Main Menu

SPACEWARP - New Venture from Pat Mills

Started by Bolt-01, 05 April, 2019, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

If anyone involved with the production / logistics are reading this - good work.

I received my copies of Spacewarp and Shift just before Christmas - impressed with the content and production values, and I don't think I have ever received comics packed so carefully via the post.

judgeurko

Bolt-01

Interesting question.

I was hoping that we'd get an announcement of some sort over the festivities; give the readers something to look forward to and all that.

Maybe, if any of the contributors are about, one of them could share if there is any news from Pat?

Colin YNWA

In my head I've read that Uncle Pat is trying to work out a model to diversify the writing with appropriate reward structures in place and that's why we've not heard more... I may have dreamt that of course!

Wilko10

Don't know if anyone has asked this already, but what did you all think of Pat Mills' Spacewarp?

Topics merged—IP

broodblik

This is one of those publications where I continued reading in the hope that it got better and ended by just reading it to get it done.  I was surprised that this was my take on it since I have never read a Pat Mills story which I did not like (even if it felt like a repeat and his obsessive focus on anti-authority story-lines). 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Wilko10

Quote from: broodblik on 08 March, 2021, 06:28:04 PM
This is one of those publications where I continued reading in the hope that it got better and ended by just reading it to get it done.  I was surprised that this was my take on it since I have never read a Pat Mills story which I did not like (even if it felt like a repeat and his obsessive focus on anti-authority story-lines).

That's a shame, man. Can't say I blame you as it is definitely provocative in its themes, but that's why l loved it. I felt it had flare.

broodblik

Quote from: Wilko10 on 08 March, 2021, 07:13:31 PM
That's a shame, man. Can't say I blame you as it is definitely provocative in its themes, but that's why l loved it. I felt it had flare.

I do not mind it being provocative but I could not get into the world Mills tried to make. I just did not care for any of the characters at all. 

AlexF

I thought it was pretty decent but very much aimed at teens rather than adults. And while I have plenty of time for teen stuff the sad truth is I only really enjoy it when it has some nostalgic connection for me. So I can still get into Marvel superheroes and indeed some old 2000AD stories but not so much all-new things like Spacewarp (not to mention a bajillion much-loved TV shows aimed at younger people than me!)

Barrington Boots

Bit late to the party on this one, but I've finished Spacewarp and I was impressed.

I've struggled with a lot of Pat Mills' recent Prog output but this all felt a lot fresher. Pat is one of the all time greats when it comes to ideas and this is bursting with them. Keeping all the stories tied to a central concept is ambitious and as some have said possibly limiting, but I'm impressed with the audacity of it.
Highlights for me were Jurassic Punx and Hellbreaker but I enjoyed the bulk of it.. SF1 I felt was the weak strip within - the latter has a great idea but the ensemble cast seemed lacking, that may just need time.

I'm not sure it achieves a lot of the goals it set when conceived - I can't see the mooted target teen market paying that much for a b&w comic, regardless of the quality - but I'm guessing that this was the only realistic option. Tbh I think for the younger market Regend does it better. But I'd definitely like to see more Spacewarp and I think teenage me would have loved it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Professor Bear

Also late to the party, I found Spacewarp #1 less flashy than the prog, but its content was more objectively interesting.  The biggest hurdle was the shared universe conceit, which I don't think I'm being terribly controversial in saying is getting a bit overdone at the moment, but Pat pulls it off.  I'll risk sounding uncharitable and offer that this seems to be the work of someone more obviously invested in the material than the guy who wrote recent prog offerings, and he's produced some memorable characters - mainly villains.
I don't think the price hurts this as much as some like to think it will, as the comics market has already set a costly precedent, and I think what will most help or hinder this project will probably be its social media footprint, though luckily that seems to be going well.
Looking forward to more, if/when it appears.

judgeurko

Bolt-01