Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 15/04/06, 7.15pm, NEW EARTH...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 15 April, 2006, 05:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

...Oh great joy, here we go again for another 13 weeks of Dr Who, as last year, please post your views comments and brick-bats here...

...the Sisters of Plentitude wish you long life, meeeooooww!!!...

Quirkafleeg

Never mind the program... I've been waiting for Uncle Umpty telling us all he didnt watch it!

The Amstor Computer

Guh... not sure that I could put up with that for another 13 weeks... ;-)

Anyway, Charlie Brooker's preview suggests this opening episode may be like last year's Rose - a bit messy and incoherent but full of promise - and that it shouldn't be taken as representative of the quality of the new series. Brooker also has a preview tape of next week's episode, Tooth & Claw, which he compares to the second ep of the first series in terms of fulfilling the promise of the opening show.

radiator

Dammit! I'll be at work! Anyone know if they're repeating it? BBC3 perhaps?

The Monarch

The Monarch

yeah both it and the confidential are showing on sunday

The Amstor Computer

Yup, Brooker was right - an unfocused mess of an episode. There were some good moments in there, but Davies seemed to be trying to force three different episodes into one & it didn't succeed. Some nice effects work in there, some good performances (though I cringed through the Doctor-Cassandra performance from Tennant) and some interesting elements that could have been worked into a more satisfying whole.

Still, next week looks promising & I'm hopeful that this is just a bit of a misfire at the beginning of a good new series.

Dark Jimbo

It seemed to have been done the world of good being freed from all the exposition, just crashing straight in there with the story - but still a bit sci-fi lite, innit?

Ah well, after last series I know what to expect when I watch a Russell T Davies episode now, so I'm no longer too put out. Just hope the quality is better on the non-RTD episodes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

Pretty good - plenty of simultanious posts so no apologies for any duplications...

New Earth (Nu surely) look great complete with Mega City style city blocks. Those robot scout bugs were a total lift from Minority report.

What's the chances of going 5 billion plus years and you meet all your old props once again!

Nice ending although I thought those winged dude would appear as past and future Cassandras were in the same time and touching! Consciousness only so we'll maybe let them off.

Overall a good start, Rose looking very busty, decent Matrix style sets and cracking Cat makeup. Resolution was a bit straightforward, but straight into the number one slot, well at least untill Bullseye starts on Challenge on Monday 10pm.

the3rdman

I liked it. The Doctor - Cassandra performance from Tennant made me smile, I thought it was good. Next weeks looks darker and Tennant said on Radio 1 that it was a frightener. Kids behind the couch time then ?

petemaskreplica

It was lightweight but fun. Sure, it was a bit confused, but Dr Who always has been ;)

Next week's looks f***in' excellent :)

Max Kon

Lord Running Clam

I'm not sure what to make of that episode.For every good idea there was a wrong step.Still I think it worked just,though the plague clones need hug resolution was a tad daft.

The stuff I liked most was:Rose/Cassandra,the great cat make-up,some fun lines such as "the flesh is free",and the effects all looked smart.

Only things that really bugged me were the fact that for a new earth filled with humanity's varied offspring most of them looked rather,well,human,if you know what I'm getting at.
There was a bit of overacting,nothing to bad.
Also I hope we have not seen the last of Cassandra.

Next weeks episode looks like a cracker.

House of Usher

I enjoyed that: a good first episode. Have to agree with Lord Running Clam, though: "For every good idea there was a wrong step".

As usual, the science/fiction didn't add up, but it was good entertainment.

And I thought the ending with the two Cassandras was very moving, and the best bit.
STRIKE !!!

The Amstor Computer

Hm. I'm hoping we have seen the last of Cassandra - she's not that interesting a character, and I think that she served well to bridge the first and second series, but there's no need to bring her back again.

Also didn't think much of the two Cassandra ending - the sudden compassion toward Chip-Cassandra from Past-Cassandra didn't quite convince, and I feel that ending the episode with Past-Cassandra swishing off after their conversation, then having Chip-Cassandra pass away would have been more satisfying.

I'm still feeling that there were too many subplots in there for the running time - Cassandra, the Sisters' flesh farm, the Face of Boe, the petrifying politician... 45 minutes was never going to be enough to do justice to them all.