Main Menu

Angela Kincaid

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 18 March, 2024, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: GordonR on 21 March, 2024, 08:15:18 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 March, 2024, 07:57:11 PMI believe he mentioned that both Robin Low and Steve MacManus were sexist, misogynistic dinosaurs

That's a harsh call on a long-term forum member. Particularly when he was probably about 12 at the time.

Are you sure you don't mean then 2000AD art editor Robin Smith?

Could well possibly be him, I didn't have the book on hand at the time. Thanks for correcting me and apologies to long-term user, Robin Low for slurring your good name & reputation, hope I didn't offend you in any way!! I blame the fact that there's one too many individuals named Robin in the world of 2000AD.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 March, 2024, 09:10:06 PMGiven Mills' notorious temperament, it's useful to hear both sides of that story.
It's always useful to get more than one perspective, regardless of temperament. I should add that when I asked her many years ago at a con, knowing none of this backstory, why she didn't draw more Slaine, the answer she gave me was quite different. She said that she was unhappy with the level of violence, and preferred Ukko to Slaine anyway. But this may have been a cover story she came up with because she didn't want to talk about it.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

I remember well (in 1985) when ColinYNWA & JayzusB.Christ (then employed as "Mek-Quakers" by Tharg) dragged Gerry Finley-Day out of King's Reach Tower by the hair and gave him a good kicking in an adjoining alley. Tharg (actually a man called Bob Wiskerando*) at that point had just had enough of the ridiculous naming conventions in Rogue Trooper and anyway had a thing about people with hyphenated names. It was common to brutally assault the creatives at that time because it was important that they knew their place within the social hierarchy - something that had become confused with the advent of the revolting punk movement.

* Sorry if that comes as a shock to any Deep Squaxx.

---

Not to derail the thread, though. That first episode of Slaine is very enjoyable, yes. I particularly like the topography of the village, and the old lady with a pet smilodon.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

I would happily read a non-violent solo Ukko story illustrated by Angela Kincaid!

Failing that, I wonder if Tharg would commission a Slaine poster or Star Scan from her?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 March, 2024, 02:40:01 PMI remember well (in 1985) when ColinYNWA & JayzusB.Christ (then employed as "Mek-Quakers" by Tharg) dragged Gerry Finley-Day out of King's Reach Tower by the hair and gave him a good kicking in an adjoining alley.

Yep, back when I was 10 we were punky punks from a punk background who loved punking around punkishly with other punks from the punk era.[/Pat Mills] [/Grant Morrison for that matter]

I love Pat Mills' classic work and I'll reread it forever, but I generally tend to take his angry reminisces with a pinch of salt.  It seems sometimes that apart from him, EVERYONE involved in the editorial teams of comics were various incarnations of the Antichrist.  The misogynist label I hadn't heard before, though, and just to be horribly petty, it's a bit rich from someone whose writing defines a female lover as someone 'who will stick one in your back'.  I don't really think he's a misgynist, of course, though I do remember a female Squaxx asking Tharg what Pat's 'major malfunction with women' was.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Look those video pictures show nothin' you got nuthuin' on us mate so I'd keep it shut okay.

Anyway we warned him right. I mean Ben Ninety was just askin' for it.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 March, 2024, 07:05:19 PMLook those video pictures show nothin' you got nuthuin' on us mate so I'd keep it shut okay.

I've never seen Colin go FULL THUG before, and it's got me worried.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 March, 2024, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 March, 2024, 07:05:19 PMLook those video pictures show nothin' you got nuthuin' on us mate so I'd keep it shut okay.

I've never seen Colin go FULL THUG before, and it's got me worried.

That's right, that right. Colin's a good boy. A nice boy and done no wrong to not no one. And don't you forget it if anyone asks... anyone...

Richard

This is the real Colin, the other one was just a facade...