enough that perhaps theres been an expectation that Wagner would pick up at least the Fargo thread, but think about what Wagner would have done to weave those "big" ideas together and around each other, rather than it feeling like there are three alternate Dreddverses studiously avoiding each other

Frank

I suppose the larger point is that even the exit of a Chief Judge, even the exit of a Chief Judge who's a long-running character, is business as usual. Happened before, it'll happen again.

I assume that's one reason Wagner left Hershey in there for so long. The regular replacement of Chief Judges that was part of the fun of the early strip had lost its novelty.

All you're doing is changing faces, rather than anything important about the strip. Can anyone honestly say the Volt era felt different to the Silver or first McGruder administrations? *

The illusion of change.

* Or Hershey, for that matter. That's why everyone flipped for the scene where she put the smackdown on Dredd in Bullet To King Four. As observed at the time, that was more characterisation than Hershey's had in the last 35 years! A few weeks ago, we discussed the brilliant scene in Tour Of Duty where Hershey realises Dredd made her put her job on the line over mutant rights but has no intention of doing the same (and never had). That's an astonishing piece of comic storytelling, but 'disappointed' isn't a personality trait.

Trout

Why aren't you all arguing about the ballsack?

Great comic book, though. Every story was enjoyable - even the one that showed a scrotum.

TordelBack

Quote from: Trout on 23 November, 2018, 10:47:30 PM
Why aren't you all arguing about the ballsack?

Political Thread's thattaway >>>

Jacqusie

Quote from: BPP on 22 November, 2018, 04:15:14 PM
Oh well. You'll always have Mike Carroll.

Which you just know won't be far away with the usual brand of plonking Dredd somewhere radically removed from MC1 and bodging an convoluted story round it along with the de facto bizzare characterisation.

The current story is the essence of Dredd for me and Williams is the writer completely on the top of his game. I don't think this excellent long running arc is over just yet...

dweezil2

For my money, The Small House reads and looks so good I won't be losing much sleep over the continuity.  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo